New track in Winder, Ga.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
ridepate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Braselton, Ga.
Posts: 122
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New track in Winder, Ga.

Guess I'm promoting for somebody I don't even know.............

I picked-up a flier @ H-Town in Duluth yesterday. Wish I could scan it but my POS scanners broke....

" Opening Soon"
"Unit Speedway"
"600 Atlanta Hwy NW Winder, Ga. 30680"
"(770) 791-0004"
"R/C Off-Road track"
"FREE TRACK-TIME-SAT JUNE 9"
"Noon-6pm"
"We need feedback!!!"
"Come run you cars and help us break-in the track"

There is a pic of the track and stand on the flier and somebodies put some work into this thing. Not some back-yard type of track. Very professionally built and designed from what the pic shows.We'll be there!!!!!!
ridepate is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
Guess I'm promoting for somebody I don't even know.............

I picked-up a flier @ H-Town in Duluth yesterday. Wish I could scan it but my POS scanners broke....

" Opening Soon"
"Unit Speedway"
"600 Atlanta Hwy NW Winder, Ga. 30680"
"(770) 791-0004"
"R/C Off-Road track"
"FREE TRACK-TIME-SAT JUNE 9"
"Noon-6pm"
"We need feedback!!!"
"Come run you cars and help us break-in the track"

There is a pic of the track and stand on the flier and somebodies put some work into this thing. Not some back-yard type of track. Very professionally built and designed from what the pic shows.We'll be there!!!!!!

Another off road track? How about an on road or oval. Heck even a rc drag strip would be nice. I would even be happy with a true rally car track.
6376vette is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:35 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 263
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Any pictures of the track?
TDI793 is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
LMRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 2,739
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Another off road track? How about an on road or oval.
There are already a few dirt oval tracks popping up, as for onroad there are a few tracks already that dont get much of a turnout, adding to that would only dilute the field more and cause more strain on the tracks
LMRacing is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Winner's Circle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 1,193
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
There are already a few dirt oval tracks popping up, as for onroad there are a few tracks already that dont get much of a turnout, adding to that would only dilute the field more and cause more strain on the tracks
There are people running at the Sugarbowl in Sugar Hill every weekend on both the dirt track and the on-road track.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
 
Bob Malphurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Monroe, GA USA
Posts: 1,162
Default

Been aware of this track for about a month. Joel (Stickman) checked it out last week said it was real big and very well put together. Told me at the AMS it was twice that size which would make for a bit less than a minute lap time. I'm going there tomorrow or Tues, about 15 minutes from the house.
Bob Malphurs is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
ridepate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Braselton, Ga.
Posts: 122
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Went and checked it out yesterday. No water and was like an ice-skating rink (of course not knowing ,my setup sucked). Some water was being applied via hose but it dried-up pretty quickly. I'm just putting my thoughts out there. Mike said that's what they want.
Just my observations, not knocking any of the hard-work. Any new track needs tweeking.
It seems to be more geared/suited towards 1/8 scale.
No place for many marshals to stand so a lot of running across the track, not a good thing.
The jumps, especially the twin doubles in front of the drivers stand are wayyyyy too big for 10th. Make them tabletops.
Little too busy for my liking- The edging needs to be broken-up some. Too much black-pipe out there. A contrast thing.

It could actually be split into two-tracks. There's enough room.

Like I said not a knock. You can see there has been a LOT of effort and money that's been and being put into this site. I believe it will be on top of racers lists in the not too distant future. Good job guys!!
ridepate is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
  #8  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Went by and drove on the track. It was a pretty fun lay out. My son and Paul Elliot helped make a few changes and it got better. The owners seem real eager to make the track a success and i'm all for another track in the area, especially one 14 miles from home! I timed Jonathan a lap or 2 and they are around 37 sec. laps. He runs pro buggy and at most tracks he runs in the low to mid 30 sec. range so that's about right. The layout looked like it was working for the sct both 2wd sct and 4wd sct also.

Last edited by romax; 06-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
romax is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
There are already a few dirt oval tracks popping up, as for onroad there are a few tracks already that dont get much of a turnout, adding to that would only dilute the field more and cause more strain on the tracks
That's why I'm concerned about off road. Seems like there is a track of the month popping up lately. How many tracks before they are all diluted?

