R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Georgia Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing-77/)
-   -   Hobby Shops in the Atlanta area? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing/526283-hobby-shops-atlanta-area.html)

Turbotech 06-23-2011 06:15 AM

Hobby Shops in the Atlanta area?

Hay guys, I'm getting back into cars after being out flying for awhile...My question is, are there any car based hobby shops around the Atl besides Hobby Town? They have nothing, ever, that I need besides CA and broken dreams...

I stopped by Hot shots the other day to check out the track and it seemed pretty cool...Just looking for a local source of parts and impulse purchases...

Car I have now is a RC8Be, might be getting a 1/12 pan car soon to come out and play as well..

Thanks....

epoweredrc 06-23-2011 06:22 AM

Sounds like you have found two out of three shops that are around, I know someone said there is a shop in stockbridge but I already forgot the name of it, Turtle trax is in cartersville. they do all trucks ,we look forward to having you at HotShotRC

Team Turtle 06-23-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turbotech (Post 9295158)
Hay guys, I'm getting back into cars after being out flying for awhile...My question is, are there any car based hobby shops around the Atl besides Hobby Town? They have nothing, ever, that I need besides CA and broken dreams...

I stopped buy Hot shots the other day to check out the track and it seemed pretty cool...Just looking for a local source of parts and impulse purchases...

Car I have now is a RC8Be, might be getting a 1/12 pan car soon to come out and play as well..

Thanks....

Turtle Trax raceway in Cartersville. Off-road race shop and indoor track also outdoor track 20 min. from the shop. We cater to the electric racers primarily.

Turbotech 06-23-2011 06:34 AM

Cool info Turtle thanks, I'm in Acworth so you're just up the road from me...I'll come check it out soon.

MCSEDanny 06-23-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by epoweredrc (Post 9295174)
Sounds like you have found two out of three shops that are around, I know someone said there is a shop in stockbridge but I already forgot the name of it, Turtle trax is in cartersville. they do all trucks ,we look forward to having you at HotShotRC

I don't think that is a fair statement. They do have a very good focus on SC and a good job with Associated Buggy parts. They also carry a good line of beginner and then high end electronics as well. The owner is an awesome chick with Gene, Adam and Shawn being really cool as well.

Hobby Town does seem to have shifted completely away from racing and into the market just below of quality RC stuff for bashing around the house or with friends. I believe they can set you up pretty good for SC off-road and not much else racing wise.

Nexus carries only high end stuff. If you want the very best they have it and usually always in stock. They are a online company but offer a pickup service I believe after 1 or 2 in the afternoons excluding Mondays.

Hot Shots is just getting started. They have put a lot into the two tracks and appears slowly build the hobby shop side. If its 1/12 you're wanting to get into and you find you have to order the items you are looking for please give hot shots the chance to help with your orders. I don't believe they can cover the rent on that place with just practice fees.

tinasam 06-23-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny (Post 9295233)
I don't think that is a fair statement. They do have a very good focus on SC and a good job with Associated Buggy parts. They also carry a good line of beginner and then high end electronics as well. The owner is an awesome chick with Gene, Adam and Shawn being really cool as well.

Hobby Town does seem to have shifted completely away from racing and into the market just below of quality RC stuff for bashing around the house or with friends. I believe they can set you up pretty good for SC off-road and not much else racing wise.

Nexus carries only high end stuff. If you want the very best they have it and usually always in stock. They are a online company but offer a pickup service I believe after 1 or 2 in the afternoons excluding Mondays.

Hot Shots is just getting started. They have put a lot into the two tracks and appears slowly build the hobby shop side. If its 1/12 you're wanting to get into and you find you have to order the items you are looking for please give hot shots the chance to help with your orders. I don't believe they can cover the rent on that place with just practice fees.

You just made the list of my favorite people;)
And yea, Turtle trax is for 1/10 scale offroad buggies and trucks. We have some eighth scale items in our trailer at the outdoor track as well. We price things at online prices, so you have convenience and the online price;) We've got a heli on the way, and looking to expand into a few more areas (we're even carrying gas for those nitro guys that just need a fuel pit stop).
So yea, thanks for the shout out, I do try :)

Turbotech 06-23-2011 07:53 AM

Thanks for all the info guys....I try to support local guys as much as I can, but with some things it's damn near impossible...I needed a mod1 5mm pinon for my buggy and I hate online ordering a $10 part...

