Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Georgia Racing
***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread*** >

***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread***

***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread***

Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ahajr
Magenta for me fades at the very end of a run, and they wear faster.
Yellows got my car to hook up real good along with an AMB body.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have to agree with Allen and Hairy in the Black/Yellow/Gray/GrayLow/Magentas tires,

Front I have ran black and magentas. rear I have ran magenta, grey and grey low. Grey low being a combination gray and yellow tire.

right now I have running magenta front and rears but have not really settle on it. they tend to gum up fast and do wear quick.

stay away from the walls since these will bend and tweak stuff. Specially king pins, motor plates and front axles...

make sure to remain patient with 1/12th scale.always ck tweak. sauce tires evenly, roll the corners

it is a fun class and will make you a better driver.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcko
I have to agree with Allen and Hairy in the Black/Yellow/Gray/GrayLow/Magentas tires,

Front I have ran black and magentas. rear I have ran magenta, grey and grey low. Grey low being a combination gray and yellow tire.

right now I have running magenta front and rears but have not really settle on it. they tend to gum up fast and do wear quick.

stay away from the walls since these will bend and tweak stuff. Specially king pins, motor plates and front axles...

make sure to remain patient with 1/12th scale.always ck tweak. sauce tires evenly, roll the corners

it is a fun class and will make you a better driver.
Thank you all for the info. Grey low seems to be tire of choice but they seem to be hard to find. Sounds like black fronts and yellow rears may work well. How did you like the grey rears? Are the 1/12 tire compounds very sensitive to track temps? Will a 5 degree change in temp change which tire you need?

I think it will be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the driving challenge but I sure do feel like a green rookie right now.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

grey rears tended to oversteer. I ran them at Nexus sucessfully but felt the car was easier to drive with gray lows rear and black fronts there.

I didnt get that combo to feel stable at Hotshots. But that was when the carpet was green (early summer). I have not tried that combo since.

The other thing is to monitor tire wear and adjut ride height accordingly. Hey remove suspension ride height spacers as the tires wear. And also monitor lef to right tire usage and swap often to preserve tire life.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Tires don't matter in 12th scale...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by orcadigital
That's one thing I did learn from running 1/12 years ago. The tires do matter a lot. We tried a lot of tires back then and finally settled on green fronts and white rears. Tried pinks, blacks, and yellows but the green and white worked best on that particular track. Maybe they aren't as sensitive with the modern generation of chassis compared to our old kingpin and spring fronts and o ring tweak screw rears but they have to make a difference. At least a little.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tires don't matter ? Really .... So why do they make more then one ???? never mine
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Originally Posted by D-man
Tires don't matter ? Really .... So why do they make more then one ???? never mine
Placebo effect for keyboard racers.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Placebo effect for keyboard racers.
Who's a keyboard racer
Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Orcadigital knows better than to say that with a straight face
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dane
Orcadigital knows better than to say that with a straight face
It may work for him. All tires get the same traction three feet in the air.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

LOL

Honestly, I think you will just drive yourself bonkers if you worry that much about tires. Chris and Shawn are running black/graylows, Allen I think is running Magenta's now, Will runs magentas with some other random tires thrown in, Joe runs whatever is in stock until the wheels show through, and I am still working on my assortment of 6 year old double pinks of unidentifiable manufacturer and origin. Rich and Danny each have their own theories as well. I do think that tires are important, but the grip is so high right now, I think most everything except probably greens will work, and the main difference will be tire wear, or in the case of some of the softer tires, fade as they pick up too much junk from running off line.

I think Chris is onto something with his tire combination, except that graylow rears somehow cause his battery to drain.

I ran some unidentifiable rears with black rims (they looked nice) and they were dynamite. They were in my bag of 6 year old tires, but not trued. Get some of those, and get me some too.

Grant
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

LOL

Honestly, I think you will just drive yourself bonkers if you worry that much about tires. Chris and Shawn are running black/graylows, Allen I think is running Magenta's now, Will runs magentas with some other random tires thrown in, Joe runs whatever is in stock until the wheels show through, and I am still working on my assortment of 6 year old double pinks of unidentifiable manufacturer and origin. Rich and Danny each have their own theories as well. I do think that tires are important, but the grip is so high right now, I think most everything except probably greens will work, and the main difference will be tire wear, or in the case of some of the softer tires, fade as they pick up too much junk from running off line.

I think Chris is onto something with his tire combination, except that graylow rears somehow cause his battery to drain.

I ran some unidentifiable rears with black rims (they looked nice) and they were dynamite. They were in my bag of 6 year old tires, but not trued. Get some of those, and get me some too.

Grant
Yeah the tire colors are getting a little insane. It wouldn't be so bad but it looks like each manufacturer has their own color system. I was looking at trying some trc greens up front with yellow in the rear. looked like green was a little softer then black and yellow was just the majority of the grey low combination. Who's color chart is everyone going by?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default New Toys

Anyone heading up to HotShots today to test out their new toys?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D3R3K
Anyone heading up to HotShots today to test out their new toys?
Do old toys count as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.