Wiki Posts
Search

Modified Racing Rule Change, and growing Classes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Modified Racing Rule Change, and growing Classes

I have taken the poll down from the website. It appears Roar voted to maintain 6 cell for the 2007 season. The goal is to develop a greater presence of drivers in the mod class. I know there are a lot of excellent drivers that run our series in both stock and 19 turn that are more than qualified to run mod. I think what is needed is the stock class be open to more beginning/intermediate drivers, therefore growing the class and newcomers not being discouraged from being lapped several times in a stock class.
I know I have had a lot of interest from drivers that have not been running mod to vote on the rule change. Would a change bring you into the class?
Also for those sponsored drivers not running modified, what are the reasons?
Thanks for the input
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would run mod if it went to 4 cell . I dont run it now simply because of the cost verses other classes i.e wear and tear on the car , tire wear , cost of and need to have better cells to be competitive. I can run last years 3300's and stay on the lead lap and or win a race in 19 turn or stock ...... Not going to hapen in mod. Not sure if this is what you were looking for , but if it goes to 4 cell , i'm in....
Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by N4S
I would run mod if it went to 4 cell . I dont run it now simply because of the cost verses other classes i.e wear and tear on the car , tire wear , cost of and need to have better cells to be competitive. I can run last years 3300's and stay on the lead lap and or win a race in 19 turn or stock ...... Not going to hapen in mod. Not sure if this is what you were looking for , but if it goes to 4 cell , i'm in....
I hate to break it to you sean but if you run 4 cell mod you will need to brake down and buy really good batteries if you want to make run time. I barely made time with 3700's. with 3300's ? forget about making runtime.With a really good set of 3800's or 4200's you should be able to make runtime. You will need good cells to be competative.

if you want a low budget class talk to Bill F. he is trying to start the bolink class again!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Just trying to make a point with the 3300's there einstein.... I think its a no brainer you would need good cells , one of my points was you would only need to buy 4 cells and those can then be used in 2 cars if you run a 1/12 scale . Thus keeping the cost down. the other was that run time isnt much of a factor in stock or 19 turn. Mod on the other hand is a different story.................Dont you need to go clock your 900mph 1/12 in front of your house or something.... .................................................. ......
Old 12-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i agree that wear and tear is higher in mod racing, but i ran on 2 battery packs for the entire 2006 season, and will now use them for practice in 2007, I bought 2 4200 packs for the 2007 season and will hope to use them all year.
-
from what i have heard 4 cell mod really puts a strain on the packs, but i have not tested that personally
Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 PM
N4S
Tech Master

I have not run it personally but have heard nothing but good things so far.... I am planning to try it out after the snowbirds....... Lets wait for the grand "take out" master of mod............. I mean marcos j to bless us with all his wisdome in the art of 4 cell mod.......... let'r rip marcos
Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

here is my take on 4 cell mod

1:it is alot of fun and the cars handle better than a 6 cell car
2:it needs to be run with a brushless motor because brushed motors suck in 4 cell(they are just not efficient)
3:it is only tough on your packs if you let them dump hard(until the car almost cant move).this would happen in 6 cell too.
4:i ran a novak 4.5 with 3800's and lasted over 5 minutes.with 4200 cells there would be no problems with runtime.

it would be cool to have it as an option class for the state series.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by N4S
Just trying to make a point with the 3300's there einstein.... I think its a no brainer you would need good cells , one of my points was you would only need to buy 4 cells and those can then be used in 2 cars if you run a 1/12 scale . Thus keeping the cost down. the other was that run time isnt much of a factor in stock or 19 turn. Mod on the other hand is a different story.................Dont you need to go clock your 900mph 1/12 in front of your house or something.... .................................................. ......
dont you have a movie to watch
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by N4S
I have not run it personally but have heard nothing but good things so far.... I am planning to try it out after the snowbirds....... Lets wait for the grand "take out" master of mod............. I mean marcos j to bless us with all his wisdome in the art of 4 cell mod.......... let'r rip marcos
well ive been running it for 2 months and the packs do take a toll., I was just saying that its not going to be a budget class. why are worried about it sean, you race what? twice a year? dont you have a tailight out on your house that you need to fix???
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
here is my take on 4 cell mod

