Search
Like Tree9Likes

Getting Started with On-Road and USGT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Getting Started with On-Road and USGT

I'm looking to dip my toe into the on-road RC racing world, probably in the form of a USGT on-road car. I recently got back into the RC hobby with a Slash (which I've recently sold) and a Tekno 1/8 e-buggy. Really enjoying the e-buggy, but there have been several times where it would have been nice to have something to run indoors or on pavement. There's a decent case to be made for a 1/10 e-buggy, but I'm looking to mix it up a bit.

I had a chat with a guy in one of the local hobby shops and he recommended the TC4 race roller as a good place to start. I'd like to keep the chassis/kit under $200 or thereabouts since this is just a casual interest at the moment. Is the TC4 the best route to get started in this price point? Are there other options I should be considering?

If I had to pull the trigger on something today, this is what I've currently got in mind:
  • TC4 Club Racer Race Roller
  • Hobbywing XERUN Justock Zero Spec ESC/Motor Combo (21.5T)
  • Savox SC-1257TG

Biggest complete unknown for me is batteries. I'm a big fan of SMC for my off-road stuff, so would like to use them here too if possible. It's unclear to me what physical size battery I should be looking at and I can't seem to find dimensions for the TC4 battery tray.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/guidance for someone looking to get started in the on-road side of things! Thanks!
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stiggosaurus
I'm looking to dip my toe into the on-road RC racing world, probably in the form of a USGT on-road car. I recently got back into the RC hobby with a Slash (which I've recently sold) and a Tekno 1/8 e-buggy. Really enjoying the e-buggy, but there have been several times where it would have been nice to have something to run indoors or on pavement. There's a decent case to be made for a 1/10 e-buggy, but I'm looking to mix it up a bit.

I had a chat with a guy in one of the local hobby shops and he recommended the TC4 race roller as a good place to start. I'd like to keep the chassis/kit under $200 or thereabouts since this is just a casual interest at the moment. Is the TC4 the best route to get started in this price point? Are there other options I should be considering?

If I had to pull the trigger on something today, this is what I've currently got in mind:
  • TC4 Club Racer Race Roller
  • Hobbywing XERUN Justock Zero Spec ESC/Motor Combo (21.5T)
  • Savox SC-1257TG

Biggest complete unknown for me is batteries. I'm a big fan of SMC for my off-road stuff, so would like to use them here too if possible. It's unclear to me what physical size battery I should be looking at and I can't seem to find dimensions for the TC4 battery tray.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/guidance for someone looking to get started in the on-road side of things! Thanks!
Stig,

We race USGT at Easley RC Raceway, at the Hobby Connection in Easley. The on-road races are held every other Saturday on the outdoor track. Next race is July 15th. You might consider USVTA, since that is the biggest class and the TC4 is very competitive in that class. (I've won a bunch of A-mains with my TC4's).

There is also a group of us that race at Bush River Raceway in Columbia, SC that have USGT cars.

I have been racing a TC4 in USVTA (and some USGT) for the last 4 years, so if I can help out let me know. The TC4 USVTA is a loaner car, I provide the car/radio/transponder to new racers who want to try out on-road and USVTA. No charge for the rental, you just pay for any broken parts. If you're interested, get in touch with me.

Mark
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just started running USGT this summer. I'm using a BSR BT-4 for it. Mine is the full RTR version which seems now hard to find. But the kit is still available on eBay.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...g-car-kit.html

A few others are using SpecR chassis. The majority are using XRay T4. TC4 is a solid vehicle. But seems that the VTA class is more inline for it.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Stig,

We race USGT at Easley RC Raceway, at the Hobby Connection in Easley. The on-road races are held every other Saturday on the outdoor track. Next race is July 15th. You might consider USVTA, since that is the biggest class and the TC4 is very competitive in that class. (I've won a bunch of A-mains with my TC4's).

There is also a group of us that race at Bush River Raceway in Columbia, SC that have USGT cars.

I have been racing a TC4 in USVTA (and some USGT) for the last 4 years, so if I can help out let me know. The TC4 USVTA is a loaner car, I provide the car/radio/transponder to new racers who want to try out on-road and USVTA. No charge for the rental, you just pay for any broken parts. If you're interested, get in touch with me.

Mark
Wow, how about that--Corey at Hobby Connection in Easley is actually who I talked to about this last time I was down there. I love the off-road track in Easley and have been down there several times with a buddy of mine. If I do end up racing anywhere on-road, it will almost certainly be in Easley.

What's the USGT showing like? USGT really does appeal to me more than USVTA, but it sounds like the TC4 is perhaps not as competitive in USGT. Really appreciate the offer for a loaner, I may have to consider that.

