RC Legends

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default RC Legends

Just saw Snowbirds post up on FB about racing the legend cars again this year. I did not know they were still around. Got me thinking if that would be something good for Hot Shots or not? Just been thinking about just how much it truly does cost a new person to get into VTA or 1/12 vs the cost we use to be able to get into legends. it seems a relatively smaller investment and could then work there way up in classes instead of the full cost of a VTA car. Not saying its a class I would jump into but I could see throwing my daughter out there with one.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For those unfamiliar with the Legends class, is there a link to a description anywhere?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cptxaggie View Post
For those unfamiliar with the Legends class, is there a link to a description anywhere?
http://www.rjspeed.com/kits/Legends/Legends.html
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've acctually never seen one in person, but they look comparable to F1 in price and I have seen some people running those, as well you can use a lipo pack that would be usable in other classes if the racer decided to step up or a nimh pack, you can also get a ready to run car or a kit so those new to the hobby can get everything (minus battery and charger) in a convinent package. Just a thought. I have some intrest in F1, not that the class really has a big following, but I think Mini's as well would be a better option. At least some people in the area have the cars and we could set up some kind of an exibition where new people could see the cars going around the track to get the intrest in it.

Just my $.02 not that my opinion is really worth that much
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
We're talking Mod, right? /8)
Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a constrution company that sponsored me and another racer with Ledgends. We would get a printed ticket for our entry and anything we had to buy for the cars which had his company name on them. He ended up taking it off his taxes for advertising and he said it saved just over 400 + that year. Just find a sponsor, take an 8X10 pic so they can mount it at the company and enjoy cheap racing!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

this is the class that got me started on rc racing back in 1995 when Bolink had the permits to used them in rc.

I think back then you could buy the kit with motor, battery, tires, body for $75 and then you could spend another $100 on a Futaba Magnum Jr with ESC. Then another $50 on a charger and you were racing!

It was a fun class, easy to spec and control. Thre chassis had limited use however. NOt much good for anything else.

Could be an alternative...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcko View Post
this is the class that got me started on rc racing back in 1995 when Bolink had the permits to used them in rc.

I think back then you could buy the kit with motor, battery, tires, body for $75 and then you could spend another $100 on a Futaba Magnum Jr with ESC. Then another $50 on a charger and you were racing!

It was a fun class, easy to spec and control. Thre chassis had limited use however. NOt much good for anything else.

Could be an alternative...
The Bolink Legend is also the car that got me started racing. Raced them oval in the parking lot of Pit Stop Hobbies in Tampa, FL. I raced them with my father and had many enjoyable weekends with them. The hobby shop got a real good turn out. Had to be 30 or so every weekend.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
Just saw Snowbirds post up on FB about racing the legend cars again this year. I did not know they were still around. Got me thinking if that would be something good for Hot Shots or not? Just been thinking about just how much it truly does cost a new person to get into VTA or 1/12 vs the cost we use to be able to get into legends. it seems a relatively smaller investment and could then work there way up in classes instead of the full cost of a VTA car. Not saying its a class I would jump into but I could see throwing my daughter out there with one.
What did you guys have in mind for rules? Would they be Lipo and brushless friendly to keep it simple? This could actually be a fun class if enough ppl showed up.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jorge3-16 View Post
What did you guys have in mind for rules? Would they be Lipo and brushless friendly to keep it simple? This could actually be a fun class if enough ppl showed up.
Back in the day everything was spec except radio, speed control, and servo. spec chassis, spec motor, spec battery, spec tires, spec body (I think it was 3 of 4 choices). Even the spur and pinion was spec. very competitive cheap racing. No one had any advantages at all. all about the driver. there wasn't even much that could be set up/adjusted. That was the spirit of legend racing. low buck very even playing field.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default go karts

why not run team edge go karts instead.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
bmr
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I raced Legends long ago and enjoyed it for a little while. Stock motors and a 4 cell didn't do it for me for very long.

I'll chime in on the mini class also. I don't know anyone around that has a Legend, but there are a bunch of mini owners in the area. Minis are great because a box stock + bearings car can be just as competitive as one full of Tamiya blue parts. The main wear items are tires and bodies ( for some of us ) and both have cheaper priced non-Tamiya options. I've been a fan of running TCS rules with tire and body exceptions.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default mini

i agree with minis also.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Stopped by HobbyTown USA in Kennasaw today and it looks like they are going to start racing these on Sundays. I think its a great idea and a truly more inexpensive way to get new comers into the hobby. From the sounds of it they have a pretty old lap counting system with handout transponders so its another saving of $100. Can't wait and hope the class comes together. Hopefully we will then be able to run them at Hot Shot as well.

Time to start digging through all your old stuff to find old brushed motor speed controllers, NiCad chargers, cheaper steering servos and let the fun begin.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I dont think you would like this class Danny...

since you cant update chassis every other month

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.