Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Florida Racing
Dirt Devils Offroad RC Club, Delray Beach >

Dirt Devils Offroad RC Club, Delray Beach

Dirt Devils Offroad RC Club, Delray Beach

Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Tomorrow's a work day folks! We'll be working at our new track in Delray from here on out. Work starts at 9am come by and lend a hand. We'll be working on pit lane.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Huge thanks to those that came out to work yesterday morning! We managed to build a section of pit lane and part of the second section. Hopefully the city will deliver our clay sooner than later. We have lots of building to go and need all the help we can get.

As you can see from the photos, we have almost everything we need to build an awesome track. Just as soon as the county parks department finishes another project they're working on, we'll have tons of clay delivered courtesy of them.

Dan has ordered the MyLaps counting system as well as a bunch of transponders. Please PM DanDrc for more info on them.

Front view of track site:

Just two of the many pre-built 6 x 10 stand sections we have:

Our supply depot:

All of our coping, and the rest of the stand sections. One or two of the sections will be dedicated to the computer equipment and pa system, at least 30ft worth will be driver's stand, we'll have a 16-20ft waste-high pit lane, and a handicap accessible driver's area.

Eastward view. She's gonna be a big'un! Get ready for 30 second 1/10th lap times! 5th scale events anyone?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default track construction

talked to park manager today , he claims park crew will be back next week to start moving material for track surface. we started constructing old driver stand sections into a pit lane thanx to hineken, sparechange racer and speeed and myself . i want to get another work day going this sunday again if possible ,we can make a get together of it ,i will bring hot dogs and cold drinks for everyone . bring your tents ,chairs and family.we can share opinions and suggestions,and good conversation.all help is deeply appreciated.thanx
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

That's AWESOME!! I think getting the city to move our clay and shell rock is half the battle.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up lap counter

recieved lap counting system today.also a banner for track.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

A helpful tip for new tracks. Even old ones! An easy way to pick up rocks and leave the dirt. (The back saver i call it)
I invented it for my DO track in Nashville. Works with any dirt. Go to Lows or Home Depo and pick up a Mahoney, like the one you sweep trash in to. Comes with a small broom. 15-18 bucks. Cut out the bottom and put 1/8th inch wire mesh in place of the bottom. Sweep in the rock and dirt. Shake it a few time and the dirt falls out and the rock stays! Good for filling small divots in the tract as well!
It’s well worth its weight in Gold when you don’t have to bend over a few hundred times a week!
I built a Drag that has a knife edge on the front that kicks the rock on top of the steel grate. I put the mesh on top, and the mesh lets the dirt fall back on the track evenly all the way around. But keeps the rock! I don’t know how to put pic’s on here or I would post.. Hope it helps guys?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the tip! I actually have a spare one of those at home from the deli I used to own. I'll have to donate it to the track. Any other cheap tips?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Another Sunday gone and some great progress accomplished! It was great to see a nice turnout and to meet some club members. The chili dogs and salads provided by Dan and Sharon really hit the spot after some heavy lifting
If we keep this up we'll be racing in no time!

Dan has extra AMB Transponders at a discounted price for club members! PM him for the details!

Here's a shot of the raised pit lane construction.

The retaining wall starting to get laid out

Crockpot chili and hot dogs! Tough to beat!

The layout of the track was roped out a few weeks ago if anyone wants to walk it

Raised pit lane sections were put near their final place. Next week we sink those puppies into the ground and make them permanent!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up water line

bamma and fast freddie are hooking us up with a water line from the lake this weekend.i talked to one of the guys from the park work crew yesterday ,he says they will be finishing the project they're working on today.so we should be seeing some progrees soon.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Went by the park today to let my son burn off some energy and watch the dirt oval guys. To my pleasant surprised I arrived and saw two fresh loads of shell rock for our track dumped. Time to start building up the base of our berms and corners!
I'll be bringing a power auger with me tomorrow to drill the holes in the ground for pit lane. We'll put the two finished sections in their place and build the entry and exit ramps. Dan and I would also like to grab the 3rd section we'll use for the driver's stand and move it next to the other two.
It's all hands on deck guys, the more people we have the more we'll be able to accomplish! Last week we had a GREAT turnout, but it could always be better

Tomorrow, Sunday, March 4th, 2012. Let's get some work done!

Address:
10875 Atlantic Avenue
Delray Beach, Florida 33436

Link to a map

This thread has over 2,000 views, but less than 60 posts. Don't be shy, introduce yourselves!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Shameless bump for help with the track tomorrow morning!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Ok, construction pics are getting a bit monotonous so let's break it up with some great news. A BIG CONGRATS to Rick for winning the raffle on the SC10 4x4. Here's a pic of the drawing and of Rick accepting his prize from our fearless leader Dan.

Here's a shot of our first two piles of shellrock for the berms. You can see the dirt oval club in the background gettin er done.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Just wanted to post some pictures of what West Delray Regional Park has to offer. This park is a hidden gem in Palm Beach County. It's also soon going to be an RC heaven.

Some of the offerings besides the soon to be offroad track..

Dirt Oval in full force:

Heli Port

Airport

Boat Lake

Info

And soon, World Class Offroad RC'ing!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for posting the pictures of the various locations within the park.
And thanks for posting the picture of me accepting the winning truck from Dan. Now I can prove to my girlfriend that I won the truck and didn't spend more just to have "another" vehicle. (Just kidding)

I think it is a very good idea to post pictures and activities of our club and the oval club too. The more people know, the more will come join us to race and thus the better for the club to make improvements and upkeep to the tracks. I'm sure several racers are going to be using both tracks for variety and fun. That being said, we will be the only place in South Florida that offers 2 seperate tracks within feet of each other.

Rick
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Your welcome! I completely agree, the more people that know what this great park has to offer, the better off we'll all be. Race entries will be be up and the parks department will see that their efforts were for a great cause.

What also helps us is comments on this thread. Every time someone comments or posts their opinion this thread gets bumped to the top. It gets the most action when it stays near the top of the page. It's a simple thing, but it helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.