R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Georgia Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing-77/)
-   -   Nexus My first on road car. 1/10 or 1/12 ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing/267066-nexus-my-first-road-car-1-10-1-12-a.html)

JustWill75 01-12-2009 09:02 PM

Nexus My first on road car. 1/10 or 1/12 ?

I want to do some carpet racing with you guys soon.

What is the best route to go 1/10 or 1/12? Brushless or brush? Give me an idea so I can join the fun.

Im looking at the CRC cars and maybe that new 300 dollar XRAY sedan.

How many lipo packs do I really need for a race day?

What is the cost of start up for both?

Thanks and look forward to racing soon.

LMRacing 01-13-2009 05:17 AM

Id go with 10th scale, but Im bias as its what I run and like. Someone who runs 12th scale Im sure will come in and tell you to run that. You could run an old TC3 to start (its what Im running and I dont have it setup quite right but the car looks like its going to be very competitive) and I got a couple TC3's for stupid cheap on here, $135 for almost enough to build 2 cars and a bunch of spares.

Brushless is the way to go though. I dont think anybody is running brushed stuff anymore except in vintage and even then guys are going to the 21.5 brushless so they can run the lipo packs. 1 lipo pack is all you need for a race day, but a lot of guys just like having a backup for "just in case shit happens"

I got my brushless speed controler and motor for $80 used, my radio for $150 brand new, car for $135 used, and 2 3200 lipo packs for $35 used. plus about $160 for misc. crap at the hobby shop (tires, body, paragon, charger ect) so Im into my touring car cheap as possible at around $560 your mileage may vary but getting in to start costs a bit

JustWill75 01-13-2009 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Is it true that pan cars are almost maintnance free? I ask because I also plan on running 1/8 offroad and that is a gang of work to keep up.

RFALLON 01-13-2009 10:27 AM

Either type of car is going to be fun. My dad races 1/12 and I race 1/10. He races one of the genx carpet knifes (CRC's), and I race a XRAY T2'009. Touring car is a little less forgiving when you hit a wall, but a 1/12 is a lot easier to tune. Either way youll have fun.

If you get lipos you will only need one pack mabey two. I only have one and i can use it all day and recharge it after every run. You will also not have to worry about your battery dying in the middle of a race.

Brushless is also the way to go. The only thing you have to worry about is the screws being tight. You dont have to worrying about cutting it, breaking it in, or anything like that.

Hope to see you soon!!!!:nod:

JustWill75 01-13-2009 02:23 PM

Thats good to know. I used to run 1/10 buggy and truck a lot and need to cut comms and worry about batteries. I leaning more towards 1/12 because of the cost of start up 200+ range for the cars (now and future) I may even get my son into it this year as long as he keeps his grades up.

JustWill75 01-13-2009 04:48 PM

anybody running the Losi cars? I've always liked Losi any wins and setup tips if I go that route? I may me looking for a used one.

mxrich 01-13-2009 05:26 PM

Go with 1/10th. If you want a pancar like the CRC then you might want to think about the World GT class. The F1 series will be starting in the Spring and WGT looks like it will be part of it. Wait until Summer then look for a 1/12 for a bargain for the next winter. Same motor and batteries as the 1/10th. MLP also has a new WGT car if you would like to check it out. www.mlpmotorsports.net Hope to see you out there with us.

JustWill75 01-13-2009 05:49 PM

What is the brushless version of a stock motor and what is the most popular one? A good ESC recomendation would help to.

katfish317 01-13-2009 06:18 PM

17.5 is the stock motor, 13.5 is super stock. Lrp TC spec or LRP 2007 comp, both are very nice and very easy to work with. You can find the used for like 150.

pinoyboy 01-13-2009 06:30 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat right now. I've been thinking about racing at Nexus, maybe 1/10 rubber. I'm taking classes at SPSU which I don't think is too far, so I may have to go just to look around this week.

JustWill75 01-13-2009 07:13 PM

Thanx Katfish, How has the E4 working for you? I guess most of the guys at Nexus are running Xrays or CRC's. I can't wait till I can start racing.

Baedarlboo 01-13-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinoyboy (Post 5289490)
I'm kinda in the same boat right now. I've been thinking about racing at Nexus, maybe 1/10 rubber. I'm taking classes at SPSU which I don't think is too far, so I may have to go just to look around this week.

LOL I like your name...I had a lot of pinoy friends when i used to live in Guam.

pinoyboy 01-13-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Baedarlboo (Post 5289859)
LOL I like your name...I had a lot of pinoy friends when i used to live in Guam.

Thats cool. I think my dad was stationed over there in the Army.

JustWill75 01-15-2009 04:46 PM

Well guys I think I've decided to go with the XRAY T2R Pro 1/10 Touring Car. I feel that this will be the best choice due to estimated price parts support and upgradability (is that a word?) now i just need some help on good lipo battery choices. I'm thinking Trinity motors and batteries. I'm looking at the different ESC's out and want to get something that is competitive. As you can tell right now I want to be able to race with you guys and have no excuses. If i suck, then I suck. I will not be able to blame my equipment just lack of practice. :nod:

ChadRacing 01-15-2009 04:52 PM

You wont go wrong with running the trinity motors and batteries in your car. I run the Trinity Duo 13.5 and 17.5 and the IB3800 lipo pack in my cars and they run very well.