Wiki Posts
Search

Radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Radio advice

I have been racing for a while now using a basic 2.4 radio - the Futaba 3PM. Is there a measurable performance or settings advantage to upgrading the Tx/Rx in my racing vehicles. I am considering the Futaba 4PKS-R, 4PLS and the Radiopost.

Any other brands or models to consider? Spektrum?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like the Airtronics radios. I use the MT-4 which is their mid range radio.

I doubt you would notice a difference. The main advantage to the newer radios is the smaller receivers that are easier to find space for in your car.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

I think the feel of the TX in your hands is one of the most important features assuming it's a solid platform that doesn't glitch out.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the KO EX-10 is the best feeling radio i have ever had in my hands. the response time for the higher end radios is faster also, but you dont notice it until you use one for a while and try to go back to a mid rage radio, then they just feel sluggish. the drop down and tilt wheel makes a big difference is comfort as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Double

Last edited by SUPERLOOPER; 01-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

"the response time for the higher end radios is faster also, but you dont notice it until you use one for a while and try to go back to a mid rage radio, then they just feel sluggish."

100% correct right here. The 4 PKS-R vs the 4 PL is night and day difference in response time. I love my 4 PKS-R btw.

Brian

Last edited by SUPERLOOPER; 01-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Go to the track and ask people if you can hold their radio.

I am debating a futaba 4pk(original 4pk) or a dx4r pro, both high end radios with great response times. I have had an M8 and M11x and borrowing a buddies dx3r now.

I know that since using the dx3r I not only want, but desire a drop down. But I want to keep the weight down, unlike the bricks the M8 and M11x were.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Captcha
Go to the track and ask people if you can hold their radio.
I agree with this. I also use a Futaba 3PM, been using it since it first came out. I started with a Futaba as a kid and I have been using them ever since. The Futaba 3PM feels comfortable to me and I just can't switch because anything else feels 'off'.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I picked up a used 4PK 2 years back and love it still. The ergonomics of the radio is just as, if not more important then the speed and response. Receivers are not cheap (especially compared to a 4PL or Spektrum), but the quality is top notch. I was never happy with the feel of the Spektrum's, and while I liked my KO Helios, the 4PK just fits more comfortably to me.

As someone else said, get your hands on some radios and see what feels right. Drop downs and wheel sizes can all be changed on most decent units too.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is their a huge difference between the Airtronics radios and Spektrum radios as far as response and glitching?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TLR Chipmunk
Is their a huge difference between the Airtronics radios and Spektrum radios as far as response and glitching?
I've only used spektrum and never had any glitching issues other than when ran with the wrong ESC/BEC & servo combo and caused brown outs. Mostly when using high amp 2s applications and a power hungry servo like a savox.

I used spektrum for all my airplan and heli stuff prior to getting into racing and never had issues and the price was right so I just stuck with it.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cptxaggie
I have been racing for a while now using a basic 2.4 radio - the Futaba 3PM. Is there a measurable performance or settings advantage to upgrading the Tx/Rx in my racing vehicles. I am considering the Futaba 4PKS-R, 4PLS and the Radiopost.

Any other brands or models to consider? Spektrum?
I used to own a futaba 4pl and I thought it was perfect for me until I used a friends 4pk. I have been using the 4pk for the past year and love it. I would vote 4pk or new model like Looper has. I'm not sure what the differences are between 4pk and 4pks-r though. Only other remote I would try is m-12 but I have 6+ Receivers for mine and that's too big of an investment to switch brands.

BTW I have a spare futaba 4pk with nylon futaba carrying case and one receiver for $200 local.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ATLiens
I used to own a futaba 4pl and I thought it was perfect for me until I used a friends 4pk. I have been using the 4pk for the past year and love it. I would vote 4pk or new model like Looper has. I'm not sure what the differences are between 4pk and 4pks-r though. Only other remote I would try is m-12 but I have 6+ Receivers for mine and that's too big of an investment to switch brands.

BTW I have a spare futaba 4pk with nylon futaba carrying case and one receiver for $200 local.
The difference is about 5% faster. LOL
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by ATLiens

I am interested in the spare 4PK!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by cptxaggie
I am interested in the spare 4PK!
Especially since I just found out my 6 Rx will work with the 4PK, supposedly without any performance loss.