R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Suspended

Default Himoto rc car from ebay, what should i do?

Hello, my name is Tyler and I'm new to the forum. I just want to ask you guys what you think I should do. First off let me say that im 14 and I dont know a whole lot about rc cars, but I do know a fair amount. I also am an expert solderer and I work well with electronics. I recently perchased this rc car off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HIMOTO-RC-R-C-1-...QQcmdZViewItem
I did a few upgrades myself and added a skid plate I made myself as well as a a new speed control:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMN7&P=7
I also added some leds... hehehe I kinda overloaded and added 22.
I also bought some new batts and a new charger, I got 2, 3300 mAh nimh batts with a universal smart charger off ebay, which brings me to my next point... idk mabey someone can answer it. The charge time for the batts is liek 1 hour but the light says its done after like 45 seconds, but of course it is not fully charged. But if I unplug and plug back in the batts every 45 seconds every so often it gets sorta full. But to my main point, what should I do next? I'm not a big spender because I only am 14 and dont have a job but I do have a few bucks laying around the house. I was thinking like a 20 turn motor, because thats all the speed control will support, but idk im not an expert... what do you guys think? thanks for your time.
the #1 noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

First off, welcome to the hobby and the forum. If you read up here a little bit, you will find amazing things, and learn quite a bit. From the looks of it, you probably aren't racing yet, but you sound like a person who wants to develope and eventually start racing in the somewhat near future. The first question I have for you is what is your budget for your motor? Are you the kind of person interested more in long term or short term gains? The reason I ask this question is because you have for the most part half-way decent equipment, but as you try to squeeze more and more performance out of your car and equipment, you will find some things are not up to snuff. I'll seperate my assistance into two categories. Long term gains, and short term gains.
Long term-
Ditch the charger, ditch the speed control. While they may be adequate now, The moment you throw your car on the track, you will find they may fall short of your expectations. I say this because you mentioned you have a "smart universal charger." The last charger I had that was called "smart" was the Duratrax Intellipeak. While it was good for charging my batteries to run my car up and down the street, it couldn't cut it for the track, because it really wasn't "smart." To replace the charger, I'd recommend a Novak Millenium/Millenium Pro or a Competion Electronics Pitbull (preferably). You can find great condition, used stuff on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this site for arguably good prices. While you may have to mow your lawn a few extra times (as I have done, and will be doing soon when mowing season comes), the payoff will be big. Your batteries will get fuller, better charges, basically making your car faster. Bear in mind, however, that there are other great chargers out there for the relatively same price, and hopefully someone else will chime in with another suggestion.
On the speed control, it's basically the same situation as the charger. While it may be fine now, it may fail in the (near, possibly) future. As a temporary solution, and since you said you were proficient with a soldering iron, cut the plugs and solder the ESC directly to the motor. You get a much better connection, which is why all the High-End ESC's have direct solder connections. As a replacement, I recommend the LRP V7.1. It's high quality, it won't fail, it will provide better punch than the current ESC, and you have no motor limit.
Short term suggestions:
Keep the charger, keep the speed control, and charge your batteries until they get warm. That's when they are reaching their full capacity. Buy a motor from a reputable manufacturer. I don't know how a tuned stock (27 turn) motor will perform against a generic 20-turn, but if you want a good stock motor, try the Monster Stock motors, or the PK2K motors. ALso, DC motorsports, Lightspeed, and Team Brood are all well known, well respected companies. You really can't go wrong with a certain stock motor. As for the 20 turns, the best budget 20 turn I can think of is the Speed Gems motors. I've been told that for the price, their performance can't be beat. There's a cliche that's been said on here a few times, and it's that "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" Hopefully that answered all your questions, and if you have anymore, ask away (as long as you can't find anything by using the "Search" feature. ).
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What was your question???

As far as being a "fun" car...you should have a good time. However know that you will never get the "real" Pro RC experience with that car due to lack of parts support and it's beginner-oriented nature.

However once you've had some fun with that car, please come to us for advice, as we can help steer you in a better direction.

Welcome to the sickness!!!

-Sean

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The car looks like a Yokomo MR4TC SD or HPI 4 PRO but the main question is: how about spares? If there aren't any available or it is difficult to get you might disappointend and stop with the hobby. On the other hand it is a good practice car to learn to drive. Have fun and welcome to the world where we throw away our money and have fights with our wifes because they say we spent to much money
Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Suspended

hmmmmmmmmmmmf. Well I guess I have a bigger decision, or decisions to make than I had thought. I think for now I'm gonna stick with the short term goals, get a new stock motor as josh sugested, from one of those manufacturers "which by the way thanks hella lot for telling me all that!" and I'll race that car till it dies or blows up or something cool like that. I'll go and work at the mcdonalds like all the other kids my age and I'll make minimum wage and I'll save up some money to go on a shoping spree. So thanks for the help guys, but I might not be back till the spring, when I will need the real help in finding a good car!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In the future, you may want to check out your local hobby shop or track as well. Ebay is great if you know what you're looking for or looking at...but it can be dangerous unless you know your stuff.

Dealing with your local shop or track might cost you a couple dollars more than Ebay, but the advice given and the help when you need it is worth much much more.

Good luck.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to hurley081182 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley081182

heck when you buy your next rc get it off here. sometimes you cant beat the prices that some people sell it for.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think if look around on the for sale threads here you can find some great deal, just don't be in a hurry, be patient and you can find some good deals. Buying last years equipment is a good way to save some cash, like look at getting a Novak GT7 or Novak Cyclone II, or a LRP V7.1 ( as mentioned )or LRP Quontam Pro. TeamEAMotorsports.com is also a great place to find motors and batteries, I know that Eric has some Monsters in stock now. But you can't go wrong with the ones mentioned above either.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
Suspended

Could someone please tell me what capacitors do? It said for my speed control I needed .01uf or .1uf I cant remember, but I needed like .1uf capacitors. Well I bought the capicitors and soldered them on and I just went in my garage and did a few powerslides and after about 8 or so minutes I picked up my car and noticed that the motor was incredibly hot? mabey it's the new speed control? or the capacitors? I really have no clue. I made a quick docking station for it with some pvc and a computer fan and I think I like it quite nice It's sitting on there cooling off right now. Lemme know what you guys think, and from now on please dont flame me if i dont use caps cuz its so much extra work for me to use proper english. lol thanx agian guys!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Tech Addict

A power capacitor filters out all of the ripple on the input voltage. This ripple is due to the high frequency operation of the speed control. If you don't use the power capacitor on high-frequency ESCs you run the risk of causing internal damage to your speed control. Using the capacitor will result in an approximately 10 percent increase in the RPM of your motor at partial throttle. It will also decrease the operating temperature of the ESC by 10-15 degrees, making the ESC more efficient.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
Suspended

thus the name... the #1 noob: huh?

alrighty so can you explain that the way you would to a 3 year old, but to me? thanks... you guys rock
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Talking

Sorry about that, what I was trying to say was the capacitor make your car go vrom vrom faster(lol sorry). Also helps cut the noise down alittle for your receiver.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
Suspended

now that i understand! but then why did my motor get so got this time and not when i had my old speed control??
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

I recently saw one of those at a local track by me. I would recommend you skip this car, it is not worth your time, money or frustration.
Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Suspended

lmfao it was prolly me you saw there, in keno right? what a small world