Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th electric conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/8th electric conversion question

I'm converting over a CEN Matrix to electric and have it pretty much complete. Just need a battery box. I have a Novak 6.5 HV Pro with a mod 1 pinion with the stock spur thats on the matrix. My question is just how loud are these metal gears supposed to be. The gear mesh looks good nothing is grinding that I can see, but man is it loud. Is that normal?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It should be pretty darn loud. You are dealing with straight cut metal on metal gears. Have you ever heard those in a full sized car?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess the nitro motors are just loud enough to mask the noise. Cant wait to get this thing on the track, I'm running it on just one battery pack right now playing around in the yard and its got plenty of power.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Check with budman about that. He is converting and OFNA (I think) dirt oval buggy to electric and could have some inside info for drive setups if they are out there. And you don't have to drag a muffler around to fool everyone! The word I got was it is a super fast way to go for 1/8 racing.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well,, sometimes they are'nt loud enough. With a nitro car you can "wing" it and get a turnmarshal's attention. Sometimes I feel like I need to install a horn on mine, and also a sticker on the bottom that says " just flip me over, I'm electric". It's funny and also frustrating to see someone start to bring your car in like it's flamed out.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ALLERACER
Well,, sometimes they are'nt loud enough. With a nitro car you can "wing" it and get a turnmarshal's attention. Sometimes I feel like I need to install a horn on mine, and also a sticker on the bottom that says " just flip me over, I'm electric". It's funny and also frustrating to see someone start to bring your car in like it's flamed out.
Good point, when I raced the electric class at battlefield and Dalton that happened alot. Someone would be half way back to the pits with my car.

I guess the best thing will be to bring it out and check out what everyone elses sounds like. I thought a mini cooper sounded bad when it was about to strip out a gear, they have nothing on this thing.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Nukem
I'm converting over a CEN Matrix to electric and have it pretty much complete. Just need a battery box. I have a Novak 6.5 HV Pro with a mod 1 pinion with the stock spur thats on the matrix. My question is just how loud are these metal gears supposed to be. The gear mesh looks good nothing is grinding that I can see, but man is it loud. Is that normal?
I don't know how loud yours is but they are not THAT loud. Freeman and I habe Losi 8's he is running plastic spur and I have metal. His is quiet and mine is just a little louder not a whole lot. Double check your mesh AND the angle of your motor to spur. I think on the Novak conversions the motor mount uses the old nitro slots so you have to not only set the mesh but also the angle. I don't know if I'm clear on what I'm trying to say.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I converted a losi 8 to electric and the conversion kit came with a plastic gear and a metal plate to seal the center diff. Mine is very quite but you should be fine with the other gear. It may wear the pion gear faster. I am running the Tekin Rx8 with a 2050kv motor and it is bad fast!!!!!!! Here is my new toy:
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th electric conversion question-l_62c55fe510f2433997cd8a9a544af0fc.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just paranoid I guess. I've never heard one and it doesnt sound like any of my other electrics. Hope this class keeps growing.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Hey Randy, a buddy of mine converted a CEN last year and it was pretty noisy. I don't know if it has anything to do with different cars or not but my Losi 8e wasn't that loud. It's probably ok but just keep an eye on it just incase.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hope this class keeps growing.
Well, I hear alot of talk about them but just not seeing them at the track.
The GCS planned on having an exibition class for the series. There was a good showing at Dalton with 6 of us. That was it. I was the only one to show up at Savannah and VRP, don't know about Agusta and probally be the only one to show up at Loganville with one.

The only way to grow a class is to show up at the track with some......
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALLERACER
Well, I hear alot of talk about them but just not seeing them at the track.
The GCS planned on having an exibition class for the series. There was a good showing at Dalton with 6 of us. That was it. I was the only one to show up at Savannah and VRP, don't know about Agusta and probally be the only one to show up at Loganville with one.

The only way to grow a class is to show up at the track with some......
They will be having a e-1/8 class for the ngsns at dalton and battlefield. The first races is 6/20/09 at battlefield. So far I know of 4-5 already hope you can make it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

I saw the electric 1/8 car of budmans run last night. It was faster than the nitros on the straight and was way faster coming out of the turns. It won. With the plastic spur it was as quiet as any other electric.