As far as on road in north Georgia there are two. One in marietta that has a good turnout and one in north Georgia near Tennessee that hasn't announced the first race yet. (I know why. Technical difficulties so I don't need an explanation). Sugar bowl doesn't count. It is not reliable organized racing. It seems to be more along the lines of some guys hanging out and turning laps which is cool and probably a complete blast but it is not reliable organized racing. Doesn't even seem to be open and inclusive to all being that I hardly see a sugar bowl post until after the day has been run. I have gone out there 3 times to try and meet some of the guys and no one is ever there on Saturdays or Sundays.

If the off road community can support yet another new track then go for it. I am looking forward to all of these tracks succeeding and being around for years to come. I would also like the see the off road tracks around here all host national events. Just concerned that the number of tracks will soon out pace the number of racers. I may even put some old tires on and try the off road thing again. I suck at off road and I am much better at on road but who knows what may happen next.
6376vette is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 263
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know of a way to get in touch with the track owner about coming by? The number posted above appears to be for the business he owns where the track is located, and that is not open on Monday and Tuesday.
TDI793 is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Wait until Wednesday? lol
MadRussian is offline  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
That's why I'm concerned about off road. Seems like there is a track of the month popping up lately. How many tracks before they are all diluted?

As far as on road in north Georgia there are two. One in marietta that has a good turnout and one in north Georgia near Tennessee that hasn't announced the first race yet. (I know why. Technical difficulties so I don't need an explanation). Sugar bowl doesn't count. It is not reliable organized racing. It seems to be more along the lines of some guys hanging out and turning laps which is cool and probably a complete blast but it is not reliable organized racing. Doesn't even seem to be open and inclusive to all being that I hardly see a sugar bowl post until after the day has been run. I have gone out there 3 times to try and meet some of the guys and no one is ever there on Saturdays or Sundays.

If the off road community can support yet another new track then go for it. I am looking forward to all of these tracks succeeding and being around for years to come. I would also like the see the off road tracks around here all host national events. Just concerned that the number of tracks will soon out pace the number of racers. I may even put some old tires on and try the off road thing again. I suck at off road and I am much better at on road but who knows what may happen next.
I don't think you are aware that there are less off-road tracks now than just a few years ago.
Lets see here. Warner robins rc=gone, Pineland rc =gone, Atl RC SX=gone, MCRC=gone, VRP=gone, columbus hobbytown rc =gone, rodslingers, gone, I am sure I am missing several also.
Loganville is temporarily shut down, no races at HCRCR on the books, leaving us nowhere to race that isn't 3 hours away for me.

I am happy as hell to see an offroad track in Winder.
Several onroad tracks have tried and couldn't get enough racers to keep it open. MARCA? Did you ever race there ans support it?
I recall when Bob Malphurs was still running races at Sugarbowl onroad, and he quit because the onroad guys bitched and moaned about so much, and didn't show enough that he stopped.

If you want an onroad track, build one, and best of luck with it, but you complaining about being flooded with offroad tracks is totally wrong.

Please list the tracks you stated "popping up offroad almost every month" I would sure like to be aware of them. The only ones new I know of are indoor electric only, Taps and LORC, thus leaving holes for offroad outdoor tracks to simply replace the ones we had a few years ago.

Sorry to go off on a rant but I am mindblown when people complain about something that is an imaginary problem and in reality is quite the opposite.

I listed 7 offroad tracks that are shutdown in the last few years.
What has replaced them to "dilute" the racing?

Instead of being negative and bitching about a new offroad track "popping up" be thankful in this horrid economy someone is filling an empty hole.
MadRussian is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
  #13  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Default

My name is Mike and I am the owner of Unit Speedway. I thank all the people that supported us last Sat. by coming out offering suggestions and helping to make our track get better. I realize that we still have some work to do and we are going to try to make this track a favorite for as many local drivers as possible.

What I need people to realize is that we are not trying to disrupt the r/c community in any way. We do not want to have any adverse affects on any other tracks or organizations. We opened this because through conversations with local r/c enthusiast we felt we could contribute to the sport.

As far as the dirt oval goes, it is going to be completely up to the drivers, we are going to give it some time and if we receive a large enough request for it we will accommodate that group of drivers to the best of our ability. Through my years of experience I have found that no matter what my opinion is it is truly the participants that make anything a success.

I will admit that I am new to the r/c track world and do not know everything, and I look forward to meeting everybody I can and learning what the sport needs that I can provide. That being said, again my name is Mike, come on out and meet me, shake my hand and tell me how we can try to make things better for your racing experience at Unit Speedway..
Unit_Speedway is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Atomicsickness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dacula, GA
Posts: 1,604
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Atomicsickness is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
rcbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,088
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Atomicsickness View Post
rcbo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.