Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Georgia Racing
+++?ProtoTypes at Hot Shot RC?+++ >

+++?ProtoTypes at Hot Shot RC?+++

+++?ProtoTypes at Hot Shot RC?+++

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Thanks again! I just got confused with the terminology and then when I tried to follow the USGT Thread... lol What tires work best?
Most of us are running the d compound x pattern tires in usgt with good success. tire wear is a little quick but not horrible.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wristpin
just wondering if i have an old skool 10l pan car would be able to run this class? been out rc scene for awhile
Find an old Corally F1 and run 1/12 whels and tires on it. Foam only but it works.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
hey Ned. Good to hear from you again. Give a heads up when you will be coming down and I will be sure to have the f1 ready.

I will have to do some research on the Porsche gt 1. You may be correct that it is not a prototype. Seems I remember watching that car go up against the panoz and the BMW at road Atlanta at petit lemans one year. I will let everyone know what I find out.

the current lmp classes are direct descendants from the group c cars and even the can am cars before them. group c turned into the wsc or world class sportscar class which evolved into the lmp classes today. The ford gt ran in the gt class and is not a prototype. It is usually classified as a gt 2 class car.

The paint is still being discussed although realistic paint has been decided upon. not sure if you will be able to take a f1 or NASCAR paint job and put it on a lmp or group c car.

just a heads up. it looks like a few of us will be in Nashville this weekend. I won't be back at hotshot until the following weekend.
Thanks for the info! Probably be a few weeks before I get over there, going to Cinci, Oh to run 1/8 Gas in a couple of weeks and gotta get ready for that trip.

I think my confusion on the "Prototype class" results from my age! Current LMP/LMP2/Daytona Prototypes are certainly a mixed bag. When guys talk about ultra fast, B to the wall racers, F1 fits but in my mind only LMP cars are truly even close. DP cars are SPEC cars! Back in the Day ('80's?), the Prototypes were more technical than F1, LMP, is in that league, IMO.
Including the Porsche 962 and GT1 (which probably was a "Prototype" in it's day) confuses things in my mind as we are mixing cars that raced over a LOONG time period, Current LMP Courage back to Porsche 962 from the 1980's.

(The reason I mentioned that my calling the FORD GT Prototype confused you, is I was thinking of the GT40, GT40 MkII, and Mk IV. They were defiinatly prototypes. Our age difference has me thinking of ORIGINALS and you of the MODERN ones!! The MkII and MKIV won LeMans as Prototypes, the GT40 MK1 raced as a Prototype until '68 when Prototypes were limited to 3.0l and since there were over 50 examples of the 40 it raced as a GT car with the 5.0l and won in both '68 and '69 (same car!). Thought you might be interested in some history ;-))

Anywho, I'll try to keep up as the rules are finalized, but the class sounds too complicated and probably too fast for me!! I was attracted to the scale aspect, ie USVTA and USGT... Looks like F1 had pretty much died, eh? Too bad...
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

There is a cycle to on-road RC, and F1 is no exception. Most of the on-road classes and racing slows down during the summer. It seems people want to go outside, vacation, spend time with familes, silly stuff like that. Also, it is the off-road season, when all the outdoor dirt tracks are hopping.

VTA is still strong, USGT is building up, and just recently 12th scale has regained some followers (we had a 10 c ar main 2 weeks ago).

As someone not participating in it (F1/USGT) but looking in, it seems you have a lot of the same people doing USGT and F1. The motor is the same, the times are not horribly different, and this is a way to get those F1 chassis's being used in a faster more advanced class. VTA is my slower class, 12th scale my faster. This is for those that can do USGT as their slower and Prototypes as their faster, and as they already have the chassis and esc, it's a motor, tire, and body swap and good to go.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Thanks for the info! Probably be a few weeks before I get over there, going to Cinci, Oh to run 1/8 Gas in a couple of weeks and gotta get ready for that trip.

I think my confusion on the "Prototype class" results from my age! Current LMP/LMP2/Daytona Prototypes are certainly a mixed bag. When guys talk about ultra fast, B to the wall racers, F1 fits but in my mind only LMP cars are truly even close. DP cars are SPEC cars! Back in the Day ('80's?), the Prototypes were more technical than F1, LMP, is in that league, IMO.
Including the Porsche 962 and GT1 (which probably was a "Prototype" in it's day) confuses things in my mind as we are mixing cars that raced over a LOONG time period, Current LMP Courage back to Porsche 962 from the 1980's.