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I just started running USGT this summer. I'm using a BSR BT-4 for it. Mine is the full RTR version which seems now hard to find. But the kit is still available on eBay.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...g-car-kit.html

A few others are using SpecR chassis. The majority are using XRay T4. TC4 is a solid vehicle. But seems that the VTA class is more inline for it.
What's the part/hop-up availability for the BSR BT-4 and SpecR like? That would be one of my concerns with those two. XRay T4 is too rich for my blood for just getting started.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

I wouldnt buy a TC4 for USGT racing.
If you have a nice track near you with alot of racers you might be able to find a used T3 or 4 , TC6.1 or .2 for sale.
Those cars would be better. with any used RC car though its best to got though the car make sure its in good condition
Part availability would be a good thing to check out whatever used car you are looking at
Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow, how about that--Corey at Hobby Connection in Easley is actually who I talked to about this last time I was down there. I love the off-road track in Easley and have been down there several times with a buddy of mine. If I do end up racing anywhere on-road, it will almost certainly be in Easley.

What's the USGT showing like? USGT really does appeal to me more than USVTA, but it sounds like the TC4 is perhaps not as competitive in USGT. Really appreciate the offer for a loaner, I may have to consider that.

What's the part/hop-up availability for the BSR BT-4 and SpecR like? That would be one of my concerns with those two. XRay T4 is too rich for my blood for just getting started.
There is a parts compatibility list in that thread for what other brands will work with the BT4. As for mine I've only needed to replace 1 rear belt. Not sure for the SpecR.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

The USGT class is growing. Those of us looking for a 2nd class or those wanting to go a little faster are starting to build them. Some of us already have them from racing on the carpet.

The TC4 is a little old technology wise, and the newer chassis will be more competitive in USGT. Not saying you can't get a TC4 to race USGT, but it'll have a tough time. I run an Xray T4 '13 chassis in USGT. It is rough asphalt, so be ready to scuff & scrape the chassis.

Mark
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

from what i've seen, the Spec-R probably has a better availability for spares. TQ RC Racing in California carries their parts and i'm sure your local shop can get them too (since spec-r makes parts for pretty much every chassis out there)

if you're not afraid of a used chassis - you can probably find yourself a T4 fairly prices, since i'm sure the T5 (or whatever they're calling it) will be out shortly. the majority of my race chassis are used - only new ones I've purchased (since 1999) are a Tamiya M03/M05 and my Hot Bodies TCXX
Old 07-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
from what i've seen, the Spec-R probably has a better availability for spares. TQ RC Racing in California carries their parts and i'm sure your local shop can get them too (since spec-r makes parts for pretty much every chassis out there)

if you're not afraid of a used chassis - you can probably find yourself a T4 fairly prices, since i'm sure the T5 (or whatever they're calling it) will be out shortly. the majority of my race chassis are used - only new ones I've purchased (since 1999) are a Tamiya M03/M05 and my Hot Bodies TCXX
I think the TC7,2 (or TC8) is overdue , Every six-Nine months whether we need it or not.
Totally Rediculous
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

The BT-4 is a solid performer for the price and getting parts for this car have not been that big of an issue because we have a consolidated list on this site in the BT-4 thread. You can get the hop up parts from Team C which is currently stocking their US warehouse with parts for all their RC Cars. The BT-4/ TR10 with hop ups is the TC10. You can come to Ho-B RC Park in Durham, NC to run on road to. Mark C. have been there several time to race with us well so a lot of driver from the Queen city area.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

BT-4 AAR in stock at Hobby King US warehouse for $208.34 plus shipping.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/basher-b...___store=en_us
Old 07-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by massenb203
The BT-4 is a solid performer for the price and getting parts for this car have not been that big of an issue because we have a consolidated list on this site in the BT-4 thread. You can get the hop up parts from Team C which is currently stocking their US warehouse with parts for all their RC Cars. The BT-4/ TR10 with hop ups is the TC10. You can come to Ho-B RC Park in Durham, NC to run on road to. Mark C. have been there several time to race with us well so a lot of driver from the Queen city area.
Ho B Max is a great place to race as well. Jose, John, Dayne and the rest of the crew there put on a great race program.

If only it wasn't 4.5hrs from my house.

Easley is just over an hour from my house, and Bush River is 2.5 hrs. So those are the places I mentioned.

Stig, if you want to see what a TC4 will do in USGT, I'll be happy to put in a 21.5 motor in the loaner and put a USGT body on it for you to try.

Mark
Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

So much good info in this thread, really appreciate the input everyone.

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Ho B Max is a great place to race as well. Jose, John, Dayne and the rest of the crew there put on a great race program.

If only it wasn't 4.5hrs from my house.

Easley is just over an hour from my house, and Bush River is 2.5 hrs. So those are the places I mentioned.

Stig, if you want to see what a TC4 will do in USGT, I'll be happy to put in a 21.5 motor in the loaner and put a USGT body on it for you to try.

Mark
I might just take you up on that! I'll send you a PM and see if we can maybe work something out.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

2013 TC6.1 or 2014 XRay T4?

Found both used, both look to be in great shape and within the price I'm willing to spend. Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The thing to take into consideration first and foremost is the parts/support network. X-ray is really quite good but you can find parts for almost anything made by Associated at a Hobby Town. Well maybe not but you get the drift.

You could also do a lot worse than making the acquaintance of Scirocco. He and Nutdriver have been a great deal of help to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.