Can racing b save in Georgia

Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Can racing b save in Georgia

I ran my car at the sugar bowl this weekend. The track was really nice and smooth. I also met a great group of guys. Sad thing is, I hear the bowl will b closing, mayb soon. Is there anthing that can b done 2 save this club? Or, start looking 2 built another 1.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Participation is the key. The Bowl's days are numbered and there isn't much we can do about that. Just keep enjoying it until the bulldozers rip it up. In the mean time, Prime Time Hobby (Calhoun) is trying to keep it's tracks going. George is starting a new carpet track in North GA. If off-road is your thing, Loganville and Rod Slinger's are key tracks to support.

But above all else, participation. Show up, race, and have fun. If people come out and race, others will be interested in coming out as well and the numbers will keep growing.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waltuo
Participation is the key. The Bowl's days are numbered and there isn't much we can do about that. Just keep enjoying it until the bulldozers rip it up. In the mean time, Prime Time Hobby (Calhoun) is trying to keep it's tracks going. George is starting a new carpet track in North GA. If off-road is your thing, Loganville and Rod Slinger's are key tracks to support.

But above all else, participation. Show up, race, and have fun. If people come out and race, others will be interested in coming out as well and the numbers will keep growing.

When will the carpet be open?

And btw, sorry I haven't been racing since the touring series - school/family stuff has been coming up but hopefully it will die down after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
mike henderson

VISIBILITY

Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

what mike?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 AM
mike henderson

very few people really know that r/c racing exists due to lack of visibility. we need to be more in the public eye, if we want sell this hobby to more people. Sorry I just don't know right now how to go about fixing it.
I am talking to some people who stage shows like World of Wheels etc....
about putting on an exibition race at one of these shows. It is only in the talking stage right now. But this is how we can help this hobby stay alive but....... there has to be more ideas out there that will work or could be tried.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Exibition races are cool and can generate interest, however, the only problem is that if you don't have a strong core place to direct people to when they ask, it doesn't do much good. For example, if we have a race there, and a newly interested person asks where do we race on a regular basis, it needs to be a place or places that have a strong following.

For a lot of people (that aren't hardcore addicted), the Bowl is too far. For that matter, George's carpet track isn't even "open" yet, and there have been complaints about it being too far. And Prime Time is subject to the same problem.

It's a shame that Hobbytown (Kennesaw) and/or other surrounding locations don't have a series between them. They typically have great locations in terms of visiblity. We could arrange a series between the Hobbytown (Kennesaw), Hobbytown (Newnan), Hobbytown (Gwinnet), Prime Time (Calhoun), Gamer's Getaway (Douglasville), insert others, etc. That's five shops in the metro area with each of the Hobbytown's as having the most visible locations. Of course, it would all depend on the shops providing parking lot space for it.

In the CA Bay area, several of the hobby shops work together and alternate when a race is at their location. Maybe something like that can be organized for the next GA series. The Bowl is great, but it is hidden. The Mini Cooper class grew during the series simply because people watched us race at Prime Time and found out (via announcers) that it is an inexpensive class to race.

If we can organize some parking lot races between the various hobby shops around town, we could have a killer series, with parts on hand, and grow the hobby.

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again. I think the Bowl is a great facility, but I think it is currently doing more harm than good for the hobby. If we get rid of that crutch, we can grow it. But it is a killer track and there's no reason why it can't be included in future series as it already has been.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
mike henderson

I think we are both saying the same thing in different ways. it is all about exposure and the support of the suppliers of the equipment( hobby shops)
now for a real importent question............where is the race this weekend?
I have been stuck in hearings all week and i am ready to bang some paint

Old 11-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

people the bowl was to close 4 years ago please just run until it does The club is still here and we will always have a track.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by D-man
people the bowl was to close 4 years ago please just run until it does The club is still here and we will always have a track.
I really hope u r right.. The track is really nice and a cool place 2 race.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

I just moved over here from Washington State and Onroad is a sad sight. The problem is that the hobby has become to expensive for new racers. Could you imagine having to cough up $15 to run three battery packs when your 10-17 years old? I know it was a turnoff for me at that age. I understand the tracks need to do it in order to survive however that's what has reduced the number of racers. Make your money on parts/upgrades. Next time you go racing look around and see how man young/new racers there are, not many if any that I can see? They are the future like it or not. If we cannot get new people we are done plain and simple. If somebody new shows up to the track take the time and help them as much as possible. Make them feel welcome. If they get in your way don't yell at them or smash them off the track, that's another thing I see to much of out here. They just won't come back. At my last track Novice classes raced free and the top three received gift certificates to the hobby shop. Tell me that's not an incentive and the classes were big, both novice nitro and novice electric. Another problem is that there are to many classes and not enough racers. Where is the glory of winning when there are two other racers? That's my 2 cents sorry if I offended anybody.

PS: Is there anyplace in GA that has a consistant A and B main 19t or Mod sedan class? If so let me know and I'll make the trip. Look forward to meeting you all.

Donny Schaff
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can agree with just about everything ive just read. The hobby its self needs some serious exposure for sure. I myself have been interested in racing for a looong time, but i never could afford it. now, when i finally have some decent equipment there is no where to race. There is a furniture store or something next to Hobbytown in Kennesaw that i thought about suggesting they rent out and at least do a few racese. but judging by the lack of on road cars they have in stock, i decided it wouldnt be worth it. I was sad to see TFB go, i used to go there from time to time and wish i could race there when i was about 15 but never had the money or the equpment. so i baught me a TL-01 just to get started and ended up turning to drifting once i found out how much it was to run. That, and seeing how much faster everyone was than i. I was very discuraged and sold most of my RC stuff. Now that im back into it, i am trying to get as many people as i can to come with me. but i just dont know where to tell them to go. So i say we get a hold of as many people as we can and start asking for a venue. Georgia needs a place to race. simple as that. and im prepared to fight for it. BRING RACNIG BACK TO GA!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

they could make a gpretty good carpet track at that place next to the hobbytown that is a good idea every one should like tell them they should do that because i dont feel like driving to tenesse to race on carpet.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

lol, I got an idea... lets just organize a day where everyone just meets up there and is like "do it.. now... or we'll... something..." lol im sure that would work great....
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
mike henderson

I can tell you the owner of hobby town in kennesaw will be a hard sell on racing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service