Like Tree6Likes

XRay X10'18

Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

They now fixed their website, with the full specs, manual, and so on.

I just looked quickly, and I was surprised to find that the pivot brace is indeed a brand new part! Looks a bit similar to the one on the X12'17 (which I run as an upgrade on my X10'16), but has a new part number? I'd expect the X12'18 will use the same, but I'm curious to compare the parts...
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can any anyone offer any advice for setup on asphalt?

I can only find for carpet only
Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nnick View Post
Can any anyone offer any advice for setup on asphalt?

I can only find for carpet only
thicker oil in side tube, harder side spring, thicker tire.
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

New aluminium flex chassis and lower pod plate for the XRay X10'18:

Red RC: Xray X10'18 aluminium flex chassis

Old 10-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

I've been building mine, and a few things I've noticed...

First off, finally, it seems like XRAY might have sorted the slop in their front ends! The steering blocks were so tight, I had to ream them a bit to get them on the kingpins, and while there's a little bit of slop left, it seems to come from the upper pivot pin, which could be shimmed out. A number of the plastic parts are now the "hard" version, which used to be option parts.

The rear pod bulkheads are the same as the X12, but they include longer screws and thicker shims, so I think this should work fine for slightly bigger foam tires, but rubber WGT-R tires will require more than that. I like the new carbon pod bulkhead brace, replacing the aluminium tube.

The manual has a few mistakes with some parts not being updated (they show the old rear brace in a few of the diagrams), but nothing serious.

I was surprised by the change of the servo mounts: it now includes the longer ones used for touring cars servo, rather than the smaller ones used for 12th scale servo. I could still fit it fine by using only one set of holes.

They still have the little plastic insert that the centre shock ball screws into, but now only on the side of the pod. On the other end, the plate has multiple mounting points for the shock, and the shock extension is included (used to be an option part, for cars that could use it), so that's cool.

The new pivot brace looks nice, and easier to get aligned properly. It's also made of harder material, it seems.

I'm starting it out in the outer holes, but the alternative inner holes for the pod links on the chassis look like an interesting tuning option.

Overall, where I was previously on the lookout for a car brand to replace XRAY with (especially for the 10th scale cars), this one finally feels like a good, solid car, and shouldn't need too much messing around (like how I replaced many parts in the front ends of my X10'16 with Xenon parts). I'm not going to say that they're putting a lot of effort into this car now (note the manual mistakes), but it feels like they actually put some effort, and it's getting some attention (like the aluminium chassis option coming out early for it).
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the update on this kit eh... so does the entire Xenon front end fit on the chassis?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
Thanks for the update on this kit eh... so does the entire Xenon front end fit on the chassis?
I've been told that the spacing of the holes is wrong, so no.

What I've done on my X10'16 is get the Xenon pivot balls, kingpins, steering blocks, and springs, and fit them into the XRAY parts.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

I ended up needing 7mm spacers in the Back and 5mm spacers in the front. This allows 5mm ride height with GT-R tires.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Shop Owner

What starting tire size do you use for asphalt?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

What starting tire size do you use for asphalt?
A friend of mine runs 60mm rear, 59mm front on asphalt, but he's run bigger too (up to 63mm rear). If I remember correctly, he runs something like 25sh rear, 20sh front?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:03 AM
Shop Owner

That high?!? What is the ride height with that tire diameter?

I run last time 59mm and I had to put 6mm washers to rear pod in order to have a ride height of 4.5-4.8

We sort of run handout Contact 38 front rear
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

That high?!? What is the ride height with that tire diameter?

I run last time 59mm and I had to put 6mm washers to rear pod in order to have a ride height of 4.5-4.8

We sort of run handout Contact 38 front rear
For asphalt, he runs 6mm ride height, in large part to avoid damaging the chassis too much. It's a bit better with this new pod, but the X10 series is kind of ridiculous for getting a decently low ride height with big tires...

He did some testing with lilac stripe control tires (which are something like 37sh or 38sh), he said that when the track is cold and the grip is low, it's not enough grip, but it should work okay on when the grip is higher, like on a warm day (we're in the UK, so that might happen more often for you!).

Also, he runs 6.5T blinky 2S, if you run with a bit less power, might be just fine with the Contact 38?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:43 AM
Shop Owner

Yes the contact we run has that lilac stripe and they are 38. We run 10.5 open esc on a huge track.

I have run it only once and didn't have as much as steering I wanted. I did some changes on that race day which make it better still not as I wanted it.

XRAY ::: Set-up Sheet - X10'18

For this Sunday I have made some more changes
(not everything is filled as I haven't decided yet tire diameter/height)

Either it will be perfect or crap
Old 11-27-2017, 02:02 AM
Shop Owner

Car was much better this time. Almost perfect. Issues with servo/servo saver cost me bad qualification (5th ) and 3rd on A1. Won A2 following good strategy and keeping close distance on first and on the last 2 laps I attacked and overtake him. A3 was another story as I had to battle for the race with one guy (starting first and had already 1-2 finishes) and fighting with another for the championship (starting from second and had 2-3 finshes).
TQ drive was cruising ahead and me after I managed to reach second position I was making some silly errors which gave the opportunity to third position driver to be close and me instead of focusing on attacking I was defending and finally finished second at the run and also overall second.

With only 7 batteries (in two race days) of which the 3 (2 this race day) were trouble free I'm very happy with the car

setup of the day
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Some news from Fenix:

A conversion kit for the Xray X10-2018 and X10-2016, from 200mm to 235

Plus a chassis brace set, for both cars
pphaneuf likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service