R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Georgia Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing-77/)
-   -   Metro Atlanta On Road Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing/201820-metro-atlanta-road-thread.html)

genesisG4 01-20-2008 01:33 PM

Metro Atlanta On Road Thread

About 8 enthusiast met at Andretti on Sat. Jan 19th to discuss starting a new club for on road racing in metro Atlanta. The poor weather kept several other interested individuals at home. We will make another attempt at a meeting in the near future.

We plan to start running on temporary tracks in high profile locations that will allow us marketing and promotional opportunities. Exposing new people to the sport is a top priority.
A permanent facility will be part of the longer term plans.

We need a name...any ideas? Georgia On Road Racers?

So...this is now the official on road thread...lets be positive and make 2008 a new start for on road racing in metro Atlanta.

Start the input now!

Mark

ChadRacing 01-20-2008 01:59 PM

Personally i think the name will just need to stay simple and to the point. I would say just stick to GA ON-Road Racers. Just my opinion

Chad S.

Bob Malphurs 01-20-2008 02:18 PM

Just a few brief notes from the meeting:

1) Main discussion was the need to organize a club dedicated to racing.
2) Is the need to obtain a location for the club to race.
3) Put together a proposal to circulate to different counties, cities, etc for the use of public land.
4) Discussed what we may need to purchase for the track layout (boards, fastening devices, safety barriers, etc.)
5) ROAR membership, both individual and club.
6) Ways to arouse public awareness and interest.
7) When and where to hold another meeting, hopefully with a lot more people!

Bob Malphurs 01-20-2008 02:27 PM

Another thing, we need your e-mail address and phone numbers. I guess if you can PM them to whoever wants to volunteer to put together a list.

Also, just so we know who's posting on this tread kindly sign your name with your post.

genesisG4 01-20-2008 03:38 PM

I will get back in touch with the GM at Andretti and discuss using the parking lot a little more with him. I will discuss the north part of the lot as that looks to be better suited. If they agree we could use this we will need to test on the area to see if it will work.

I will update everyone after I talk to him.

We talked to him briefly on Saturday and..........

They are interested in working with us but they may have difficulty committing to a schedule as they apparently sometimes have large events that take up most of the parking lot...I have yet to see this happen all the times I have driven by, but you never know.

Mark Lutes

D-man 01-20-2008 03:57 PM

With talking to Bryan, Gwinett dont seem to care if we use the old park and ride? Maybe we sould work on getting a definate ok with that. And then all we have to do is see how to get up the parking stripe and repaint them. That would give us everything we are looking for. :rolleyes:

genesisG4 01-20-2008 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by D-man (Post 4097751)
With talking to Bryan, Gwinett dont seem to care if we use the old park and ride? Maybe we sould work on getting a definate ok with that. And then all we have to do is see how to get up the parking stripe and repaint them. That would give us everything we are looking for. :rolleyes:

What kind of shape is the asphalt in?

What we are thinking is to MAYBE run at Andretti once a month and alternate with another location? Would help to draw in more people to run two places.

D-man 01-20-2008 04:16 PM

Thay repaved it few years ago. We were going sat. to take a look at it . Thats were the club use to race.

genesisG4 01-20-2008 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by D-man (Post 4097796)
Thay repaved it few years ago. We were going sat. to take a look at it . Thats were the club use to race.

I thought that was where it used to race. By all means...check it out. If someone has a digital camera, take some pics and post them on this thread.

snoopyrc 01-20-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by D-man (Post 4097751)
And then all we have to do is see how to get up the parking stripe and repaint them. That would give us everything we are looking for. :rolleyes:

Im not past sitting on it with a belt sander. Is that park and ride not being used anymore?

genesisG4 01-20-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by snoopyrc (Post 4098371)
Im not past sitting on it with a belt sander. Is that park and ride not being used anymore?

LOL...maybe you could go ahead and smooth out the asphalt at Andretti with that belt sander:lol::lol:

On a serious note....I don't understand the parking stripe issue at the park and ride lot?

Bob Malphurs 01-20-2008 07:24 PM

I thought of the belt sander also! Some 80 grit or less should cut it down. If some of you want to meet out there Sat and have a belt sander I'll bring the generator and can test on a couple of stripes.

Bob Malphurs 01-20-2008 07:29 PM

The stripes weren't painted on, it's rather like it came in a roll and laid out and melted in. They are (or were) about 3/8 inch thick! Mini speed bumps! The park n ride is the ideal place, big and in the public eye!

genesisG4 01-20-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs (Post 4098583)
The stripes weren't painted on, it's rather like it came in a roll and laid out and melted in. They are (or were) about 3/8 inch thick! Mini speed bumps!

So they just need removed? And not then replaced?

genesisG4 01-20-2008 07:33 PM

sounds like a commercial grade sander or diamond grinder from a rental place might have better luck removing those, unless there are not very many.

What is the address of the park and ride....or a cross street. I want to look at it on google satellite.