R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2002, 12:02 AM   #16
Tech Elite

A PC power supply (=PS) are the switch mode style (no transformer). They are "intelligent", that is, there's some kind of a logic circuit inside. So the more current you draw, the more the PS produce! But it is invented for computers, where 5 volt are the most important voltage. So they are sensing the current draw on the 5 volt side.

Now, we need 12 volt. So the more current draw on the 5 volt, the more you get on the 12 volt side.

There are many producers of those PC PS's, so they differ some. Furthermore, the newer they are, the more advanced they get.

I didnt find the link to the "how-to" guide last nigth, so I wrote to the author. Hopefully, he'll respond soon. By the way, it's "Pinky" from the HPI forum.

Pit Crew: You just have to use a harder load on the 5 volt. Ensure there are proper cooling. In my own PC PS, I got around 1,5 ohm. I'm using 4 resistors in parllel. Each are 6,? ohm. Each are 10 w, so the total wat are 40.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Default Way OFF Topic

MAN, did you guys get WAY off topic.

One thing that nobody mentioned was the most important. Is just to go out and have fun. Whether Bashing or Racing we all do it for fun.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:51 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Way Off?See this

Well guys bashing around or not.....I was convinced(by myself) to get a PRO3 (low spec).what the hell was i thinking?now i'm assembling it.I have the japanese kit and MAN it's difficult to find the right screws.......... I have a question though.
when i was assembling the differentials..one of the steps were to put a washer+spring+washer INTO the diffs.but after that it's sealed at the only open ends>now when i shake the differentials the washer come out of the tiny opening.i also realised that they perform no function at all.what is it for?did i do it right?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:45 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Computer power supply, how-to guide: http://www.magicookie.com/prodigy/psupply.htm
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 06:12 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Default thanks cole

thanks cole.this is a project for the holidays.right now i just open up my car hood and plug it into the lead acid batteries!!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:32 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Pro-3 diff washers

lee82gx;

I believe the washers that you are talking about go on either side of the tension spring. The only problem I see from leaving them out is they provide some extra spacing for the adusting screw and you may run out of threads on the screw as the springs takes a set and you need to tighten the diff up later.
OR the head of the screw may be able to pull through the spring without the washers. One way or another, I guess you will find out when you start running the car.
Note: Ball diffs DO NOT like any kind of dirt or dust.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:43 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Default DONE!!

thats it !car's fixed yesterday...got the diffs properly assembled....
but plugged in the elecs. and ...nothing happens.ESC couldnt set up , no throttle no steering.turns out my radio was faulty.BAD BAD futaba.faulty new radio systems?luckily it was replaced today and my car is running!!!!just painted the car body( HPI toyota MR-S , i dont recommend this body cos the decals are not pre-cut i had to use knifes and scissors.took my 2 hours to do that .tomorrow maybe next friday i'll go to the local track and have a blast!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 01:24 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Faulty Futaba

lee82gx;

You mean to sat that you bought a BRAND NEW Futaba radio system and it was Bad?
Usually all the Hobby Stores that I shop at put batteries in the Radio systems and make SURE that it works right before it leaves the store. Lucky that they exchanged it for you. Out here, once it's out the door, any problems MUST be taken care of by maufacturers warranty.

Have fun with your car.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:57 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Default Yup Yup

Well the brand new futaba wasn't tested.so they have an obligation to exchange it.PLUS we chinese have a strange (unspoken)agreement that many things can be exchanged as long as it's not the buyer's fault(sometimes even if the buyer's at fault , too).
Now having quite a lot of fun.
Another question though , my friend bought a used Pro3 everytime it turns left , the left CVD just pops out.how to fix it?