Wiki Posts
Search

What it cost to race on-road electric

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by paul18t
Thanks for posting this info. I'm just getting back into R/C cars after about 12 years and so much has changed... brushless, lipos, 2.4 ghz are all new stuff for me.

Back in the day, I quit R/C because me and my firends couldn't find any good places to bash without getting kicked out or hassled. When I found out about the Kunia track, first thing I did was pull out all my gear from storage (tamiya ta03 and ff02) and headed down to Kunia. LOL. Still works and I still can't drive! So rusty....but it's so fun to run on a nice track like this.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my electronics and was wondering where are folks getting their brushless 17.5 combo from? Also batteries and chargers. A lot of the places I've looked up seem to be out-of-stock on 17.5 stock esc/motor combos.

I'd like to keep using my old AM and FM futaba radios to save money. But are these even allowed anymore?

Thanks again!

Paul
First off, yes you can use the radio equipment you have now. But honestly you should look into a 2.4ghz system, there are many very affordable systems out there. Now as far as motors, you can try A Main hobbies, Stormer or any of the other shops, they should have something. For batteries, Hobbypartz.com have the GensAce lipos for less than $40.00 . For chargers and ESC's don't buy cheap stuff as you will regret it. Buy something that you can use as you progress. It will be cheaper in the long run.

And, before you spend a dime. Come by the track and see what everyone else is running and ask questions, were all happy to answer any you have.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

One of the good things about the newer radio technologies is that if you have an older radio...no one is on your frequency anymore That said the new 2.4ghz stuff is way cool and works very well. No more worrying about crystals at all!

As for new motors and ESCs...if you decide to race with us and race in the GT class then the Speed Passion combo that used to be our spec motor and ESC is still a competitive package for a very low cost. But if you are considering running any kind of dynamic timing in the future you might as well spend the money on an ESC that can do dynamic timing. IMO the best value for the money and arguably the hottest ESC on the market still is the Tekin RS, even after all these years. The ability to just download new software every time an improvement is made set this ESC apart from the get go...and now the software is so good it is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, ESC out there. Most of the other top brands are now upgradeable as well so you really can't go wrong with any of them...so long as you stick to a good name brand.

And chargers...Bob is right on that one. You really don't want to cheap out on a charger as you risk damaging your batteries. That said there are many good ESCs out there for a reasonably low price...not cheap...but reasonably low. Buy quality and you won't have a problem.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If anyone is looking into a 12scale car, I have one for sale.

I am including everything except esc and radio.

Ship it all for 325.

PM for details and pictures.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which batt, charger, brushless, etc?

Does anyone know if these items are any good?

Duratrax 245 AC/DC charger - capability to charge 2 batteries at the same time and it has power supply and lipo balancer built-in so less to carry around. I think this is about $125.

Novak Club Brushless 17.5 system - site says one-touch-and-go programming for novices like me. It sounds easy to set-up plus it's $119 which is easier on the wallet than most brushless systems.

As for batteries, are all hard case lipos the same size? I saw the recommendation for the Gen Ace Lipo. Does anyone know if it will fit a Tamiya TB03 ?

Is there anything else I need to get re-started in this sport? I'm thinking toolkits or carrying cases? I have my old futaba AM and FM radios, new nicd packs, and old astro flight nicd charger. We're going to retire the old FF02 and TA03 and place them on the shelf.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if these items are any good?

Duratrax 245 AC/DC charger - capability to charge 2 batteries at the same time and it has power supply and lipo balancer built-in so less to carry around. I think this is about $125.

If you need to charge 2 batteries at a time you can get away with the Duratrax 245 but the wattage is a little low, most chargers are at least 50 watts. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4108 this charger is due out in the next week or so and may be a better option for ya.

Novak Club Brushless 17.5 system - site says one-touch-and-go programming for novices like me. It sounds easy to set-up plus it's $119 which is easier on the wallet than most brushless systems.

Speed Passion has their "Citrix" line, they are very good ESC's and the motors are solid also. You can find them for about $100.

As for batteries, are all hard case lipos the same size? I saw the recommendation for the Gen Ace Lipo. Does anyone know if it will fit a Tamiya TB03 ?

