SUGARBOWL ELECTRIC AND NITRO AUGUST 3RD

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up What!

Originally Posted by shadow102
because foam is going the way of the dinosaur
You must be crazy to think foam is ancient!! The reason people choose to run rubber is setup and they last longer per set. But if you pay $32 per set rubber and around $22 for foam set, I can get 3 foam sets to 2 rubber and balance longevity. But for sorry drivers, they chunk to many foams and need rubber tires. Also, foams wear and your setup characteristics change with the wear. People who don't want to spend the time adjusting setup and learning how to tune their car, rubber is for you. Foams give that extra acceleration, speed and the super handling that adds to the ultimate control of you car.

Just a few thoughts!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by D-man
Why will there only be rubber for mod,but foam for all other classes
Well, under that scenario there would be foam for only one other touring class. Anyway, it's not like we're putting our fist down or anything...we're just suggesting what would be best for everyone.

Ideally there would be only 1 type of tire. Last year, we probably averaged two guys per weekend wanting to run foam, and everyone else wanted to run rubber. We ended up putting them together just for the heck of it, but I know the average racer does not like that.

Bottom line is that more people want to run rubber. Only a small amount of guys will want to run mod to begin with, and it doesn't make sense to split them into two classes. Plus, if we have 5 touring classes (including vintage), we are only hurting ourselves.

Frank, I see your point...BUT it makes a lot more sense with 13.5. When running brushless mod with a double-pink foam tire that now comes cut very low out of the box, it's difficult to balance the wear because the side-load put on the tires with a mod motor will tear the tires VERY easily - you don't even have to hit anything! Plus, rubber tire prices are dropping. The new Jaco's are selling for only $29, and we're working on having a local special on the new Sweeps to put them in the $25 range.

But hey, if a lot of guys want to run foam mod, go for it. I doubt that we'll see a 13.5 foam and mod foam class on the same day, though, because I just haven't seen that many people that want to run foam - and it wouldn't be good to let a class run with only a couple of cars.

One foam class and two rubber classes...that sounds fair to me (based on the amount of people that prefer to run each tire). Plus, I wouldn't doubt that most who start out on foam will end up switching to rubber before it's all over with.

-Arun
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nitro
As for 12th scale,I hope there isnt any question about running brushless. Brushed motors are a thing of the past.
Of course not . 1/12 scale will be 17.5 BL or 27t brushed - your choice.

Also, if anyone wants to run brushed in TC, we'll probably allow 23 turn or slower motors to run with the 13.5's. 23 turn motors are readily available from some of the Japanese brands such as HPI, Tamiya, and Orion because these are the stock motors in Japan. 19 turn is too fast to run with 13.5, but I have read that 23t is very similar to 13.5.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by bighurt98
You must be crazy to think foam is ancient!! The reason people choose to run rubber is setup and they last longer per set. But if you pay $32 per set rubber and around $22 for foam set, I can get 3 foam sets to 2 rubber and balance longevity. But for sorry drivers, they chunk to many foams and need rubber tires. Also, foams wear and your setup characteristics change with the wear. People who don't want to spend the time adjusting setup and learning how to tune their car, rubber is for you. Foams give that extra acceleration, speed and the super handling that adds to the ultimate control of you car.

Just a few thoughts!
I am not saying foam is ancient i am saying that foam racing is going extinct. This entire time just about the whole rest of the world has been racing rubber tire electric. For the most part the USA has been the only ones running foam tires anymore. Now that rubber tire racing has taken a foot hold in the US and is becoming the class of choice across the country its only a matter of time before foam tires may eventually get phased out just like brushed motors and nimh will eventually.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
If you want to get a picture of the foam situation as it stands now,take a look at the class entry totals from the upcoming IIC in Vegas.
http://www.intchamps.com/registration/entries.php
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
The new Jaco's are selling for only $29, and we're working on having a local special on the new Sweeps to put them in the $25 range.

-Arun
Any thoughts of requiring a spec tire for this carpet season?

It would help keep racing close and costs down if everyone has to run the same cheaper Sweep or Jaco tires.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with Smac.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 on the spec tires! I really like that idea.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac

It would help keep racing close and costs down if everyone has to run the same cheaper Sweep or Jaco tires.
WHAT!! everyone keep saying rubber tires last you can run them week in and week out .... So why would anyone cry about the cost . Now we are running rubber tires ,now you want to make them spec.hell to the naw No spec tires
Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, we did not require a spec tire last season at PT... But pretty much everyone ended up on Muchmore 32's so we may as well have had one. Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

That is not a bad idea, and it is certainly worth exploring.
One problem I can think of is that it might discourage out-of-towners from coming.

-Arun
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

I'm all for that. Drive your way to a win, not buy one.

But............................We are all in it to win so why can't we run what ever we like and what works best for us.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
That is not a bad idea, and it is certainly worth exploring.
One problem I can think of is that it might discourage out-of-towners from coming.

-Arun
Yes that is a bad , NO SPEC TIRE
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by D-man

Yes that is a bad , NO SPEC TIRE
Or how about no spec tire in mod touring?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I'm all for that. Drive your way to a win, not buy one.
How is that buying a win ????
Man lets just save everyone some money and buy Tyco cars, thay are all the same ,so thats its fair and no one has to fine a setup change there car or do any of the other stuff that makes it racing ... Now thats fair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.