R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Lube the drive belts (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/991951-lube-drive-belts.html)

Ruudned 07-09-2017 07:29 AM

Lube the drive belts

Hey guys,i wanne know if i can drop my belts in a bottle with some silecone spray.the reason is on outdoor tracks my belts getting really dirty with rubber and some times it also is on my diff.i wanne ask what i can do so that the rubber can find no grip to stuck on the diff and belts ..thanks

Tom1977 07-09-2017 10:06 AM

Never ever clean your belt with silicone spray, WD40 etc.!

Your belt will skip under load. Use warm water and some soap to clean. For diffs and pulleys too. And dry them completely.

rc10t3b4 07-09-2017 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tom1977 (Post 14971737)
Never ever clean your belt with silicone spray, WD40 etc.!

Your belt will skip under load. Use warm water and some soap to clean. For diffs and pulleys too. And dry them completely.

Well that explains why my XXX-S incinerated a belt in 2 minutes. It stripped off every single tooth. :lol:

Skiddins 07-14-2017 01:51 AM

Years back we used to soak the belts in WD40 overnight to soften them. Though they were dried out before fitting them.

Obviously that isn't quite the same as trying to lubricate them whilst running them.

dan_vector 07-14-2017 05:43 AM

I use the silicone belt lubricant from BrilliantRC fantastic stuff and really makes a difference to the transmission and the belt never skips. We used to soak belts in WD40 years ago like the above poster.

DavidNERODease 07-14-2017 08:39 AM

I have used full synthetic motor oil to lube all belts since the HPI Micro RS4 days. A racer discovered that the lubrication greatly increased speed due to reducing the belt friction from rubbing on the chassis. But when I tried it I noticed that the pulleys NEVER EVER get clogged with junk when racing on carpet which was also a major problem on the car with our surface. Since then I've lubed every single touring car belt and have not needed to clean a pulley in well over a decade. Never had any issues with the belt skipping even at low tensions. Never had to replace a belt due to wear either.

Antimullet 07-14-2017 09:08 AM

Tire sauce on the non gear facing side.

RobS 07-14-2017 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease (Post 14976102)
I have used full synthetic motor oil to lube all belts since the HPI Micro RS4 days. A racer discovered that the lubrication greatly increased speed due to reducing the belt friction from rubbing on the chassis. But when I tried it I noticed that the pulleys NEVER EVER get clogged with junk when racing on carpet which was also a major problem on the car with our surface. Since then I've lubed every single touring car belt and have not needed to clean a pulley in well over a decade. Never had any issues with the belt skipping even at low tensions. Never had to replace a belt due to wear either.

Interesting.. I remember doing it all the time back in the micro days but never really gave it a thought when it came to Touring Cars. Might have to try that out.

DavidNERODease 07-14-2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by RobS (Post 14976132)
Interesting.. I remember doing it all the time back in the micro days but never really gave it a thought when it came to Touring Cars. Might have to try that out.

A nice thing about full synthetic engine oil is that it's very tidy. It just vanishes or over time - no icky mess left behind. Nothing sticks. It's very different from all the typical lubricants and fluids we use on R/C cars.

fanfor18 07-14-2017 11:24 AM

Are you soaking the belt in the oil, how are you applying it to the belt?

JatoTheRipper 07-14-2017 12:28 PM

:weird:

What brand of synthetic oil are you using? I've seen sticky sythetic oil and the components are not going to evaporate so I'm curious about this.

Lone Drifter 07-14-2017 01:10 PM

The Only cars I have had where the belt have Shredded were belts that have gotten lube on them and were Totally enclosed in the Chassis ( Losi XX4 4wd buggy and Losi Street Weapon touring car):tire:

disaster999 07-15-2017 12:25 AM

Brilliant RC Belt Silicone Oil
https://www.t2shop.de/WebRoot/Store1...BR7004_500.jpg
https://www.t2shop.de/WebRoot/Store1...04_use_500.jpg

hobbs 07-15-2017 05:27 AM

About Brilliant RC Belt Silicon oil,
how often you lube the belt??? every race??

dan_vector 07-15-2017 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by hobbs (Post 14976688)
About Brilliant RC Belt Silicon oil,
how often you lube the belt??? every race??

Everytime I rebuild the car I will clean the belts with an old tooth brush and then reapply the belt silicone and allow it to 'dry' then put the belt back in the car. When the belt is new I will apply the silicone a few times and allow it to soak right into the belt before putting it in the car...