Best way to find out if a Gens Ace battery will fit is to stop by the track and one of us with one can let you use it to check and see. You can't go wrong with the Gens Ace for the money.

Is there anything else I need to get re-started in this sport? I'm thinking toolkits or carrying cases? I have my old futaba AM and FM radios, new nicd packs, and old astro flight nicd charger. We're going to retire the old FF02 and TA03 and place them on the shelf.

To start out, anything that will carry what you need will work, as far as tools if you don't have something ask, someone at the track most likely will.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Answers in red.....

Last edited by HawaiiBob; 03-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i got the new charger from hitec the x4 ac plus part#44167 and its awesome i charge 4 4cell batt. at the same time all at 5amps and it plugs straight in to the wall no need power supply
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

That Hitec charger is nice. It sounds like it can do it all. Of course it comes at a price. Gonna have to see how much of my budget I have left for it.

For batteries, the Gens Ace batteries must be really popular since they are out of stock. By the way, which is better Deans plugs or Traxxas plugs? I used to use Deans plugs before. Also, is it really hard to change plug type on a lipo battery? For example, If I buy a battery with a Traxxas plug on it, can I cut it off and solder a Deans plug on it safely? I read somewhere that messing with Lipo batteries connectors was a really bad idea.

Also, anyone know where that speed passion cirtix 17.5 brushless esc/motor combo is in stock?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you.

Paul
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

HobbyPartz has been waiting for a container to come in for a bit now...it was due a week ago but was delayed. They expect some to arrive at the end of the week.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Also, anyone know where that speed passion cirtix 17.5 brushless esc/motor combo is in stock?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you.

Paul
If you go to the speedpassion usa site they have the speedo on sale for $60.00. I have a speedpassion 17.5 motor you can have, just let me know if you want it and I will bring it to the track on Sunday.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AOD
If you go to the speedpassion usa site they have the speedo on sale for $60.00. I have a speedpassion 17.5 motor you can have, just let me know if you want it and I will bring it to the track on Sunday.
Thanks for the info. Going to check out the speedpassion site after this.

I'm not sure if I can make it to the track on Sunday though. Have to ask the wife. But just let me know how much you want for the motor. I can meet up with you next time and bring some moolah.

Thanks again!

Paul
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
HobbyPartz has been waiting for a container to come in for a bit now...it was due a week ago but was delayed. They expect some to arrive at the end of the week.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep checking their website periodically then. I was going to order another brand battery instead.

EDIT: Actually they have this one in stock and it looks like it would fit.

GENS ACE 4000mah 2S1P 7.4V 30C Hard Case Lipo Battery ROAR Approved (Direct Version)

Is there a big performance difference from 30C to 40C or even 50C ?

Also, does direct version mean that the wires are soldered on with plugs already attached? If so, can I change them safely to Deans plugs?

Thanks again.

Paul

Last edited by paul18t; 03-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. I'll keep checking their website periodically then. I was going to order another brand battery instead.

EDIT: Actually they have this one in stock and it looks like it would fit.

GENS ACE 4000mah 2S1P 7.4V 30C Hard Case Lipo Battery ROAR Approved (Direct Version)

Is there a big performance difference from 30C to 40C or even 50C ?

Also, does direct version mean that the wires are soldered on with plugs already attached? If so, can I change them safely to Deans plugs?

Thanks again.

Paul
BC uses that same lipo in his 17.5 gt car. Yes you can change the connector just be careful while soldering so you don't short the battery. You won't see any difference in the c ratings until you start using a boosted esc or run mod motors.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. Going to check out the speedpassion site after this.

I'm not sure if I can make it to the track on Sunday though. Have to ask the wife. But just let me know how much you want for the motor. I can meet up with you next time and bring some moolah.

Thanks again!

Paul
Motor is a freebie! Just let me know what race day you can come to the track and I will bring it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AOD
Motor is a freebie! Just let me know what race day you can come to the track and I will bring it.
+1 anything to help our club grow
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AOD
Whoa ! Awesome! I will definitely let you know. BTW, so I told one of my friends from 12 years ago about the Kunia track and he got excited and he told his friend... They've both pulled out their gear from storage to see what still works. So I think there will be at least a couple of new old-guys around more often.

Thanks again.

Paul

Last edited by paul18t; 03-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.