Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbies

Hello. I just bought my 9 year old son a traxxas rustler and was wondering what class that would race in. I am getting a traxxas slash 2WD next week mainly for fun. Maybe a coulple races. Just getting into it. I'm in the douglasville area and would like to find a club close by. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Your closest large tracks are VRP to the South in Brooks.. and the new Liburn track and Loganville to the East.

Can't remember where Turtle Trax is but I have a feeling its even closer. A rustler would generally run in the "open" electric class, not too many people run that class anymore. though you'll find many friends with your Slash (perhaps trade the rustler for one and you'll both have the same!)

You should also check out georgiarcracers.com as that forum has much more traffic for the area, especially for starting out electric offroad racers as yourself.

Either way.. welcome!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the hobby hangout is at the corner of i-20 and hwy 5 (where the christian brother auto sales use to be) they run on thursday nights and have a fun short course track.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey, thanks. Going to the races tonight in douglasville to see what it's all about.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Turtle Tracks is near Rome Ga,check out their web site for more info....www.turtletraxraceway.com

Last edited by hairy; 04-01-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
Turtle Tracks is near Rome Ga,check out their web site for more info.....turtletrax.com
Its acctualy www.turtletraxraceway.com but thanks for remembering us just the same

Hobby hangout is going to be your closest option, they dont have a big crowd but they have a couple people racing every now and again. Turtle Trax is going to be your closest bigger event and is the only 1/10th scale specific electric only track in Georgia and were located in Rome.

The Rustler is Traxxas's version of a stadium truck (or 2wd truck) Right now we run them with the 4wd buggys in our open modified class but were hoping to have enough of both 4wd buggys and 2wd trucks this year to seperate them so that they both have there own respective classes. The SCT (slash, sc10, blitz, ect) and the 2wd buggys however make up the brunt of our group as we have two heats of both of those classes typicaly with 7 or 8 cars in each heat

Last edited by LMRacing; 04-01-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info. I plan on going to watch tonight in douglasville tonight and Rome sat to see what it's all about.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cubby112
Thanks for the info. I plan on going to watch tonight in douglasville tonight and Rome sat to see what it's all about.

Welcome Newbies!

I started my 9 yr old with an RC10 T4 (2wd stadium truck) when he was 6. We raced a few times last summer, and after a half dozen busted front a-arms, I realized that the SCT class (Slash, Sc10, Blitz etc.......) was more forgiving for beginners. The SCT seems to break less and the covered tires and wheels help alot when you're bouncing off the walls and other racers. I got him a used Slash that has been absolutely bullet proof and he will be mixing it up with the SCTs this year. We haven't raced at the other tracks near you so I can't comment on them, but I know that the group of people going to TurtleTrax are first rate. Whether you are are a beginner or pro, everybody is there to have fun.
BTW I'm Chip, and my son is Taylor. We will be at TurtleTrax bright and early Saturday.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fishn or Racin
I started my 9 yr old with an RC10 T4 (2wd stadium truck) when he was 6. We raced a few times last summer, and after a half dozen busted front a-arms, I realized that the SCT class (Slash, Sc10, Blitz etc.......) was more forgiving for beginners.
HE chose the rustler but ill let him race the sct if he wants. we may just enjoy watching this year and getting used to the vehicles. I need to learn how to gear one and what exactly the spring spacers do and all that. i just wanted something we could do and bond at the same time and this seems like it will be fun for the both of us. Thanks for all the input fellas see you at the races.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HE chose the rustler but ill let him race the sct if he wants. we may just enjoy watching this year and getting used to the vehicles. I need to learn how to gear one and what exactly the spring spacers do and all that. i just wanted something we could do and bond at the same time and this seems like it will be fun for the both of us. Thanks for all the input fellas see you at the races.

Excactly. Thats what this "HOBBY" is all about having fun and playing with toy cars. If you get fast at doing it well thats just a plus. Go check out Hobby Hangout tonight and come visit us Saturday. Any of us at the track are willing to help you with setup and advice thats what we are all here for. PM me if you need directions.

Gene Samuels
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well, here or the track are the places to get those answers.

Gearing: If the spur remains the same, a smaller pinion gives more punch, and a larger pinion gives more top speed. The most important thing about gearing is motor temp. If the motor starts getting too hot to hold, use a smaller pinion.

Spring Spacers: They are for adjusting your ride height. General rules about ride height. Lower ride height handles better in the corners. Higher ride height handles the bumps and jumps better. A good starting place is to set the A-arms level. Also, you generally start with the front/rear even. Slightly lowering the front will usually provide better steering. Slightly lowering the rear will help rear traction and help prevent spinouts a little.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok so the bigger the spacer the higher the ride?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeap.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just make sure you have the battery installed when you set the ride height. and... don't ask me how I know this.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

so higher ride hight for rougher terrain and jumps BUT doesent that shorten the spring with the spacer and make it bottom out sooner??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.