Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of making a return - Miami-Dade

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Default Thinking of making a return - Miami-Dade

Hello everyone - I’m an old school racer (late 80’s/early 90’s) thinking of returning to the hobby. I’m a veteran of the old 1/10th pan modified class in the FSEARA series from back then, and look back fondly on how popular the class, and how competitive the series was at the time. I’m glad to see that Dave Vera has kept the torch lit all this time. The last time I set foot on a track was at Tropical Park with my Serpent Impulse back around 2000.

Anyway, been seeing a bunch of videos on YouTube, primarily Ryan Harris’ content, and I have to admit that I’ve gotten the itch again... of course, being a family man now, traveling the state to compete in a series is out of the question (at least until my son is old enough - provided he takes interest in the hobby), but I wouldn’t mind club racing as time permits. What is the state of racing down here?

From my own research, it seems that Homestead RC Raceway is the only thing going on down here, and they only run Nitro. Nitro might be an option for me, but I wouldn’t mind running some electric on and off road as well. Are the Mills Pond and Coral Springs tracks in Broward the only ones offering off road racing down here? Is Coral Springs the only track running electric on-road?

Any referrals to good hobby shops down here in SW Dade (or Broward area) would also be appreciated - I’d hate buying online when I can support a local shop. Thanks again and forgive the rambling - also, if you read this far and remember Julio Chacon from the old days of FSEARA, be sure to say Hi! And if 1/10th pan ever makes a comeback, My RC10L is still on standby!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

On Road...

Coral Springs has a permanent On Road Track
There will be a club race on July 21st.... Practice is on Saturdays.. Definitely PM me for more info here...……….. FYI.. They (We.... I am a volunteer) are hosting the Roar Regionals in August...……………

The Village RC Raceway...………… They almost always race the first Sunday of the month. Traction is great...…

Off Road
Coral Springs has many club races and big events.. Check CoralSpringsrctrack.com

Mills Pond has many big races and some club races... Both tracks are great!!!!!!! Mills Pond is on Facebook

I ran Off Road for many years and still do a bit, but I have been concentrating on On Road...……… I find it much easier to race On Road... I do not have to tear my car down all of the time.... unlike Off Road (so much dirt)… To each is own...….

Vera is my "Boy"...……… Love the guy...………. He has resurrected the FSEARA series...………. just texted him and he says Hello...………………

I can help you make decisions with all of the gear...……...motors have changed, batteries, ESC's …………….. FYI XRays are still top of the line...…….. I can get you in touch with Guru Vera as well for more info...……. PM me for that type of private info....

Feel free to ask more questions...……….. We have a great bunch of guys...……………..

I started racing in Kendall and Tropical Park in the 90's and still have my 10L. I loved that car...………..
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply and the info!

Yeah, I’ve been doing my research - enough to know that I’d pretty much be starting over. Even though they are in pristine condition, I seriously doubt I’d get far in my Impulse or TC3 as soon as something happens to either. Let’s not even talk about my radio... On the other hand, the advances in tech are nothing short of miraculous.

Anyway, all that in due time - I’ll definitely have to plan on dropping by the track to catch the regional - as long as it isn’t on the same weekend as my anniversary, lol. I know what you mean about the off-road, but it still seems fun - I had an RC10 that I probably raced about a half dozen times up in Jensen Beach when I visited relatives up there in PSL.

good to hear from someone who also raced in Kendall. It’s because of those great memories along with those racing FSEARA that have kept me interested in coming back.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There was a guy who won many races with a transmitter that had an antenna a few months back. A friend of mine and I beat him about a year ago, but when he came back from Europe about 6 months later he whooped us...………… He ran an old Losi car... over ten years old...….. My friend and I are above average... to quite good depending on the day...…. My advice is to get yourself a used XRAY T4 that is in good condition. I would buy a 2016 or 2017 as parts are readily available....The roller will be about 200..... I can lend you a motor to get you going...……….ESC's... do not make that much of a difference, unless you are running mod...……….I like Hobbywing…. I have plenty of batteries and can lend you one...……….. I can also give you some used tires...……….. For now they will be just fine...…… the rubber tires (Solaris) work really well and last a very long time...…….. After you scrape the rust off we can talk more about how to gain the extra tenths...……….. well, off to bed...……….
Old 06-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you are interested in a pan car class, Formula one is the only consistent class on asphalt. There are many options for chassis and the we can use the same set of rubber tires for an entire season. Both village and Coral springs has a consistent and good showing. The cars are relatively easy to setup and run. Xray, associated, and many other manufactures have a car.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Old 07-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the information/help guys. It’s nice to see that people are just as helpful today as they were back in the day. I’d expect nothing less from an awesome FL racing community.

Well, let me get situated - I’ll probably be looking to sell my old equipment (I’m sure someone will appreciate it) as I modernize quite a bit - I have to admit, it will be a bit of a trek either way, but if past racing experiences are any indication, it’s worth It. I look forward to seeing the Regional, even if it’s just as a spectator.