R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman
Much, Much hotter.
mine went up in smoke after 2 minutes at a whopping 34 degrees C, just hoping to get a new one now.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #32
Tech Regular

To use it in World Championship, it must be submited before a deadline(forgot the date). You can't just show up with some sercret phototype(motor & battery) and runs it. I think the brushed motor will do just fine this Worlds, well at least this time. Could be the last time.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
On the other hand Touring cars are too fast now and something need to be done to control the speeds.
i fully agree with you man. E.P. touring cars are even faster than gas touring cars now. they are much less expensive (in the long run) than gas cars, and they are cleaner. the lowest turn motor i would ever go to would be 10 turn, and that's if i really have some tough competition. i prefer to run 12 turn, because that is the fastest motor that i can lay down the best lap times with. anything lower than that, i find myself making stupid errors because i have too much speed.

so, if i want a 12 turn equivalent in a brushless motor, i shoud get the Novak 6.5 system, right?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"On the other hand Touring cars are too fast now and something need to be done to control the speeds. "

"i fully agree with you man. E.P. touring cars are even faster than gas touring cars now. they are much less expensive (in the long run) than gas cars, and they are cleaner. the lowest turn motor i would ever go to would be 10 turn, and that's if i really have some tough competition. i prefer to run 12 turn, because that is the fastest motor that i can lay down the best lap times with. anything lower than that, i find myself making stupid errors because i have too much speed.

so, if i want a 12 turn equivalent in a brushless motor, i shoud get the Novak 6.5 system, right?"

You guys are hillarious. Electric finally gets the speed we've all been after, and you wanna slow down? That's what stock and 19T are for, so you can go as slow as you want. There's yet another option for you two, don't squeaze the throttle so hard!

And an answer to your Q, yes, the consensus is that the 6.5 is around a 10 or 12 turn brushed.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
"
so, if i want a 12 turn equivalent in a brushless motor, i shoud get the Novak 6.5 system, right?"

You guys are hillarious. Electric finally gets the speed we've all been after, and you wanna slow down? That's what stock and 19T are for, so you can go as slow as you want. There's yet another option for you two, don't squeaze the throttle so hard!

And an answer to your Q, yes, the consensus is that the 6.5 is around a 10 or 12 turn brushed.

If you go to the next big TC race and watch the top drivers you will see that the speeds are unreal, at least in my opinion. Just imagine what the speeds will be in the near future when the manufacturers get more knowledge about brushless motors. And even more important the never ending battery improvements will result in more capacity and better voltage.
The speeds are maybe suitable for big 250 m outsdoor tracks but not on small carpet tracks.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
i guess you're right. all i am saying is that, will there ever be a motor that i just plain too fast for the factory drivers?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought there already were!

Some of the hacker and lehner(not sure abt the spelling) are unreal. Crazy fast. These systems aren't roar approved but they've been around for a while.

My GTB is fast, but like anything else i got used to it.
Though i do remember, when i first put it in the car and squeezed the throttle, i nearly wet myself laughing. It put a BIG grin on my face for sure.

Can't wait for the 4.5

All things said, speed is relative. On the drivers stand, even the hot motors don't feel so fast after a while. Trackside, they look insane. I quite like the idea of brushless. It's one less thing to worry about. The top races now are usually completely dominated by one or two drivers(not saying this won't change - this is some sort of behaivioural pattern no?) but the local racing is so variable based on motor tuning ability and sometimes $$.

It;s the same reason why silver can racing is so popular. Yes, there are tweaks but it's nice to be able to chuck one in and go.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman
If you go to the next big TC race and watch the top drivers you will see that the speeds are unreal, at least in my opinion.
but that's exactly why they're awesome to watch!
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #39
Tech Elite

that is, if you live on the West coast!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478
Default Brushless

The future for brushless will soon dominate the speed of brushed.

Not having to service your motor as often will allow you for more practice time.

most people will try the switch to brushless and really like it.

The Novak and LRP systems have really come a long way in brushless, they are becoming more and more drivable.

The hacker system is very very fast but drivability is kind of low.
for your questions on comparing brushed to brushless I have used the hacker system and our 6-7 turn is very fast.

C40 6T compared to a 6-7 brushed
C40 7T compared to a 7-8 brushed

Thanks,

Kyle Bergstrom
Hacker Brushless USA (Repairs)
kyle478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle478
The hacker system is very very fast but drivability is kind of low.
Why is that...? I have heard about this HACKER things but they are kinda difficult to find (purchase) at LHS or online....and I have also heard about Hacker does have a 2T system? Or that is a rumor...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

brushless is just for lazy bugger's also i think tuning motor's is part of the fun when it comes to r/c i personally hope that brushed horsepower will be around for years to come. + nothing beats the sweet sound of brused motor singing down a straight
flysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"If you go to the next big TC race and watch the top drivers you will see that the speeds are unreal, at least in my opinion. Just imagine what the speeds will be in the near future when the manufacturers get more knowledge about brushless motors. And even more important the never ending battery improvements will result in more capacity and better voltage.
The speeds are maybe suitable for big 250 m outsdoor tracks but not on small carpet tracks."

Well, first of all, being a club level racer, I'm just not really worried about the big races, those rules don't apply to me. The speed is nothing new to me either, just in this particular car. I ran in nitro touring a year and a half before I started running electric, and I have an 8th scale on-road too(that is FAST). So the speed doesn't bother me. It's also the consistancy I was after with a brushless system. My chameleons worked pretty well, needed regular maintainance to be competitive, and even then, I didn't always get my "magic" right. Sometimes my hottest motor of the day wouldn't hang with the slowest in our top 3. This way, I can focus on driving the car. I'm also planing on getting the Orion Li-Po as well, to further the consistancy of the car.

"i guess you're right. all i am saying is that, will there ever be a motor that i just plain too fast for the factory drivers?"

No Freakin Way! Atsushi can drive ANYTHING!!!

"brushless is just for lazy bugger's also i think tuning motor's is part of the fun when it comes to r/c i personally hope that brushed horsepower will be around for years to come. + nothing beats the sweet sound of brused motor singing down a straight "

I agree, and if you want to spend that much time on your equipment, cool, power to you man! I'll chill out and have pizza while you cut comms...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote