Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Florida Racing
What is wrong with touring car racing in florida? >

What is wrong with touring car racing in florida?

Like Tree95Likes

What is wrong with touring car racing in florida?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default What is wrong with touring car racing in florida?

What is wrong with touring car racing in florida? Does everyone hate each other? Are people partial to certain track owers? I genuinely don't get it. How does a state series race at kissimmee get 21 entries and a club race in daytona get 23? Is there really a need for multiple touring car classes when the entries are so low? Please everyone chime in.
ASM, Marcos.J and roadrage like this.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jimmy Morris View Post
What is wrong with touring car racing in florida? Does everyone hate each other? Are people partial to certain track owers? I genuinely don't get it. How does a state series race at kissimmee get 21 entries and a club race in daytona get 23? Is there really a need for multiple touring car classes when the entries are so low? Please everyone chime in.
What is wrong with "onroad" racing in Florida might be a better a question.
Not everyone, but many.
Yes.
I don't get it either.
Only three of the entries were touring cars.
No.

Dave
Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I dont get it either, the track was great ,great traction perfect weather Great racing too
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I know Jimmy and I have been out of Electric TC car racing for a few years but this weekend was honestly one of the most depressing things I have seen, and I don't mean Cory, Dave, and Austin kicking our asses. FSEARA races used to be great a few years back. Everyone showed up, there was mod (or 13.5), 17.5 and VTA and that was it. I feel sorry for the guys who really enjoy on-road RC car racing in Florida because the way this is going, there won't be much left.

If this weekend is any indication of how things are going to be moving forward, I believe all my stuff will be sold after Regionals. If the track owners, track groupies, and the rest of us can't get along and support each other, I don't want to be a part of it, and I will watch from the outside as you kill the hobby in Florida. Where, arguably we have the best tracks and talent in the US. This is coming from someone who has been in and out of the hobby over the past 5 years. I can't imagine what some of the newer guys are feeling.

I don't know how to fix it, but my opinion, there is no need for 3 local tracks to all be racing on the same day and we need to cut down on all the different classes.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:02 PM
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Jimmy, I'm glad someone finally asked the obvious question. We have gone from THE greatest state in the country for onroad to one of the worst.

I believe it is multi-pronged. First, the demise of Superior's club racing was a crucial blow. Most tracks promoted the series at their club races. Now, outside of the village, who has a legit program with a decent amount of racers? Maybe 386, but ultimately, it' s not anywhere close to what it was. This is bigger than most want to admit or accept.

Secondly, many track owners, directors, promoters, and racers alike have taken part in trying divide the racers. Many, which I will not name, because at this point it doesn't matter, have put their own personsal agenda ahead of what's best for us as a group. No one makes an effort to REALLY work together but there's a hell of an effort put forth to continue the division. Now, none of us can go to a race and face the state's best competition. It's a sad state of affairs.

For those of you who have taken aim at others individuals or at other tracks, based on your own agenda, I hope you are happy with the result. In turn, you have reaped what you have sown. We are all paying the price.

I couldn't make the state race but hope to make the Regionals. However, I expect the same turnout or less. Believe me, what has happened to us is the responsibility of about a handful of people.

I am in hopes that Izzy can begin the mending but in my opinion, several guys are going to have to man up, swallow their pride, and find a way to be a real leader in this state and not someone who divides. It's going to take everyone to just make a decision to bury the hatchet and move forward.

Let's work together, and focus our efforts on forgiving and rebuilding this state's elite racing programs at every level. Thanks Jimmy for being the one to finally open the subject.

