Wiki Posts
Search

What is the interest in Club Racing @ Bartow 555

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default What is the interest in Club Racing @ Bartow 555

Okay, so in November 2010 I took my son to a little track in Melbourne, FL to watch some RC action. We left and I was hooked. It brought back all the memories of my motocross days of racing Dade City with Yoho, Carmichael, etc.

So here we are almost 5 months later and I still have the bug. I've been going to Bartow, Lake Park and the Asylum on weekends looking for a place to call home and just have fun.

For the last few weeks I have been talking with the folks at Bartow Parks and Rec trying to figure out how we can get the Triple Nickel 555 back on the map. Before I go to far though I want to make sure there is interest. I also know this won't be easy and I have a family, work and my honey do's so I cannot do it alone. I will however commit to find out what we need to do to get it going if there is enough interest.

At one point I considered looking into approaching Carter Park in Lakleand because they have the land, bike trails, etc that seem to make it a good fit. The problem though is Bartow is 80% there, it just needs some TLC and commitment.

Consider this a feeler thread. If you would be interested in club racing again at Bartow 555 please post here and add what class you would like. Once we get an idea of interest I can see where I want to take it with Parks and Rec.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default I'm In

I'm In
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

of subject,i did quads at dade city
Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
of subject,i did quads at dade city
I loved Dade City. We drove over every weekend pretty much from Melbourne for 3-4 years. Got to race with RC when he was a kid on a 60. Even the he was sick fast and smooth.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Wink

Bartow used to have one of the biggest weekly turnouts for club racing. I've raced there of and on 15+ years. Over the last few years the biggest problem has been finding someone to run the races and a "enough" people to do track prep. Kevin Bell gave a good effort for a while to make it happen, with not a lot of help and for many reasons he gave up. With the Asylum not running much Nitro, there is a need for at least Bi-weekly Nitro/Club racing in Polk Co/Central FL area. If someone got the Lap counter system and just setup dates for say 3 to 4 months and stick to it, People would show up. I live less than 1mile from the track any given weekend you'll see 15-30 people down there at different time. The turn out might not 40 entries at first but whoever decides to do it must be patient. Run anything (3 or more make a class) even Monster Trucks alot of guys who come down there and bash have them, if they have a place to race you'll have some paying entries and they might become a "RACER". Place Flyers with dates/classes maybe contact info to whoever is going to run the races at the track, places like here on RC TECH make posts. Set the dates and take the "LEAP", I for one would be there as much as my schedule would allow me. The only thing maybe you need to decide is day/night& SAT/SUN, GOOD LUCK keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASATRUGGYFAN
Bartow used to have one of the biggest weekly turnouts for club racing. I've raced there of and on 15+ years. Over the last few years the biggest problem has been finding someone to run the races and a "enough" people to do track prep. Kevin Bell gave a good effort for a while to make it happen, with not a lot of help and for many reasons he gave up. With the Asylum not running much Nitro, there is a need for at least Bi-weekly Nitro/Club racing in Polk Co/Central FL area. If someone got the Lap counter system and just setup dates for say 3 to 4 months and stick to it, People would show up. I live less than 1mile from the track any given weekend you'll see 15-30 people down there at different time. The turn out might not 40 entries at first but whoever decides to do it must be patient. Run anything (3 or more make a class) even Monster Trucks alot of guys who come down there and bash have them, if they have a place to race you'll have some paying entries and they might become a "RACER". Place Flyers with dates/classes maybe contact info to whoever is going to run the races at the track, places like here on RC TECH make posts. Set the dates and take the "LEAP", I for one would be there as much as my schedule would allow me. The only thing maybe you need to decide is day/night& SAT/SUN, GOOD LUCK keep us posted.
Well, I went out before the state race and talked to Luther Tdont have his contact info) and he said they had all the equipment still, they just needed a laptop - which I offered to him.

I love the Asylum, but like you said 1 Nitro race a month isn't enough. So, if we can get maybe 2 a month at Bartow on the weekends that Asylum does their electric it may work. I would think the two tracks could compliment each other.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SDelaney, any idea of what it would take to get something going at carter road? I too think it would be a good fit and not to mention the larger base of racers in Lakeland. Also Carter road gets quite a bit of traffic that would be good for exposure and bringing new people in.

Nothing against Bartow, I like the place, I raced there 15 or so years ago and with me just getting back into the sport, I have been going there a couple times the past month to get some practice in. But I do see the place needing allot of work as well.

Please keep me posted on what’s going on. I'm in the same boat as you as far as family life but I am interested in helping out.

BTW, old dirt eater here, I raced quads in the ftr series off and on for years.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nothing at all against Carter Rd, but its pretty hard to start a new facility. Your much better off if you could a "CORE" group of people to get 555 back race ready. Racers from all over the state know where 555 is, its established good location plenty of parking. Lakeland is not the far, if 555 not racing your driving to Asylum or Lake Park either is much father. Just my .02 cents.SDelaney PM me if I can be any help.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASATRUGGYFAN
Nothing at all against Carter Rd, but its pretty hard to start a new facility. Your much better off if you could a "CORE" group of people to get 555 back race ready. Racers from all over the state know where 555 is, its established good location plenty of parking. Lakeland is not the far, if 555 not racing your driving to Asylum or Lake Park either is much father. Just my .02 cents.SDelaney PM me if I can be any help.
This was exact thought on Carter Park. The county has one abondoned RC park (some would argue) so I can't see them being interested in allocating land for another. Not to mention the cost to build a new track would be extremely expensive.

I will keep everyone posted.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to see club racing return to 555. I'm not far from this track at all and would like to see it fired back up once or twice a month. would be willing to help out as well. BTW 1/8 truggy
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Just wanted to update. I am hoping to have a meeting with the folks at Bartow in another week or two. They are interested in talking and seeing what can be done.

Again, if there is no interest in racing out there my feelings won't be hurt. Just let me know.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'd be up for racing there once a month or so. The Asylum is the only place in CFL right now running Nitro, we need another place... Bartow is a decent track, and it's already there, so we should use it.

Lenny who is calling the races at the Asylum might be able to help with race software. He has everything, including an AMB decoder box. PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I might be interested in helping but due to past experience there I will sit back and watch to see how it goes for a while before I dump more effort and money into that track. The last time I helped we all got soaked and Still kind of sour about it. I dont even go there to fart around anymore. Really not much to fix her up, more time than anything.
Good luck!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 555

I know alot of people would like to see an electric short course truck class out there again. Bartow is a great track and kinda centrally located for everybody. I ran nitro stadium trucks there years back and loved it. Hope it works out again.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Be patient guys 555 is going to open up again, I have all of the track equipment the only thing that I need is a laptop and we're racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.