Short Course Rules

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

No aftermarket tires in Stock class.In mod they are fine.Alluminum shock caps are not a performance upgrade but a durability upgrade and I think durability upgrades should be allowed allong with brand switching of tires and electronics in the Stock class.....I personally don't think there is room for a Spec class in addition to Stock and Mod classes for club racing.At bigger events I could see it but at the club level I think it would be spreading the classes too thin..Absolutely no buggy tires.The Caliburs and Goosebumps are awesome for Mod racing with a big brushless motor.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

andy thanks for the input. but we have our rules set. what we are looking for is to get more tracks on board.

last weekend one of our locals went out of town to run open short course and was told he could race.

this is why we tracks need to get som format.

I seems that the general consenses is that box stock was cool when there were slashes only but with 4 trucks it isn't working that great.

the approach we are taking here at RCIS is stock Chassis, stock brand mixing tires and adding the 17.5 brushless (because of realiability of rtr products) and 7.4 volt lipo or 6 cell nimh.

we think that the short course class as a hole needs to move in the direction of the other offroad classes. those classes are controlled by motor and battery.

what we don't want here is a tech nightmare. which with 4 trucks it was quickly heading that way. we have also seen a influx of new racers and they are hard on equipment and most have bought the slash. which if you look at it with all the plastic is clearly inferior in the durablity. so to us it makes sense to allow those racers to bring there slash up to par with the other trucks on the market. when you have a new racer they can become really discouraged when there truck keeps breaking. and they want more durablity but the rules say they can't. now what goes through there head is instead of a 30 dollar shock up grade they have to buy a new 200+ truck.

hopefully we can all get on board and help this hobby grow.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You know it looks like this has already been figured out, by a sanctioning body of all people...
http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...lass_Rules.pdf

17.5 and after market electronics are legal for ROAR events.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is no duability issue with the slash. We have been running 2 of them for over a year with very little breakage. I was told I had to buy the aluminum shock cap upgrades right away and they are still in the bag. The only issue with the slash is the tires on hard dry tracks. They are just not competitive.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

the Slash is probibly the most durable truck on the market, the only real duribility issue is the shock caps, and the rear bumper mount that has the hanging down part, those are about it.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Yup no fun when you drive out of town for a CLUB race and get teched on a battery/tire combo-- I even offered to go back to stock tires but my battery was not good enough for the standards of one person btw i had either a DTX 6cell Shrink wrapped or a 2s lipo(team orion experience hard pack) the DTX was beat up looking.. Trying to get into SC racing and my first out of town exp was a negative. I agree with dave that the FL tracks should try and get on the same page for the set of Rules for both stock and open SC classes!!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nights1000
Yup no fun when you drive out of town for a CLUB race and get teched on a battery/tire combo-- I even offered to go back to stock tires but my battery was not good enough for the standards of one person btw i had either a DTX 6cell Shrink wrapped or a 2s lipo(team orion experience hard pack) the DTX was beat up looking.. Trying to get into SC racing and my first out of town exp was a negative. I agree with dave that the FL tracks should try and get on the same page for the set of Rules for both stock and open SC classes!!
I feel ya. I just got a sc10 and have been looking into racing at a few different tracks and I cant figure whats the rules for what track. I dont really care what the rules are as long as each track clearly post up to date current rules on their site or a forum. I think the stock OEM motor and speedo rule needs to get canned. These rtr set ups are always burning up they are junk you can buy a used top of the line brushed esc for less than a new stock esc. I think the mix and match electronics is rather stupid. It's a pain to figure out which of the crap is the least crappy. It makes a lot more sense to spend a little more money to have a speedo and motor that will last a while.

If I was running the races the rules would be:
1. any speedo
2. any 17.5 brushless or 27t brushed (even though a well built 27t will have an advantage)
3. 7.4v 2cell lipo or 7.2v 6cell sub c
4. a spec tire such as goosbumps (stock tires also allowed)
5. any sc body
6. no spoilers or wings
7. any OEM stock sc servo (I personally hate driving with cheapy servos but $80+ servos will scare away new comers)
8. shock oil and springs may be changed
9. any radio/receiver
10. anything not mentioned in 1-9 must be unaltered OEM stock

box stock OEM sc10 vs. sc10 with a 17.5 brushless setup
-handles good------------------------17.5 truck has no handling advantage
-plenty of power----------------------17.5 truck has equal or less power
-electronics are not dependable--------17.5 truck electronics are dependable

What I'm getting at is a 17.5 brushless has no advantage over a stock oem truck. So if sombody wants to run 17.5 because they are sick of constantly changing motors and speedos they should be allowed to because it does not give them an advantage on the track.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

amen brother
Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Thats how I feel--