Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Georgia Racing
***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread*** >

***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread***

***The Official Hot Shot RC Thread***

Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts, watering the track in the winter time is hard to be consistent, one day the temp is in the 50's next day the teen's.
Sat the track was wetter than I would have wanted it to be. When I wet the track again Friday night I will stay mostly on the edges, light watering on the groove does help with the dust and traction.
My first qualifier Sat, my consistency was 0.58 2nd qual it was 0.42, third qual was 1.03, which got me the TQ spot. I know consistency changes for many reasons most out of your control, but setting up your car is tool you need to be learning to get better and better at this hobby, maybe every once in a while check your shock shafts to make sure they are not bent, this and other problems will make your car not respond as you are use too.
I kinda watch the lap times to see how the track conditions are, there were lots of fast laps turned once the race started, Brian Looper had his 4wd screaming, Dman told me his car was super fast, Andy was running very fast as well.
So just keep this in mind in order to wet the track, the water must soak into the dirt and dry at the top, I try to make it dry a couple hours before race time, if it dry's to soon then it's dusty in the 2nd qual and mains.
So say if you come to race Friday night and you get there at 12 noon. yeah the track is going to be slick, go to the gold compound tires, lower you ride height, check your slipper loosen it and your diff if needed so you tire don't spin as easy, then ease up on the throttle, set you radio so your car wants to roll, dial out some brakes, no sticky kick run tires plain no prep (write down the changes you make to your car, so you can slowly start changing them back as the tracks surface starts to dry later in the evening). You will find out that each lap you will get faster and faster, but you must stay in the groove.
For those racers that don't know what we mean when talking about the GROOVE, what we mean is the darker area of the track surface in the corners, it is most only three to four foot wide from the inside pipe( if you are making a left turn the groove will be 3 to 4 foot from the pipe on your left) this is where the track dries first, if you drive out of this area (the groove) your tires will get moist dirt on them an will be slick, so try what I mentioned above and practice staying in the groove, even if you have to slow down to get to be a better driver you must be able to keep your car in this groove and in control.

I just left Hot Shots and conditioned the track, It will be fast Weds night as always, because I have more time from Sunday night to Weds at noon to work on the track, Weds night racing is always the best track condition, also Shon and Barry do a great job of running the race's.

Good Luck racing and I'll see you guys Weds night, Carl Knight
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bigtowck
...So just keep this in mind in order to wet the track, the water must soak into the dirt and dry at the top, I try to make it dry a couple hours before race time, if it dry's to soon then it's dusty in the 2nd qual and mains.
So say if you come to race Friday night and you get there at 12 noon. yeah the track is going to be slick, go to the gold compound tires, lower you ride height, check your slipper loosen it and your diff if needed so you tire don't spin as easy, then ease up on the throttle, set you radio so your car wants to roll, dial out some brakes, no sticky kick run tires plain no prep (write down the changes you make to your car, so you can slowly start changing them back as the tracks surface starts to dry later in the evening)...
Good info Carl! Thanks for the practical tips. As a 'part time' racer (meaning I don't get to go NEAR as much as I WANT), I don't have the time to experiment and try different things. So this type of info will help me set up my vehicle and all the kids better for the track conditions.

As always, thanks to you and the other guys that help keep the track in good shape! See y'all a week from Friday....maybe sooner if I get an opportunity!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

good intel
Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Is everyone mainly running slicks in 2wd buggy? Do you have any in Stock?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes most of us are running slicks. Not sure if Brad has any more sweep slicks in stock? He had rears and no fronts last week.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Sweep hasn't had any fronts listed on their site not sure if they make them or not. Been using the new Proline primes in the front in M4 works pretty good but sweeps slivers are the best slicks i've run so far.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Sweep hasn't had any fronts listed on their site not sure if they make them or not. Been using the new Proline primes in the front in M4 works pretty good but sweeps slivers are the best slicks i've run so far.
No sweep 2wd fronts. you can run the 4wd front with 4wd foam on 2wd wheel.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You mean sweep 4wd fronts..?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Do you mean sweep 4wd fronts?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jspurgin
Is everyone mainly running slicks in 2wd buggy? Do you have any in Stock?
Grab a pair of supersoft tires that are worn and get the trusty dremel out and grind away. Closed cell inserts work the best.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

The main idea is to come to the track and see what works for you, yes slicks work best whatever the condition, we have a belt sander at the track, you can use to take a old set of tires an turn them into slicks. Dremel tool works good as well to make slicks with.

If you need to borrow a set of my tires I let you use them, every tire works different for every driver, we will find what works for you and then you can get your own for next time you come to the track.

Watching the weather hope we get to race, let all keep in touch on the Wicked Weds thread to make sure we all know what's happen because of the weather!

See ya, carl Knight
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

me and my brother plan on making the trip from Knoxville for the clean works race. i see that most are running slicks on 2wd buggy, but what about 2wd sc and ebuggy? will there be tires for sale there? also we plan on coming friday to get some practice, and hotels close by?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcdanielbro's
me and my brother plan on making the trip from Knoxville for the clean works race. i see that most are running slicks on 2wd buggy, but what about 2wd sc and ebuggy? will there be tires for sale there? also we plan on coming friday to get some practice, and hotels close by?
Josh,

Most guys are starting with a very small pin tire and running them slick or using the grinder and making them slick. 1/8 runs very rarely at Hotshots anyway. I think John Otani and a few others are running the Sweep Micro contacts in silver compound.

Brian
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

thank you brian! you gonna be at this race?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcdanielbro's
thank you brian! you gonna be at this race?
Yes sir! Running 1/10

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.