If someone were able to front the capital on a hobby shop the size of hobbytown and actually have things in stock that people want, they would make a killing...

I fly mostly, and the community of fliers in the atlanta area is huge...And everyone has the same story, need a prop, wheel, or a one dollar nut, gotta order it...

Sigh, rant over...:lol:

kikcaffine 06-23-2011 07:58 AM

If your in Acworth, your exactly 30 minutes from Turtle Trax. Anything electric offroad 1/10 associated related they are the best.

epoweredrc 06-23-2011 09:49 AM

Sorry Danny, I just had woke up, I should have said they do all OFF road..
Gene, Tina ,Adam and Shawn mac are all wonderful friendly folks. I hate I do not get to go watch there races anymore but working here I have very limited time.

Oh Turbotech you must be the guy I met yesterday, For your flying needs I am sure you know about Atlantahobby,Cliff is a great guy.
HotShotRC is trying to sell some aircraft stuff also but no one can carry everything if someone needs something regular we will carry it for them..

MCSEDanny 06-23-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Turbotech (Post 9295474)
Thanks for all the info guys....I try to support local guys as much as I can, but with some things it's damn near impossible...I needed a mod1 5mm pinon for my buggy and I hate online ordering a $10 part...

If someone were able to front the capital on a hobby shop the size of hobbytown and actually have things in stock that people want, they would make a killing...

I fly mostly, and the community of fliers in the atlanta area is huge...And everyone has the same story, need a prop, wheel, or a one dollar nut, gotta order it...

Brian IMO I believe that Hobby Town tried for a good while to cater to the racers but to pay for that massive prime retail location they have to charge at or near retail. When you have online shops that can lease warehouse space in the back of an industrial park and keep the rent down, keep the employee count down they can cut there prices and make a little money. I think even before these economic times individuals started looking out for themselves and found they could buy a Hudy type product for the price of a Integy type product for about the same price. That cut the retail guy out and is not able to compete. Hobby Town I believe has found what sells well and can keep there doors open which is cater to the new comers, impulsive buyer and beginner level hobbyist. I think Tina and Gene found a perfect nitch and are working very hard to be competitive in pricing and keep the doors open. I think in the end of all that what matters is if a part is sitting on the shelf to long its money sitting out there and retailers need all product to turn quickly and adjust with the fads.

I remember back in the day we use to break front arms all the time on cars and trucks. But now that technology and the people wanting equipment to stand up and last longer we the people have to help the hobby shop keeps its doors open and tracks open by supporting them with car, battery, tires and the other items we like to replace to make up for those lost days of breaking several arms, bulkheads and shock towers back in the day.

Ok I'm done and have no earthy idea why I went on like that.

tinasam 06-23-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turbotech (Post 9295474)

ironically we have three packs of the novak mod1 5mm steel pinion 3-pks (18/19/20T) for $22.99each and one of the castle mod1 5mm 23T pinions for $9.30.

They are in our trailer for the outdoor racing. But yea, we have those whenever you need them again, haha.

kikcaffine 06-23-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by tinasam (Post 9296135)
ironically we have three packs of the novak mod1 5mm steel pinion 3-pks (18/19/20T) for $22.99each and one of the castle mod1 5mm 23T pinions for $9.30.

They are in our trailer for the outdoor racing. But yea, we have those whenever you need them again, haha.

WINNING!!!!

Turbotech 06-23-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by tinasam (Post 9296135)

Very cool, I'll be up soon....:tire:

Glad to see people are opening up a focused hobby shop...

FauxMako 06-23-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by epoweredrc (Post 9295961)
HotShotRC is trying to sell some aircraft stuff also but no one can carry everything if someone needs something regular we will carry it for them..

I've had HotShotRC order stuff specifically for me as well. Even if they don't plan on stocking it, they'll get it for you.

I'd rather give them a couple of bucks than to save a couple of bucks and then have no where to race. Having a local track is more important to me than a few dollars here and there.

Turbotech 06-23-2011 11:32 AM

Ok, next question for the group...

I have a tore to hell, Traxxas Bandit vxl...I have no intention of ever racing, or even bashing this pile of slop, but the brushless system in it is still good and very fast...Is there a class I could run at TT with a AE car, or truck and use this motor and ESC...

4x4 would be preferred..Whats the biggest class turnouts?

I just dumped a pile of dough into my rc8be and would like to build a 1/10 scale as well, but using my old motor esc would help a lot...

The motor is the Velineon 3500 brushless motor, 10 turn..

Thanks