Southside track anyone?

Old 01-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Southside track anyone?

I agree, SteveB. The main reason I haven't raced since I moved down here is the 100+ miles between me (Lagrange) and TFB. Just way too far to drive. There are guys up in Wisc that drive to Trackside every week from madison and farther but, we shouldn't have to do that in a city the size of Atlanta. TFB is a well run establisment but, it would help to have a place on the south side of atlanta. maybe near the airport. Didn't really mean to hijack this thread. maybe we can start a thread for a southside track. come to think of it. Atlanta seems to have a dirth of decent RC hobby shops. I mean Madison had 2 really good shops and one moderate one as far as rc is concerned and the population of atlanta is at least twice that of madison. I may be wrong but it just seems to make sense to me.

To answer the original post, I'd run 1/10, 1/12 and or 1/18 or even miniz. We just need to get it in a location that fills the southside gap of atlanta. maybe it could be done as a club. Marcca problems aside, the club format appeals most to newer drivers and drivers that run the smaller scale classes as the races can be more flexible and open. Maybe a partnership can be made with AROCC without hurting there relationship with the sugarbowl.

I'd be willing to put in effort 2 get something like this started. Any ideas anyone? Can the southside support a small track for newbies and people wanting to run the smaller classes on a weekly basis?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try setting up a track in the hobby shop parking lot down there. Then you will know if the support is there. Please let me know if it is, we sure can't get any one to race at the nice permanent facilities. We can't even get 40 people for our biggest nitro events during the nicest time of the year. Sure is sad. In a city of over 5 million only 40 racers, whereas some of these small florida towns can draw over 100 racers on the weekend. For some strange reason the people in this city are more inclined to play with off road than on road.My racing buddies and I have to travel at least 7 hours to race during the months of November to March, because TFB refuses to race gas in the winter, the owner prefers to race indoors on carpet.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Part of as I see it is that the hobby shops I've dealt with are just a business. The one where I bought my car doesn't have room for a track in or out doors. I went to a shop in Douglasville where they told me they set up a track in the parking lot every Saturday. I drove over there and the track was there, maybe 30feet by 15feet. Not much to it especially if you run nitro. Part of my problem is that I work retail so I don't have Saturdays to play like most people so I'm kinda stuck.
I'd love to see a Southside RC group get started and see if we can get a place to set up a decent sized track. I'd like to just meet up with people to play in a parking lot somewhere. I live in Morrow so if anyone interested let me know.

Steve
Old 01-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If Sunday is your only free day, and you race onroad your best bet is to come to the Sugarbowl. Gas races every sunday? TFB will start gas races in March on Saturday. I myself am from Columbus which is about 150 mile to both tracks about (1hr 50 min). If you really into it and want to race your going to have to travel. Your other option is to go to the hobbytown in Columbus they race off and onroad electric and nitro every other Sat and Sun they alternate weekends. They get a nice turn out for offroad but the tracks are really small but, it all depends on what you are yust to.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:27 PM

Blount,
Did I meet you at TFB last Wednesday? There was a guy there from Columbus while I was there checking the place out.

Steve
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by SteveB
Blount,
Did I meet you at TFB last Wednesday? There was a guy there from Columbus while I was there checking the place out.

Steve
I think you met Melvin Lee.......not Chay....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

grinder get an electric car then you don,t have to travel for 7 hours .and we don,t refuse to race it the way of the racers .hell look at arroc when last have they raced .the guys are getting ready for novak,snowbirds.we can,t tell them what to do .its their cars and their money .winter carpet get it
Old 01-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by red robinhood
grinder get an electric car then you don,t have to travel for 7 hours .and we don,t refuse to race it the way of the racers .hell look at arroc when last have they raced .the guys are getting ready for novak,snowbirds.we can,t tell them what to do .its their cars and their money .winter carpet get it

grinder only knows how to charge receiver and radio packs !!!!