Search

Input on Liability issue for new track

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs down Input on Liability issue for new track

Sorry if this is not the right area for this, feel free to move it as needed:

Evening folks, this is more focused toward those that have their hand in running or managing a track here in the State of Florida.

We as a club are trying to obtain land to build on though one of the local cities, and we have been hit with something that I have never heard of before.

Our requirements is that we carry 1million/1million liability ( which I know is covered by ROAR) but here is the funny thing that they threw in there and tell me if they are crazy or if this is a new trend that is now coming down the pike?

#############################
Sexual Misconduct / Abuse / Molestation of $1,000,000 per occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate, name the City as Additional Insured. This coverage may be a separate policy, or an endorsement to the General Liability, or included in the General Liability policy; nonetheless, this coverage and it limits must be clearly be shown in the Certificate of Insurance. Claims shall be on an Occurrence basis, not Claims Made.
#############################

You would think that the city would have something like this in place already, so to me this is like a double dip issue, and who would be responsible should something happen!!.

So far in my searches this is mainly directed at things such as Schools, daycares and the like. And what is really intresting the largest rider that can be found nation wide at this point is only for 250,000. So if any one has any info or input, please feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks for your time
JT
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

JT, this kind of requirement is all thanks to the increasing number of pervs out there and both a legal and insurance system driven by dollar signs. Those of us who have worked in youth recreation saw it coming years ago.
My club recently stopped activity but I just recently called ROAR regarding the insurance issue and I got a real eye opener. Just so you know..if you don't run a genuine ROAR program and have a track that qualifies to ROAR specs, you might as well be holding a losing poker hand because you'll basically be bluffing the land owner. The ROAR insurance company was VERY specific. We ran VTA and GT primarily but also offered ROAR TC. Our track was a parking lot with PVC and Road Rails combo. I was told that under no circumstances would that qualify for any claim protection. Bottom line...you can get ROAR membership....you can make people become members....but that in no way means that the insurance will ACTUALLY honor a claim. So plan on making your program and your track to ROAR specs ONLY.
As for the additional coverage AND assuming you're going to be a REAL ROAR operation, you should contact them and see if they can get you the additional coverage with the ROAR policy. If not then you'll simply have to start shopping for a supplement to the ROAR binder or get a policy outside of ROAR (which changes the ROAR requirement).
The other possibility is to ask the city if they have a policy available. It's likely they have a group policy to cover city and county employees , contractors and vendors (like you).
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Evo,

Thanks much for that input. It an eye opener in what your saying.

Here I thought that if you followed the ROAR rules, they come out and inspect the course that it would be a given that your covered. But with anything it sounds as if that there will be loop holes should there be something that happens.

It makes me wonder if a setup like at the Snowbirds would be covered. But never mind that is not what I am trying figure out at this point.

So now I must rethink on how to go about this... sounds like the best way would be to follow the ROAR Rules, get approved, pay for the yearly coverage to be able to host ROAR runs, but get the track its own Gen Libility and pervert insurance ( which I am finding out the only way to get it is by buying both coverages at the same time )

I have emailed ROAR about this, being I work nights and sleep days, and see if they have anything in place like what is needed.

Thanks for the in sight Evoracer
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wvrcclub
Evo,

Thanks much for that input. It an eye opener in what your saying.

Here I thought that if you followed the ROAR rules, they come out and inspect the course that it would be a given that your covered. But with anything it sounds as if that there will be loop holes should there be something that happens.

It makes me wonder if a setup like at the Snowbirds would be covered. But never mind that is not what I am trying figure out at this point.
So now I must rethink on how to go about this... sounds like the best way would be to follow the ROAR Rules, get approved, pay for the yearly coverage to be able to host ROAR runs, but get the track its own Gen Libility and pervert insurance ( which I am finding out the only way to get it is by buying both coverages at the same time )

I have emailed ROAR about this, being I work nights and sleep days, and see if they have anything in place like what is needed.

Thanks for the in sight Evoracer
WOW

Last edited by rcpaintinpete; 05-10-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: im not a poser lol
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
this is the kind of crap that comes out of trying to be a smart ass
and talk shit
Not even worth the effort to reply...

Thanks so much for your input on the issue at hand
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wvrcclub