What car to get?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What car to get?

I am thinking of getting into rc on road racing, probably electric to start and am wondering what cars are competitive. It looks like xray, schumacher, ae, losi, hot bodies... and a few others are all good. if xray, which model? eu or us? any help would be great.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Any of the current models are competetive. I would look to see what some of the locals are running, and what you can get parts for easy....

If you decide on the Xray go with the EU model
Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default EU edition

...EU edition because it has rubber tires and chassis is thinner for purposeful flex (outdoor asphalt racing)

Schumacher might not be a bad choice either. They have pros in the Tampa area that can assist with setup and get parts quickly.

Losi is highly underrated. Great car, reasonable parts. I started out with one, and my driving was the problem. When I drive the JRX-S (front motor) now I am reminded how well this car handles curves. If you get the updated car make sure you adjust the springs to a much softer spring set immediately and you'll be 95% there with setup.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks, after a few hours online last night I am now a bit baffled on what to power an onroad electric tc with. Etc. type of batteries, motor brushed or brushless,should i get a esc that will work with brushed and brushless, why rubber is better than foam tires, ahhh. I have such a competitive gene, I know that I just want to go fast, but at the same time, I dont want to buy "stuff" and then replace it with the right "stuff"
thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, a few answers for ya. Rubber is not better than Foam, but Foam tires are not legal for any touring races on asphalt in the the state of florida that I know of. As far as a speed control, I would go ahead and get one that can run both brushless and brushed motors. Brushless seems like the future, so save your self some money and get the right one to begin with. Any of the top touring cars will work. X-Ray,Shumacher, Losi, Corally, etc. But it's setup and more importantly track time and practice that will determine how well you do. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would get whatever car you can get parts for easily. What hobby shop has the available parts on the wall. Usually A-arms and steering parts are what you will be breaking quickly until you learn to drive. Practice and setup are the most important thing you can do. I'd go brushless 13.5 stock with the novak SS system. That's where this hobby is going(brushless).
Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I were you I would go with the Schumacher mi3. It's easy to get parts and there is plenty of support for them throughout the state of florida. I currently run the Tamiya MSX and I will be switching over to the mi3 soon because of the lack of support and parts for Tamiya.