Coral Springs On-Road Track >

Coral Springs On-Road Track

Like Tree6Likes

Coral Springs On-Road Track

Old 11-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Which car do you recommend to get into on-road. I have been there several times but in the off-road side and wanted to maybe give on-road a try. Looking into the 17.5 TC class

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would highly recommend an XRAY T4. They are extremely durable and many guys have parts. What this means to you is that you can borrow/buy a part and finish your race day. It is no fun going home early because you do not have a small part. I have never purchased a new car. I have always bought a chassis that is 3-5 years old. I would recommend 2016-2019 if you want to purchase used. For asphalt, I think the 2016-2017 might be better for you. They tend to have a bit more traction. This is not etched in stone though, so do not sweat the year so much as long as it is within the range that I suggested. Most of the motors are equal these days. I like Team Powers, Trinity, Surpass, and possibly Fantom. I have purchased R1 motors, but they blow sensor boards, so I will not purchase them anymore..... Most of us use Hobbywing ESC's. They range from $50-$200 depending on which one you choose. There is no difference in speed, but the brakes are a tiny bit better with the more expensive models. Not a huge deal.... As far as a body there are many.... Protoform Type S, LTCR, etc...... As far as a servo, I think everything works pretty well. I do like to use low profile servos as there is extra room to configure my car. If you have a decent servo already you do not need to purchase one. Batteries are 2S stick packs. Tires are Solaris and I will give you a couple of practice sets. At our track tire wear is not too bad, so the tires last a very long time. At first, it will be about your car setup and driving lines. You do not need to spend a fortune to get good. I will be at the track on Saturday and can answer more questions..... You will need to learn how to clean your tires before you run and apply a sauce. Most of us use break cleaner to clean the tires. You need the Non-chlorinated version and should buy it at Walmart for $1.78 a can. Do not worry if you do not have everything. We are a bunch of FRIENDLY guys and always help the new guys. Our track is growing because of this......
Old 11-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I would highly recommend an XRAY T4. They are extremely durable and many guys have parts. What this means to you is that you can borrow/buy a part and finish your race day. It is no fun going home early because you do not have a small part. I have never purchased a new car. I have always bought a chassis that is 3-5 years old. I would recommend 2016-2019 if you want to purchase used. For asphalt, I think the 2016-2017 might be better for you. They tend to have a bit more traction. This is not etched in stone though, so do not sweat the year so much as long as it is within the range that I suggested. Most of the motors are equal these days. I like Team Powers, Trinity, Surpass, and possibly Fantom. I have purchased R1 motors, but they blow sensor boards, so I will not purchase them anymore..... Most of us use Hobbywing ESC's. They range from $50-$200 depending on which one you choose. There is no difference in speed, but the brakes are a tiny bit better with the more expensive models. Not a huge deal.... As far as a body there are many.... Protoform Type S, LTCR, etc...... As far as a servo, I think everything works pretty well. I do like to use low profile servos as there is extra room to configure my car. If you have a decent servo already you do not need to purchase one. Batteries are 2S stick packs. Tires are Solaris and I will give you a couple of practice sets. At our track tire wear is not too bad, so the tires last a very long time. At first, it will be about your car setup and driving lines. You do not need to spend a fortune to get good. I will be at the track on Saturday and can answer more questions..... You will need to learn how to clean your tires before you run and apply a sauce. Most of us use break cleaner to clean the tires. You need the Non-chlorinated version and should buy it at Walmart for $1.78 a can. Do not worry if you do not have everything. We are a bunch of FRIENDLY guys and always help the new guys. Our track is growing because of this......
Thank you so much.

Let me see when can I make it.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

I have always bought a chassis that is 3-5 years old.
I would agree here. Craigslist/offerup/ebay is your friend.

Be prepared to take it apart and rebuild of course.

Seth

P.S. Unless you have a preference on the electronics (or just like to be different like me), just use what others have at the track to keep it simple.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Test and Tune tomorrow 11/23/19 9am-3pm. Track will be prep (VHT) like race day.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Coral Springs On Road is going to have a race on Sunday December 22nd, 2019.
Classes:
VTA
USGT
F1
Stock Touring car - 17.5 turn motor
Modified Touring Car
Bomber

New "Professional" berms are in the process of being installed. Our Track is going to be one of the best in Florida/USA..... Come out and get some exercise running after some cars before you stuff yourself a few days later.....
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

that track would be too small to drive a 1/5 scale car on ?
Old 12-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

^^ LOL.
Well I meant alone, now with 10th scales. So better yet, is anyone running 8th scale cars on-road?
nitro like back in the day (2002)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

There are three nitro on-road tracks still operating in Florida that I know of. Homestead ( just to the left front of the main entrance of the NASCAR track ) , The Fort Myers civic center, The Nuggets R/C track in Arcadia ( just had its like 8th annual Cow Patty Classic this past weekend ) None of these tracks are open to public use unless they are doing a practice or a race event. My advice if you like racing R/C Is to find a sucker that will trade you one good 1/10th electric xray t4 car for 2 or 3 1/5 scales. Tons of electric tracks to run at, plus an electric state series and they also run 2 of their races at the larger nitro tracks during the series.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 427 COBRA View Post
There are three nitro on-road tracks still operating in Florida that I know of. Homestead ( just to the left front of the main entrance of the NASCAR track ) , The Fort Myers civic center, The Nuggets R/C track in Arcadia ( just had its like 8th annual Cow Patty Classic this past weekend ) None of these tracks are open to public use unless they are doing a practice or a race event. My advice if you like racing R/C Is to find a sucker that will trade you one good 1/10th electric xray t4 car for 2 or 3 1/5 scales. Tons of electric tracks to run at, plus an electric state series and they also run 2 of their races at the larger nitro tracks during the series.

?? so are you saying I am a sucker because I like my 1/5 =)
Electric is ok..
Old 12-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Coral Springs On Road Race Sunday 12/29/2019
Get those cars ready....

F1
VTA
USGT
17.5 Touring Cars
Modified
10 Scale Nitro
Bomber

Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Is there an onroad race Sunday 1/19? Just checked the calendar on the website where it states there is racing on Sunday. If so, when does the track open? Thank you.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Waltrip55 View Post
Is there an onroad race Sunday 1/19? Just checked the calendar on the website where it states there is racing on Sunday. If so, when does the track open? Thank you.
We are racing Sunday 1/19/2020. I think it's safe to say that the gates open at 8 AM. The track will be prepped and sprayed for maximum traction. We would love to have you. Do you have any questions?
Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

We are racing Sunday 1/19/2020. I think it's safe to say that the gates open at 8 AM. The track will be prepped and sprayed for maximum traction. We would love to have you. Do you have any questions?
Great, thanks for confirming. I've been to this track one time last year, had a blast. I'll be there on Sunday with my son, hoping for great weather.