R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2002, 12:31 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to -CriMinaL- |RC Send a message via Yahoo to -CriMinaL- |RC
Default Battery maintainence

Hey what do you guys do with your batteries after you've raced and stored them for next race... eg. if next race is in 2 weeks and you wont be running between now and then... discharge and cycle once a week??
-CriMinaL- |RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:22 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Well it all depends.
FOR Ni-Cad: I will discharge it and put it to sleep in an Orion discharger tray until about 4 days before the race that I take it out and does the cycling again.
FOR Ni-MH: I will discharge it and charge it back up for abt 15 min with 5A going thru it as if you dun do that, the battery will go reverse voltage and it can be spoilt
RetroTamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Default Battery tray discharging

I tried the battery tray thing with my 2400's but they want to false peak several times when charging and seem to have less punch after leaving them in the tray for several days.
Now I just leave them in long enough for each bulb to go out and then I unscrew each terminal as it does.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Well, I do not have any problem with any of my Ni Cads. But what I found out was there is more punch but a little bit less run time. Thats abt it.
RetroTamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery maintainence

Quote:
Originally posted by -CriMinaL- |RC
Hey what do you guys do with your batteries after you've raced and stored them for next race... eg. if next race is in 2 weeks and you wont be running between now and then... discharge and cycle once a week??
anyone wanna add to this old thread?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
GRF
Tech Adept

Default Re: Battery maintainence

Quote:
Originally posted by -CriMinaL- |RC
In my case, I just leave about 10 minutes worth of charge and leave them until the night before the race. I then discharge them and put them in a tray. And I'm ready to race...
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

All my GP3300 packs are dumped to zero volts on the tray for at least an hour each before storage.

For some reason, GP3300s like to be treated like Nicds. I have had old packs that charge to 2700+ only reach 3400 again after just overnight on the zero v tray. Even my newer packs that peak at 3300-3400 go right back to 3800+ after a night on the tray.

Please dont confuse this with dead shorting. To dead short you have to short both ends of the pack after it reaches zero. I just simply leave the packs at zero.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote