Xray T4 18

You're on Page 5 of 37
Go to
  • Quote: Making a shorter shock is far less expensive than making a different arm

    The Gizmo has "gullwing geometry". Much like the Schuei, this allow to run a slightly longer shock and still have them sit lower on the car. Our car with longer shocks than the XRAY (2mm total longer), the shocks sit 2-3mm lower than on the T4 for example. With Short shocks, the difference is about 5mm. I personally think there is a benefit to the higher volume shock on asphalt though, and find myself using the original longer shocks more and more as they give a slight bit more steering.

    I have not been able to identify the reason much, but I am starting to think it is the extra volume. I have played around with yokomo shock caps, which fit the xray shocks and make the shocks 2mm shorter to try to see if it is the geometry that makes a difference. What I have observed is that by using yokomo caps and the longer shocks, while essentially having the same length shock, the feel is still not the same. The longer shock gives more mid corner steering and overall a more responsive feel. The CG difference is negligible at best because by making it 2mm shorter, I can run the same towers.

    On Carpet the effect is typically the same, however the shorter shocks mellow out the car and make it easier to drive hard, which I think translates into better laptimes.

    I think we are getting to the point where cars have to be built slightly different for asphalt than carpet to maximize performance. We already are partly there, by running alloy vs carbon, shocks should be on that list if you ask me...
    BOOM BOOM BOOM. Agreed!
  • Quote: Making a shorter shock is far less expensive than making a different arm

    The Gizmo has "gullwing geometry". Much like the Schuei, this allow to run a slightly longer shock and still have them sit lower on the car. Our car with longer shocks than the XRAY (2mm total longer), the shocks sit 2-3mm lower than on the T4 for example. With Short shocks, the difference is about 5mm. I personally think there is a benefit to the higher volume shock on asphalt though, and find myself using the original longer shocks more and more as they give a slight bit more steering.

    I have not been able to identify the reason much, but I am starting to think it is the extra volume. I have played around with yokomo shock caps, which fit the xray shocks and make the shocks 2mm shorter to try to see if it is the geometry that makes a difference. What I have observed is that by using yokomo caps and the longer shocks, while essentially having the same length shock, the feel is still not the same. The longer shock gives more mid corner steering and overall a more responsive feel. The CG difference is negligible at best because by making it 2mm shorter, I can run the same towers.

    On Carpet the effect is typically the same, however the shorter shocks mellow out the car and make it easier to drive hard, which I think translates into better laptimes.

    I think we are getting to the point where cars have to be built slightly different for asphalt than carpet to maximize performance. We already are partly there, by running alloy vs carbon, shocks should be on that list if you ask me...
    Perhaps, we will what happens with Schumacher's next car. They can manufacture in house one off parts for suspension for testing, not sure about the shocks, they used to do everything a long time ago. I do agree about the two cars though it's been heading that way for a while. This car will be a beast on carpet I am sure, and at least match the Awesomatix if not better it
  • HURRY UP ALREADY!!!!!!!! All these little spy shots is driving me bonkers man
  • Quote: Making a shorter shock is far less expensive than making a different arm

    The Gizmo has "gullwing geometry". Much like the Schuei, this allow to run a slightly longer shock and still have them sit lower on the car. Our car with longer shocks than the XRAY (2mm total longer), the shocks sit 2-3mm lower than on the T4 for example. With Short shocks, the difference is about 5mm. I personally think there is a benefit to the higher volume shock on asphalt though, and find myself using the original longer shocks more and more as they give a slight bit more steering.

    I have not been able to identify the reason much, but I am starting to think it is the extra volume. I have played around with yokomo shock caps, which fit the xray shocks and make the shocks 2mm shorter to try to see if it is the geometry that makes a difference. What I have observed is that by using yokomo caps and the longer shocks, while essentially having the same length shock, the feel is still not the same. The longer shock gives more mid corner steering and overall a more responsive feel. The CG difference is negligible at best because by making it 2mm shorter, I can run the same towers.

    On Carpet the effect is typically the same, however the shorter shocks mellow out the car and make it easier to drive hard, which I think translates into better laptimes.

    I think we are getting to the point where cars have to be built slightly different for asphalt than carpet to maximize performance. We already are partly there, by running alloy vs carbon, shocks should be on that list if you ask me...
    If we're lucky we will be able to simply use the T4'17 towers, then '17 shocks
    will fit with no mods.

    If they are bigger bore, how long until RSD bring out some machined nylon pistons?
  • Quote: Making a shorter shock is far less expensive than making a different arm

    The Gizmo has "gullwing geometry". Much like the Schuei, this allow to run a slightly longer shock and still have them sit lower on the car. Our car with longer shocks than the XRAY (2mm total longer), the shocks sit 2-3mm lower than on the T4 for example. With Short shocks, the difference is about 5mm. I personally think there is a benefit to the higher volume shock on asphalt though, and find myself using the original longer shocks more and more as they give a slight bit more steering.

    I have not been able to identify the reason much, but I am starting to think it is the extra volume. I have played around with yokomo shock caps, which fit the xray shocks and make the shocks 2mm shorter to try to see if it is the geometry that makes a difference. What I have observed is that by using yokomo caps and the longer shocks, while essentially having the same length shock, the feel is still not the same. The longer shock gives more mid corner steering and overall a more responsive feel. The CG difference is negligible at best because by making it 2mm shorter, I can run the same towers.

    On Carpet the effect is typically the same, however the shorter shocks mellow out the car and make it easier to drive hard, which I think translates into better laptimes.

    I think we are getting to the point where cars have to be built slightly different for asphalt than carpet to maximize performance. We already are partly there, by running alloy vs carbon, shocks should be on that list if you ask me...
    Are your Gizmo shocks the same bore as the T4 shocks? Are they off the NT1'13 (big bore, slightly longer than a T4 shock), or NT1'14+ (small bore, long like a T3 shock)?

    It would be interesting to try a big-bore longer shock. The new Mugen has shocks that have 1.5mm more travel than the Xray ones, so it'll be interesting to see how they get on. First BRCA this weekend since the Mugen was released.
  • Quote: That wasn't the reason the team drivers were adding the shims, at least, not the ones I've spoken to.
    It's what Jan told me a month or so ago. And when I took them out and looked, he was right.
  • Graphite or alu flex
    Which is better graphite or alu flex chassis? Track is flat concrete painted with high grip surface about 10 sec. a lap.
  • Here it is: https://teamxray.com/t4/2018/
  • Surprisingly not much has changed. I guess the car has matured enough that we will see small incremental changes. Still looks good.
  • I don't think I'll be bothering with the 18. I'll stick with my longer shock 17 and 1mm further out motor.
  • Quote: I don't think I'll be bothering with the 18. I'll stick with my longer shock 17 and 1mm further out motor.
    If you didn't already have the '17, and were shopping for a T4, would you pick up the '17 or '18?
  • Quote: Surprisingly not much has changed. I guess the car has matured enough that we will see small incremental changes. Still looks good.
    Significant changes has occurred that will certainly change the handling characteristics. The biggest change is the lower center gravity with the shocks and towers. The improved centerline flex is going to be a big improvement in stock racing for sure.

    In stock racing if you don't have a T4'18 or an Awesomatix your packing it up. Not sure if this will help in mod? I'll know soon as I get my hands on one as I have the T4'14. I'm certainly getting one
  • Funny, the shocks are the last thing I thought they would change.
  • Umm, still no inboard battery stop - WTF?

Similar Threads