Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Painting Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Painting Q

So, I've been trying to get a little better at painting and picking up whatever body I can find cheap on eBay. Hence the HPI Beetle I painted a couple of weeks ago.

This time I decided to try to do more than press the button on the top of the spray can and I put in a Parma mask. Everything good with the base coat and then this afternoon I pulled the mask out.

The problem is when I removed the mask a bunch of the glue stayed on the body and didn't come off with the mask.

I tried a fingernail but that just smears it.

I thought about using goo remover, but I'm worried that will take the paint off as well.

Anyone got any good ideas for removing the remaining mask glue without messing up the paint?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FauxMako
So, I've been trying to get a little better at painting and picking up whatever body I can find cheap on eBay. Hence the HPI Beetle I painted a couple of weeks ago.

This time I decided to try to do more than press the button on the top of the spray can and I put in a Parma mask. Everything good with the base coat and then this afternoon I pulled the mask out.

The problem is when I removed the mask a bunch of the glue stayed on the body and didn't come off with the mask.

I tried a fingernail but that just smears it.

I thought about using goo remover, but I'm worried that will take the paint off as well.

Anyone got any good ideas for removing the remaining mask glue without messing up the paint?
If you're using laquer paints they will eat thru the residue and shouldn't cause a problem. If you're really concerned about it when you peel off the masks crumple them up sticky side out and use it to blot where the residue remains and it should pull it off.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Xpress
If you're using laquer paints they will eat thru the residue and shouldn't cause a problem. If you're really concerned about it when you peel off the masks crumple them up sticky side out and use it to blot where the residue remains and it should pull it off.
Thanks! Sometimes I'm really dense. I've done that before for bad window masks but just didn't put 2 and 2 together.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FauxMako
Thanks! Sometimes I'm really dense. I've done that before for bad window masks but just didn't put 2 and 2 together.
Mike did you spray the fasmask on? If so maybe not enough coats. And did u dilute with distiller water. I found in spots I sprayed thin a bic pen top worked good as a pointy fingernail to scrape
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ATLiens
Mike did you spray the fasmask on? If so maybe not enough coats. And did u dilute with distiller water. I found in spots I sprayed thin a bic pen top worked good as a pointy fingernail to scrape
Just realized it was a decal masks... Hmmm I'm not sure what to use then maybe a q tip with denatured alcohol or goo gone on it once paint has fully dried
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

go to hobbytown; in the paint section there should be a can of ELO; easy lift off. this stuff is palstic safe and will remove any kind of paint from any plastic surface. i've had the same can for 8 years and it still works great!!!! will take tape residue off too. or you can try goo gone.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Frog tape and it pulled the left behind goo off pretty well.