Cloned transponders

Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Cloned transponders

I had a ocnversation with Chris yesterday about cloned personal transponders. Apparrently these are compatible with AMB. They are quite a bit smaller and they will make one using a number you already have. That way you can put one in each car and not have to memorize multiple numbers. Its neat in theory but they arent answering e-mails very fast. Thats not a good sign.

Oh they also have personals you can use with the old AMB 20.

Heres the link.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Assuming this is the same company, there are a couple bad points: first you have to ship your transponder to them, so you're out a personal for 4-6 weeks. Second, once they clone yours, they can make as many clones of it as they want and sell them to other people, i.e. you could be at an event and someone else has the same number as you.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Thats not cool. You should be the only one with that number, no matter how many copies you have personally. They should protect your number for you. The PDF file on that link gives you the option to just order the clone without trading in your AMB. I would think that they would try to buy a block of numbers from AMB so that there wouldnt be any conflicts. It would also resolve any possible licensing conflicts, over the technology. Even though the chances of someone else having the same number would be pretty slim.

The personal for the old AMB 20 is cool. A lot of clubs still use those.

I have never heard of this company before. Maybe they arent that dependable. I do think AMB could come down on the transponder price.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

I don't think it's 100% legal, but since the two companies are based in different countries, there isn't much that can be done. However, AMB's prices keep going up.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

I trust AMB more. Even though they are more expensive. They are the standard, but the idea is cool.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 AM
bmr
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The issue of duplicate numbers has come up at large events before. When that has happened, the use of the number in conflict has gone to the racer that has possession of the original AMB transponder.