VRC Pro

Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default VRC Pro

Anybody but me signed up and playing it yet? I've been running the weekly spec race and improving every week some.. Game doesn't feel "real" unless you are used to using a .2 transit speed servo, but I have been getting much faster running up at Lafayette the past couple of weeks because running laps in the game has aided in my ability to acctually see the race line on the track.

Just wondering really if anybody else has been running laps online but me
Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Try synap2012

Shon Harding has been on it forever. He is a beta tester for it so he had it before everyone else.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And just what is this VRP Pro you speak of?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I've been playing it as well. good for setup and coordination skills for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So expensive! What ever happened to buying software once?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
And just what is this VRP Pro you speak of?
VRC - Online Virtual On-Road RC racing.

Supposed to have an off-road version in the works (for years!).
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dane View Post
So expensive! What ever happened to buying software once?
your paying for the use of there servers. Maintenence and upkeep of those servers is expensive. Buying software once ended with the use of games on the internet. If you want an atari game you still only have to buy it once
Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

My only issue is paying a monthly fee, plus having to pay extra for tracks and cars seems silly. With other online games, either they are free to play, but you pay for upgrades, or they are a monthly fee, and you get all content in that fee. VRC hits you on both sides.

My biggest complaint about it is the loss of the computer cars. I enjoyed racing against other cars without having to go online, and VRC Pro does not have that anymore.

It works amazing with my Helios radio and the usb adapter though, and I think it is fairly accurate (not as much compared to my TC3, but much more so to the newer chassis' that I have driven at the track.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
My only issue is paying a monthly fee, plus having to pay extra for tracks and cars seems silly. With other online games, either they are free to play, but you pay for upgrades, or they are a monthly fee, and you get all content in that fee. VRC hits you on both sides.
VRC is no different than World of Warcraft, they charge you for all upgrades as well as for the game and monthly fees. They have had a very good run with that game and I think VRC is trying to follow suit. However you are mis-informed. While yes it costs game euros to buy extra tracks they do give you some tracks with the game and as well you get all the spec classes for free (and all anybody is running right now is spec, I shelled out some money for a track and a mod electric chassis and components and havn't had a chance to use them yet in the month I've been playing) as well you also get a credit each month depending on how much you have used the game to buy extra stuff and when you enter events at the end of the event you get some credits depending on how you placed. So while yes if you want it now you can have it now you can also wait and get it later.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
VRC is no different than World of Warcraft, they charge you for all upgrades as well as for the game and monthly fees. They have had a very good run with that game and I think VRC is trying to follow suit. However you are mis-informed. While yes it costs game euros to buy extra tracks they do give you some tracks with the game and as well you get all the spec classes for free (and all anybody is running right now is spec, I shelled out some money for a track and a mod electric chassis and components and havn't had a chance to use them yet in the month I've been playing) as well you also get a credit each month depending on how much you have used the game to buy extra stuff and when you enter events at the end of the event you get some credits depending on how you placed. So while yes if you want it now you can have it now you can also wait and get it later.
I played WoW, as well as EQ, EQ2, Rift, Aion, DAoC, and several others. I am not sure what additional upgrades you are referring to. Expansion packs yes, which came out every couple years. I am comparing it to the online stores that come with the play for free games, that you are compelled to buy potions, items, etc in order to reach the end game, or in some cases, play at all. The reason I do not consider expansions to be upgrades in that sense, is in most cases, you can go buy the latest expansion, and get not only the game, but the previous expansions all as part of it. Your initial cost is the game, the recurring is the monthly. All content is included under that structure.

I am not sure how I am misinformed, as you pointed out the same thing I did, that some extra features (tracks, cars, electronics) do cost extra. No they are not required to play. I would just expect that the monthly fee would cover more of those things. That you are limited on appearance items, and or decorations for your pit table, I am fine with, but that you have to pay extra for tracks and mod chassis' (my opinion only) I think that those should be included in the monthly fee. Yes you can earn Euro's by driving, and that is how I plan on buying future tracks and upgrades (the KM based monthly Euros, I am not good enough to win any through racing at this point).

This is all my opinion, and that being so, I would not say misinformed, but to each their own. Obviously I have the game, and play the game, which means that I paid for the game, and it is not a deal breaking issue, I am just stating my preference.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
your paying for the use of there servers. Maintenence and upkeep of those servers is expensive. Buying software once ended with the use of games on the internet. If you want an atari game you still only have to buy it once
I would like to know what maintance and upkeep you are talking about. I work in a data center where I work on Cisco, Sun, HP, IBM, NetAp servers. And there is no maintance or upkeep for those servers. The only time there is any maintance is when the server is installed, software update, or is the HB Card has gone bad.

I agree with the cost of using the servers and maybe upgrades, but not for maintance or upkeep.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

its the new model... pay to play, pay to produce.

surprised MS has not gone this route with Office or any other productivity package. Charge by the document...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcko View Post
its the new model... pay to play, pay to produce.

surprised MS has not gone this route with Office or any other productivity package. Charge by the document...
Because it would severely hurt their profit and market share. this game is a want for pprivate individuals to purchase. if a manufacturer came out with the same thing without the extra costs then people would get that one instead. if Microsoft , who sells a LOT to companies decided to charge by the document people and corporations would go to another company. You may ask what other product available compares to ms office? It wouldn't take long for someone to market the alternative and take all of Microsoft's profit.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I've been playing it as well. good for setup and coordination skills for me.
I've seen your driving. I'm not sure this program is worth the money your spending on it. your funds would be better directed at knitting.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Pfft! Good thing I am gone for another week and will forget your trash talk while I am on a florida beach...!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.