(The reason I mentioned that my calling the FORD GT Prototype confused you, is I was thinking of the GT40, GT40 MkII, and Mk IV. They were defiinatly prototypes. Our age difference has me thinking of ORIGINALS and you of the MODERN ones!! The MkII and MKIV won LeMans as Prototypes, the GT40 MK1 raced as a Prototype until '68 when Prototypes were limited to 3.0l and since there were over 50 examples of the 40 it raced as a GT car with the 5.0l and won in both '68 and '69 (same car!). Thought you might be interested in some history ;-))

Anywho, I'll try to keep up as the rules are finalized, but the class sounds too complicated and probably too fast for me!! I was attracted to the scale aspect, ie USVTA and USGT... Looks like F1 had pretty much died, eh? Too bad...
Don't let the age difference fool you too much. I have had the pleasure of watching a few gt 40s run in person and I have seen the 1967 lemans mkiv in the ford museum. I am very familiar with the originals although I did think you were referencing the new car. I know the old cars as the gt 40 and the new one as the ford gt.

F1 isn't gone its kinda on a break. a lot of the usgt drivers also race f1. When the usgt point series is running the f1 cars don't get used much. When the f1 series is running the iusgt cars slow down a little. We are holding steady with about 6 f1 racers. I'm pretty sure some f1 cars have let the usgt borrow their motor for a season though.

Keep tuned in on the prototype class. This is still very in its infancy and the first car has not hit the track yet. The rules are still being discussed but scale bodies will be a part of the rule set. I think the final class will be pretty simple but it will be fast.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default link to new body

IDK if you would consider this legal or not since its a new class but i figured id share this link to a pro line lmp body.
http://prolineracing.com/1-10-1-12-o...mp-clear-body/
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mattbennett1988
IDK if you would consider this legal or not since its a new class but i figured id share this link to a pro line lmp body.
http://prolineracing.com/1-10-1-12-o...mp-clear-body/
Sorry, Matt: according to the Rules on page 1: only 190mm bodies are allowed at this time.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hexonox
Sorry, Matt: according to the Rules on page 1: only 190mm bodies are allowed at this time.
200 mm should be allowed to open up selection. Besides the f103 and f109 and f104w are all 200mm. only the fgx is a true 190 but it is not solid axle. The f104 is 180mm. We are already going to be limited just because of our choice to run scale. However the body Matt linked too is not a scale body. it is a 1/10 1/12 style. I have heard great things about the aero of that body but it won't be a legal body for this class.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Body

Yea i figured it wouldnt be. Just throwin it out incase.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Post Update.

Hey guys to keep y'all up to speed as we are forming up the new class.
It has been brought to my attenion that the older f-1 chassis ie., the f109 & F103 are 200mm wide with foams and the newer f-1 chassis ie. f104, F10 and the like are 190mm with foams on the them, plus there several wheelbases among the vehicles....
We have decided that only 2 bodies will legal at this present time, both are from McAllister and both are Prototypes, Daytona Prototypes to be exact.
First is the #289 Corvette Daytona Prototype for the sub 200mm chassis and the #255 MX-P Daytona Prototype for the 200mm chassis.
I personally spoke with McAllister about fitment & both bodies will work, I will have several early next week.
The bodies are readily available and made in the United States so you don't have to deal with international shipping.

George, as for using cheater F-1 Chassis', thats out. the pancars converted to f1 are not eligible for this and should used for WGT.

Please keep the commits coming I read all and comment where necessary. We at HotShot are very excited about this new class and are looking forward to seeing cars on the track.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Pics

Yall should post up some pics of your protos. When you get them rdy
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mattbennett1988
Yall should post up some pics of your protos. When you get them rdy
Will do.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

George, as for using cheater F-1 Chassis', thats out. the pancars converted to f1 are not eligible for this and should used for WGT.

That means poor "like me" don't get to race. Maybe next year.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Although the body isn't legal the F103 chassis under it is. Maybe it will give a little inspiration for you guys that need to go fast!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

hey, promodvette; as for now any prototype body will be legal. just get the rest of it ready and your good to go.