Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Hawaii RC
Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish? >

Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?

Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Go kart guys shocked me too - and it's not like going there is cheap!

Dreaming is good. Everything that is worth doing starts with an idea or a dream.

Maybe we need to invite Mr. Pentecost to the track and give him some ideas.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was watching this and thought if only Hawaii could even come 10% close to this, we would have better support from public sectors. Or have kids these days lost the motor skills to even wrench toy cars

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
I was watching this and thought if only Hawaii could even come 10% close to this, we would have better support from public sectors. Or have kids these days lost the motor skills to even wrench toy cars
It seems like a chicken and the egg problem with respect to getting more people interested and excited about R/C and having the venues to get people more interested and excited about R/C.

We have the perfect weather... But let's face it guys, spending all day under the hot sun is not so fun. Anyone going to put a roof over those driver's stands at BCRI?

Price is really not an issue... There are plenty of reasonably priced hobby grade RTRs out there, but I think the toy grade cars leave a bad taste in people's mouth about the reliablity of R/C cars and what happens when they break.

What I think we need is:

1. More opportunites for people to try hobby grade R/C cars to see how much fun they are.

The small track at BCRI is perfect for this, because if you can get some people to try some low cost RTRs, for which the parts are readily available, they might actually buy one.

So many people go through that place every year, why can't they be given the opportunity to try some decent hobby grade cars without having to rent them? Give groups of maybe 5-10 some basic instruction, limit the throttle to prevent any major damage and give them some track time.

School fun fair booth. This might work with some 1/18 scale cars. Not only that, the fair can charge people for trying the cars. So it's a win-win situation.

2. Better publicity

I'm not talking about advertising, because that actually cost money!

Getting coverage on O/C 16 (invite someone that has a show to the track) and Mid-week (have someone write an article, post event results, post info about an upcoming event, take a pic and submit it, whatever they will accept!)

The build the track event at Aloha Tower was an awesome idea, but how many local people hang at Aloha Tower? And the parking is kinda junk! Need to do something like that at one of the malls or somewhere in Kapolei to give it way more exposure.

#. Insert your idea here

I certainly don't have the all the answers. What do you think? What do you think would get people in this state excited about R/C? Maybe Hawaii just isn't cut out for R/C. Maybe it's something that people take up because it's cold outside and they have nothing better to do.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

rmdhawaii do you race at RWH or TRCC? The problem is if we can't get people like you who want to see the hobby grow come out then how can we get Joe Blow to come out. It's all good to talk about it but everyone needs to put up or shut up, bottom line. I'm not posting this to piss anyone off or discourage anyone, I will be the first one to help any new racer who comes out to the track. We have a pretty good facility at RWH now but we need people to just come out and see for themselves and expirence it in person before it's to late and we are left with nothing again.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AOD View Post
rmdhawaii do you race at RWH or TRCC? The problem is if we can't get people like you who want to see the hobby grow come out then how can we get Joe Blow to come out. It's all good to talk about it but everyone needs to put up or shut up, bottom line. I'm not posting this to piss anyone off or discourage anyone, I will be the first one to help any new racer who comes out to the track. We have a pretty good facility at RWH now but we need people to just come out and see for themselves and expirence it in person before it's to late and we are left with nothing again.
+1 It is important to participate so one can experience first hand what the racers needs are and to be open minded to various suggestions. Assuming what the racers want from your own perspective is like putting a noose around the RC "community". I know we can't make everyone happy, but we need to accommodate to as much people as we can. Lots of people won't raise a voice, so by the time you realize that there is a problem, it is too late...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

I understand all too well what you guys are saying, and your points are well taken, so no worries about pissing anybody off.

The whole point of this thread was to get people's opinions and ideas, and I certainly appreciate that people took the time to share what they think.

Where do things go from here? Who knows? Unexpected things kind of just happen sometimes.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE

Where do things go from here? Who knows? Unexpected things kind of just happen sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Come out and race, right now we have a nice outdoor facility and a great core group of racers. All are more than willing to help out someone new or not new and just getting back into racing.

For now lets work with the fine facility we have and GROW our base of racers. Then, maybe there can be talk of more facilities.

RWH is a non-profit org. They don't make any money from the RC side (what money that is brough in dosent cover the operating cost of the RC side. Boxcar covers the operating cost... almost, sometimes it dosent), however BC has spent thousands of hours working his tail off making RWH a better facility. And if people knew the trials and tribulations that BC has been through the last few years you would more than appreciate what he has done at RWH.

So I ask all of you that "lurk" in here. Give it a shot and come out and have some fun.... who knows ya might even make some new friends.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

nostalgia of the hawaii talks forums

But in honesty most of the opinions are voiced at the drivers meetings during race day. Indoor track? we need to work with the awesome facility we have already up in Kunia.

Im glad to see Sein interested in F1 and Bobby wanting to come play. Hope to see you guys soon on the asphalt!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

I would like to race but lack the proper equipment to do so. I have a 17.5 brushless in a touring car but it does not have boost and I'm still running nimh.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT View Post
I would like to race but lack the proper equipment to do so. I have a 17.5 brushless in a touring car but it does not have boost and I'm still running nimh.
We have a GT class that is 17.5 non boost, nimh batteries will be fine. Sometimes racers have items for sale such as batteries.... and they are usually at a very discounted price.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

I thought it was a spec class and you had to run a specific esc and motor combo.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
AOD
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT View Post
I thought it was a spec class and you had to run a specific esc and motor combo.
They decided to open it up to see if it would help to get more ppl out.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

They decided to open it up to see if it would help to get more ppl out.
Thanks maybe I'll check it out.

Goooo Frank!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default My 2 cents

So I don't live on your island but I do have a relative that does and races with you guys all the time so were always watching eachothers races and results. I love the topic and wanted to chime on from an outsiders perspective.. Here in Boise we just got our first indoor clay track and I gotta say its KILLING IT!! We are seeing people we have never seen before and practice nights are crazy! But with that has come new problems.. The core guys if thats what you want to call us, have found it to be almost worse due to so many bashers!! You cant go on any night and drive because theres 30 bashers that have no desire to race or improve. Now thats all great but I think our outdoor track this summer will get all the good core racers and this indoor will get all the new bashers,,, could be wrong.. The 1 thing I love of this new place is how much we can drive and race.. They are open almost every night and race 2 times a week! So maybe if you can just get the masses to come out and keep the track groomed and have alot of practice and race opportunites and most important try and have FUN you should be dialed!! I hope to come visit here soon and bring my toys to do some racing with you fellas!!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who's your relative?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.