Opinions on ROAR 4-Cell Rule

Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Opinions on ROAR 4-Cell Rule

I'd like to know what everyone thinks about the possibility of ROAR changing everything over to 4 or 5 Cells?

Discuss

I wouldn't mind running 4-Cell Brushless! Touring or 1/12th
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 4 cell?

Ok color me late as this is the first I have heard of this; is it a "done deal" for 2007? Is it for Touring cars only? How about off-road? Just curious.

Seems like this is a step in the wrong direction, larger battery capacities and not to mention lipo seems like going down to 4 cell battery limits would be silly.

I'd buy 4 cell in a controlled novice/stock class to help new folks learn chassis set up and allow for slightly slower speeds.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My turn. I think this is being forced on the people with this one. The people who build the stuff make the rules. Li-Po's and brushless are not selling as fast as they like and has not caught on to change the rules so make it 4-cell to discourage it and force them to change over to get the speed back. Don't get me wrong I am a 4-cell guy but in certain classes. I will NOT race dirt oval with 4-cells. 6 is just too much fun but, there may not be a class soon if everyone turns toward it. Here's how I see it. We are not racing under roar around here. We do follow a lot of the rules and those of TCS. As long as WE race together let's run what we like for as long as we can. I have not been a roar member since the early 90's and have not missed a thing racing with the people in this area. I think we do pretty well on our own.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 11-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some interesting reads about it ...

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137887
http://www.redrc.net/2006/11/roar-th...-cell-touring/
http://forums.londonrc.com/showthread.php?p=98608
http://www.rcracing.com/msgthread.cf...iteMessages=18

We'll see what impact, if any, the decision has on future events. Snowbirds is clearly the largest event, and it isn't a ROAR sactioned event. Neither is IIC, nor Cleveland. The big electric events are not ROAR events. So, this could be the proverbial straw, meaning that it only distances electric that much further from ROAR.

For that matter, look at how the RC Pro Series is eating away at ROAR.

I've read some points that were decent arguements, such as making it easier for new people to join in and be competitive. Let's face it, Arun's fast. 8) And other points such as it being easier on the equipment (ESCs or tires, etc.).

But I disagree with with the cost arguement. We'll probably end up paying the same amount for 4 cells that we now do for 6 cells.

Plus, I gotta believe that companies whose business thrives on battery sales are scared $hitle$$ of LiPo simply because a racer would only need to buy one pack, no dischargers/equalizers, etc. and be able to use that single battery for at least a season, if not more. (LiPo's are typically good for 500 full discharge-charge cycles, then after that their capacity drops to 80%).

As for ROAR's influence ... what influence? It's the manufacturer's that have all of the influence. Take Trinity for example: Trinity has exponentially more influence. Last year's Snowbirds didn't allow brushless motors even though there were a slew of them on the market. Now Trinity makes a brushless motor and voila ... brushless is allowed at Snowbirds, whom Trinity is the major sponsor. If anyone recalls, Trinity's CEO (Ernie Provetti) had a full page article in several of the RC magazines earlier this year complaining (nice way of saying it) about brushless motors being allowed to compete against brushed motors in the same race.

So clearly, ROAR's decision will only be treated as a suggestion. The manufacturer's will have the greater influence.

Last edited by waltuo; 11-27-2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Good points Mike!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Exactly! It's all about the dollar. Back when roar only had 1/8th on road (remember the 2wd clubcar? Very good class) It was mostly run by the racers. Since then most every company bigwig has been on the board or in some way connected to a roar director. Lots of influence but it was great fun for a long time since we did not have as much to work with. Remember when Sanyo came out with the 1700 sce's? Roar said "But those are not legal, we race with 1200mah batteries". Sanyo said "No problem, we will just stop making 1200's". I liked that. Let'em have the 4-cell rule. I don't think the drag racers will worry. The local touring cars will still go for a long time with 6. And there are plenty of electric offroad cars and trucks out there that will be using 6 cells for quite some time. I will.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

(ROAR)

Last edited by D-man; 11-29-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 AM
mike henderson

Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by D-man
(ROAR) you guys need to pick up a roar book!!!! Batterys and brushless motors are a very small part of what roar is about. There races all over thats not roar rules ,but there are many that is... and i've seen rules change in the middle of a unroar races.. I read on here just about every day you guys crying about rules thay did this thay ran that and now you want to do away with the standard most races follow?????I saw a 1/8 scale break a guy leg at a race,roar picked up the bill.understand what all roar do before you talk down on it.
While I understand your point, I'm not sure I understand it's relevance given the context of the posts so far. I agree that it's good to have a unified sets of rules; I agree that electric is only a part of ROAR; I agree that no one wants the rules to change during an event; and I agree that ROAR does provide accident and liability insurance (although it does have it's loopholes just like any other insurance).

However, I haven't read anyone post (thus far) about doing away with the rules or ROAR (at least not in this thread). Nor has anyone argued against your other points.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry i misunderstood But i've been to the bird's many times and is a great race. If you have a chance to go GO you'll love it .

Last edited by D-man; 11-29-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:11 AM
mike henderson

So if it is not a sure shot win you shouldn't go to the race?
the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings and who knows you might be the one that brings the fat lady!
i think the famous line is (george help me here)...."Never give UP, Never give in"

Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by D-man
Sorry i misunderstood the post doing two things at one time..........BUT roar didn't let big manufacturers bring in things that every day racer could not get yet??? At the time last year it was brushless motors.Now everyone can go to the hobby shop and pick one up. If any of you guys are going to the snowbirds???? Its not a roar race,and the big teams will have things you can't get batterys 5200s, motors ,tires that you can't get. So how fair is that for you guys that spend big money to go and you don't have a shot in the dark to win????? Thats all im saying But i've been to the bird's many times and is a great race. If you have a chance to go GO you'll love it .
I do agree that ROAR does limit what can be brought into a race, or for that matter, what can be brought into a season of racing. No one wants the rules changed on them, especially mid-race.

However, as a point of clarification both LRP and Novak had brushless motors available well before Snowbirds 2006, competing at other events. Trinity was the reason Snowbirds didn't allow brushless motors at Snowbirds 2006 because Trinity didn't make a brushless motor at that time. Novak released the 4300 motor in 2003; the 4300 is the motor being used in one of the oval classes.

And as a second point of clarification, Snowbirds limits the batteries to 4300 mah and under, all motors are handout motors with the only exceptions being the modified and brushless classes. As for tires, handout CS27s will be used for the rubber tire classes.

I agree that the pro drivers get various parts that are not readily available. For example, it's typical to see pro drivers with chassis that are not available yet, hence we see them in the magazines. AE's next belt drive car, aka TC5, is a prime example of this. However, it's the pro driver's job to test these prototypes prior to mass production. So while I agree with you on your point, I don't fault the driver's for doing their job, nor the rules for allowing progress to be made.

We have definitely steered this ship off course from the 4-cell rule. 8)