Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Georgia Racing
HCRCR-No Guarantees on MRT Transponders working! >

HCRCR-No Guarantees on MRT Transponders working!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HCRCR-No Guarantees on MRT Transponders working!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Correct, Hybrids work on new and old, and will be the best choice for the time being as you can run them everywhere. You do not get the new RC4 features, but you can run on all tracks.
Actually, if the newest RC4 software/decoder is being used at said track, the RC4 hybrid DOES support the 'new RC4 features' which measures both, ambient temperature and voltage.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
Actually, if the newest RC4 software/decoder is being used at said track, the RC4 hybrid DOES support the 'new RC4 features' which measures both, ambient temperature and voltage.

So explain how you measure temp and voltage with just a positive and negative wire?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

External temp gun and voltmeter Blane geez...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rednck21
So explain how you measure temp and voltage with just a positive and negative wire?
because, the third wire only sends signal from the radio to adjust voltage for input (ie turn the servo one way or the other). Voltage is measured from the amount of current the positive and negative wire are sending, Volt meters only have two wires :-p I have no idea on the temp sensor or how it works, it could have something to do with the third wire for all I know but I imagine that the temp sensor would be inside the transponder as well
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rednck21
Just reading the website, boss.

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e...id_transponder

Oh and yes, you can most absolutely measure ambient temperature and voltage very easily.. It's all built onto the transponder board, itself. Red and Black just powers the transponder, itself. Which in turn, transmits the data to the loop, and ultimately into the scoring software... I mean, I'm only an engineer and all

Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Two pieces of mostly useless information.

Ambient temp at the transponder? What's the point of that? Are we supposed to attach our transponders directly to our motors?

Voltage at the receiver? I guess it'll let you know how well your BEC is working. You'll still have no idea what your *actual* battery is doing. I guess it could help you decide if you really need that cap or not.

Edit 1:
Just thought about people running receiver packs. Maybe you could go longer between recharges if you had more info about that voltage? Seems iffy.

Edit 2:
Won't help with the cap decision. Since voltage it's only recorded at the loop chances are your throttle and steering will be at about the same position lap after lap and the voltage should be the same unless you are running really crappy batteries.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FauxMako
Two pieces of mostly useless information.

Ambient temp at the transponder? What's the point of that? Are we supposed to attach our transponders directly to our motors?

Voltage at the receiver? I guess it'll let you know how well your BEC is working. You'll still have no idea what your *actual* battery is doing. I guess it could help you decide if you really need that cap or not.

Edit 1:
Just thought about people running receiver packs. Maybe you could go longer between recharges if you had more info about that voltage? Seems iffy.

Edit 2:
Won't help with the cap decision. Since voltage it's only recorded at the loop chances are your throttle and steering will be at about the same position lap after lap and the voltage should be the same unless you are running really crappy batteries.
Its useful if your transponder is only hitting periodically. Some people have problems with that and knowing the voltage will let you know if its a voltage problem, or a location problem
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

The telemetry can be very useful.

True having the ambient temp is useless! I spoke with MyLaps a while back and suggested that it would be a great feature and selling point if the transponder could read motor temp by way of an external temp sensor. Anyone remember the MIP temp probes that mounted it the car and had a sensor wire that wrapped around the motor?

And what if this temp and voltage could be displayed on a monitor in the pits? It would eliminate those trips to the pits to check temps. Also if the transponder were wired to the battery by way of a Y connector it would read direct from the battery! The transponders have an input voltage range of 3 to 14 volts.

And what if instead of a monitor in the pits you could get voltage and temps as well as lap times to your smart phone?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Charge your Battery. Motor smoking when you think it should,power you think it should have. Run it to it blows.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
Holy shneike, sure enough!!

MYLAPS Americas Office
2030 Powers Ferry Road (South East)
Suite 110
Atlanta, GA 30339
(678) 816-4000
Has anyone tried the drive by exchange?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cy1710
Charge your Battery. Motor smoking when you think it should,power you think it should have. Run it to it blows.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Its useful if your transponder is only hitting periodically. Some people have problems with that and knowing the voltage will let you know if its a voltage problem, or a location problem
I doubt it will help in that situation either. If the transponder is only being picked up periodically then the temp/voltage info will only be picked up periodically as well. If your transponder isn't being seen by the loop than you won't be getting any temp/voltage info either. If the decoder doesn't see the transponder it definitely won't see the temp/voltage info (or at least won't know which transponder to associate it with -- i.e., if it does somehow get a temp without a transponder number to associate it to).
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like cake...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
I like cake...

Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When did we get ice cream?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.