Last edited by ASM; 03-26-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Something you need to consider is the cost. Equipment. Race fees tires motor batteries. It cost a good chunk of money to be competitive. I used to race state series but the cost has kept me away. I hope it goes well.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope we can all look at racing in a simple manner:

Go race at a track and/or various tracks and have fun.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post
Something you need to consider is the cost. Equipment. Race fees tires motor batteries. It cost a good chunk of money to be competitive. I used to race state series but the cost has kept me away. I hope it goes well.
Trust me, I get the cost thing. State Race fees are up 60% from a few years ago, motor cost is just silly...$150 plus for some of them. Is it possible to work out a handout motor or motor/esc combo for the state series? You buy a motor at the beginning of the season and that's it. You turn it back in after each race and you aren't allowed to open it up over the weekend.

I think that will help a lot of the motor of the week costs or guys running something that may or may not be legal. If a company could step up and sell a ton of last years motors to the series at a huge discount, they could potentially move old dead stock and get some advertising out of it also. Coughtrinitycough.

If we're all on the same playing field horsepower wise, that may entice some people to come back and race. Implement a rule that after a race weekend if someone wants your motor, you have to swap with them, or no one ever gets the same motor twice. Anything to keep it even and fair because at the end of the day isn't that what spec racing is about?

I've been going to state races since ~2003 and I've made some really good lasting friendships because of it. It would be a shame to let it go to shit over some silly disagreements between track owners and their followers. I really hope everyone comes to regionals and we can all sit down and talk this over at the track or dinner. Hope to see everyone there
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've been going to state races since ~2003 and I've made some really good lasting friendships because of it. It would be a shame to let it go to shit over some silly disagreements between track owners and their followers. I really hope everyone comes to regionals and we can all sit down and talk this over at the track or dinner. Hope to see everyone there
100% agreed! I would love to see a great turnout, highly contested racing, and the old friendly banter that we all enjoyed.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Very good points. Motor battery esc wars have existed for many years. Maybe 1 esc. And 1 motor rule would level the playing field. Limit the batteries to one choice. Like they do in Europe. Just an idea.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We stopped racing the series due to all arguing. Also the class changes . Seems like if people could not place well they wanted to make another class . VB also if you don't have enough people to turn Marshall after their race it should not be run . Three dose not make a class .Untill you people realize that new state racers come from local tracks and club races your attendance will keep getting smaller .
We went gas racing . 3 classes I set of rules races are ran the way it should be . Actually have car manufacturers racing with us and support us .Along with help us get faster and be more competitive and actually don't get their feelings hurts when you can run with them and sometimes win.
There will always be the fast guys .But that's what makes you a better competitor if you're willing to put the work in.
GMartinez likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm glad someone started this thread. As the only orginal person left that started the State series I've seen the highs and lows. With what happened this past year ? Both Izzy and myself are working on repairing the damage done and rebuilding the series.As for the other tracks running at the same time as the series- They are a business and have rent to pay and local racers that won't travel.
By the way I choose not to go at the last minute after taking with the other guy that wanted to race my class- GT17.5. The cost of equipment is not a good excuse. Look at offroad it's even more expensive and a bigger turn outs.
Things will get better when we get everything organized- we have many racers coming back because of Izzy.We will make the series Great again!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Maybe just go back to the 2-3 quals and main on Sunday and just leave open practice on Saturday . Maybe that will bring some of the cost of Hotels for some people. I was out for a few years traveling for work so I missed all the drama but I do remember when we had a lot of entries in the series. Hope izzy will bring it back
number_0 likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Look at offroad it's even more expensive and a bigger turn outs.
True Statement. Though I am unsure about the total cost of the sport being the reason racing is low in your area, I ran a buggy class last week that had 65 entries. The cost has always been a factor in racing regardless if it is r/c, karts motocross or ama. I have just got back into racing, I honesty think the cost now is about the same from 5-10 years ago when you take into account what you have, lipo's and brushless motors being a good example, I remember having to rebuild a motor every few races and those good old sanyo 2000 packs I would have to make . I have 3 tracks near me, luckily I am able to go to all 3 because they don't all race the same day or week.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Let's be honest. Cost isn't the reason we have 20 entries at a State level event lol.
Marcos.J and number_0 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service