1:it is alot of fun and the cars handle better than a 6 cell car
2:it needs to be run with a brushless motor because brushed motors suck in 4 cell(they are just not efficient)
3:it is only tough on your packs if you let them dump hard(until the car almost cant move).this would happen in 6 cell too.
4:i ran a novak 4.5 with 3800's and lasted over 5 minutes.with 4200 cells there would be no problems with runtime.

it would be cool to have it as an option class for the state series.
I'd like to see something similar to what you see in SCCA racing-- where different cars are run in the same class but the under-powered cars can run less weight. 6CM would have to meet a certain weight standard and 4CM you could run it light as you want. I bet at the club level 4C would have no problem using brushless to run equal or faster laps. Great for the 12th racers, too. Rc is becoming too much politics/crying and less fun..I miss my Tamiya Fox
Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Yup , twice a year and can still run circles around you...... no i dont want to borrow your autographed copy of brokeback mountain and my house might not compare to what your wife bought you , but it sure as he(( doesnt have wheels or taillights..........
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with PW on this one. I believe that we should follow ROAR rules. Our series has always been an innovator but at the same time has always conformed to ROAR rules. The guys that run mod in FSEARA are for the most part sponsored at the very least 50% so batteries and motors typically are not an issue and most travel to ROAR sanctioned races. It would be better for those individuals, as far as practice is concerned and set-up, to stick with ROAR rules.

Those who want to run mod with 4 cells, is it because you want to say that you have a Mod motor in your car? This is not a thrash, just curious... I have heard from most everyone that laptimes are comparable to 19 turn. If that is the case why not run 19 turn. I hate to be captain obvious but if you cant run 19 turn 6 cell because of lack of experience or whatever other reason, why run mod 4 or 6 cell?

my .02 centavos
Butter
Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by N4S
Yup , twice a year and can still run circles around you...... no i dont want to borrow your autographed copy of brokeback mountain and my house might not compare to what your wife bought you , but it sure as he(( doesnt have wheels or taillights..........
borrow?? you bought it for me!!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 AM
N4S
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TeamButter
I agree with PW on this one. I believe that we should follow ROAR rules. Our series has always been an innovator but at the same time has always conformed to ROAR rules. The guys that run mod in FSEARA are for the most part sponsored at the very least 50% so batteries and motors typically are not an issue and most travel to ROAR sanctioned races. It would be better for those individuals, as far as practice is concerned and set-up, to stick with ROAR rules.

Those who want to run mod with 4 cells, is it because you want to say that you have a Mod motor in your car? This is not a thrash, just curious... I have heard from most everyone that laptimes are comparable to 19 turn. If that is the case why not run 19 turn. I hate to be captain obvious but if you cant run 19 turn 6 cell because of lack of experience or whatever other reason, why run mod 4 or 6 cell?

my .02 centavos
Butter

So , the options are ..... Hope your good enough for 19 turn and run it , Hope your "great " enough for mod to run it , or if that doesnt do it , go get your sponsors and hang out in stock ???????? A 4-cell mod car would drive and handle nothing like either 6-cell mod nor 19 turn. Just because the same laptime was achieved doesnt mean it wasn't a different race to get there. I think this would be a class that would open the door for mod guys to grow instead of taking guys like paul out durring a race because their not on the same level as a seasoned mod driver. Dont replace 6-cell , add 4 cell and see what the racers sign up for .......Bet you would be suprised.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by N4S
So , the options are ..... Hope your good enough for 19 turn and run it , Hope your "great " enough for mod to run it , or if that doesnt do it , go get your sponsors and hang out in stock ???????? A 4-cell mod car would drive and handle nothing like either 6-cell mod nor 19 turn. Just because the same laptime was achieved doesnt mean it wasn't a different race to get there. I think this would be a class that would open the door for mod guys to grow instead of taking guys like paul out durring a race because their not on the same level as a seasoned mod driver. Dont replace 6-cell , add 4 cell and see what the racers sign up for .......Bet you would be suprised.
Jason at b and b was running a 22 lap pace with 4 cells , and he would qualified 4th in the mod A-main (6 cells) The car will probably be faster if he had more time to work on it (gearing and saet up) or maybe if he would installed a 3.5 insted of a 4.5, sean if you want to borrow one of my brushless motors to race mod let me know! I got a few batteries (3800) that you can use too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.