Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lube the drive belts >

Lube the drive belts

Like Tree9Likes

Lube the drive belts

Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where are you guys buying the Brilliant RC Belt Silicone Oil. The distributor in the US is saying out of stock
Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wonder if this treadmill belt silicone oil is the same thing. I'm sure it's very close, but the viscosity might be different.

100% Silicone Oil Treadmill Belt Lubricant / Lube with Easy Squeeze Bottle | eBay
Old 07-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by disaster999
Brilliant RC Belt Silicone Oil

Yes i use this it makes my belts going a little smoother and they stay clean,sand and rubber can find no grip anymore on my belts
Old 07-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fanfor18
Are you soaking the belt in the oil, how are you applying it to the belt?
I apply the oil with an old Trinity motor bushing oil bottle - with the needle dropper thingy. No soaking. It takes very little oil to have the desired effect.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper

What brand of synthetic oil are you using? I've seen sticky sythetic oil and the components are not going to evaporate so I'm curious about this.
Castrol 5W-30 full synthetic engine oil if I remember correctly. I apply just enough to wet the pulleys. Because it won't stick, any dirt, rubber or carpet fibre that comes in contact with the oil just flings off the belt and pulleys. That's the trick. All the oil just flings off eventually - not really evaporating of course.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ruudned
Yes i use this it makes my belts going a little smoother and they stay clean,sand and rubber can find no grip anymore on my belts
Presumably there is a rating of shock oil that will achieve the same results?
If it's specifically for belts, do you know how it differs from shock oil?
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Presumably there is a rating of shock oil that will achieve the same results?
If it's specifically for belts, do you know how it differs from shock oil?
+1. Curious to know too
Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom1977
Never ever clean your belt with silicone spray, WD40 etc.!

Your belt will skip under load. Use warm water and some soap to clean. For diffs and pulleys too. And dry them completely.
petroleum products break down rubbers (not viton), rubber will soak up petroleum products, swell, and then completely fall apart. thats why i question this whole tire sauce thing, sure its making your tires sticky which is good for racing, and racing is all about that little advantage over the next guy therefore i also have to utilize it, but it destroys rubber tires. kinda wish we could away from it myself but thats different thread i reckon. surprised yall used wd40 back in the day on belts, did they not swell up and tighten up the belt tension or break way too soon?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roosterreagan
petroleum products break down rubbers (not viton), rubber will soak up petroleum products, swell, and then completely fall apart. thats why i question this whole tire sauce thing, sure its making your tires sticky which is good for racing, and racing is all about that little advantage over the next guy therefore i also have to utilize it, but it destroys rubber tires. kinda wish we could away from it myself but thats different thread i reckon. surprised yall used wd40 back in the day on belts, did they not swell up and tighten up the belt tension or break way too soon?
Putting additive on the tyres is to increase grip, which also often helps reduce tyre wear (as a side effect) due to the reduced slip.

Also depends on what the rubber is made of, otherwise the rubber seals around the fuel tank on your real car for example, would fail.

We don't run our tyres for long enough for any downsides to effect the tyres, they're thrown long before it could become an issue.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I already read this topic twice and I'm now pretty sure that everybody here is serious.

Most of the modern belts I have seen should not be greased at all. In the ancient times (lol) drivers were putting silicone oil on belts to make them less rigid. It is absolutely not needed anymore on modern models.

Plus, I totally agree on the tyre prep, it destroys the tyres faster. When you forbid to put some chemicals on tyres, drivers can use their tyres longer. :-)
k_bojar likes this.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

I oil, not grease my belts to prevent the pulleys from clogging - no other reason. It works extremely well.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Putting additive on the tyres is to increase grip, which also often helps reduce tyre wear (as a side effect) due to the reduced slip.

Also depends on what the rubber is made of, otherwise the rubber seals around the fuel tank on your real car for example, would fail.

We don't run our tyres for long enough for any downsides to effect the tyres, they're thrown long before it could become an issue.
I am aware of what seals in contact with gasoline are made of, Viton, I think it's a brand name. Rubber is made of rubber. There's nitrile. Then theres natural rubber, which isn't seen much these days, atleast not in my industry. And synthetic rubbers, which is the Lion's share of products named just Rubber. I'm sure there's others that I'm not aware of. I may be mistaken but increasing traction does not reduce tire wear, I see your reasoning but I also see the potential for the opposite situation. I did notice after I "sauced" my brand new $60 set of F1 tires the first time and ran a few laps, when I got back to pit the tires were already showing signs of breaking down (tiny wrinkles/craters), just wondering, if considering how little the f1 cars weigh and how much surface area the tires have, am I going to be tossing them due to natural wear or chemical breakdown. It'll hurt my feelings if it's the latter.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

I am aware of what seals in contact with gasoline are made of, Viton, I think it's a brand name. Rubber is made of rubber. There's nitrile. Then theres natural rubber, which isn't seen much these days, atleast not in my industry. And synthetic rubbers, which is the Lion's share of products named just Rubber. I'm sure there's others that I'm not aware of. I may be mistaken but increasing traction does not reduce tire wear, I see your reasoning but I also see the potential for the opposite situation. I did notice after I "sauced" my brand new $60 set of F1 tires the first time and ran a few laps, when I got back to pit the tires were already showing signs of breaking down (tiny wrinkles/craters), just wondering, if considering how little the f1 cars weigh and how much surface area the tires have, am I going to be tossing them due to natural wear or chemical breakdown. It'll hurt my feelings if it's the latter.
If your F1 tyres are starting to look crap after a few laps something is definitely wrong. Perhaps the specific additive you're using is insanely aggressive, or possibly you're warming the tyres to too higher temps, the tyres aren't suitable for the surface or most likely, the car is actually spinning it's inside rear during tight turns.
I've run F1's on different carpets, using Pit, Sweep, Ride, GRP tyres etc. And whilst I have mixed opinions on the different tyres, none are done, or look bad, after a few laps.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

If your F1 tyres are starting to look crap after a few laps something is definitely wrong. Perhaps the specific additive you're using is insanely aggressive, or possibly you're warming the tyres to too higher temps, the tyres aren't suitable for the surface or most likely, the car is actually spinning it's inside rear during tight turns.
I've run F1's on different carpets, using Pit, Sweep, Ride, GRP tyres etc. And whilst I have mixed opinions on the different tyres, none are done, or look bad, after a few laps.
Sxt, no warming, but you may be on to something, I was suspecting that it was diffing out, it's actually only the one rear now that I'm looking at them better, it's 'wrinkled' looking about 1/8" of the way in from the outboard edge of tire. Pretty sure it was on the right, spur side, see any correlation there? Why it'd happen on only the one side? I don't mean to argue any of this btw, I don't know enough about to do so, just trying to learn. The fast guy at the track has locked his diff. Know of any way I can tighten my diff (serpent f110 sf3) but still have a little diff action? Seems I can tighten the nut only so far and it never quite will lock up...
Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Sxt, no warming, but you may be on to something, I was suspecting that it was diffing out, it's actually only the one rear now that I'm looking at them better, it's 'wrinkled' looking about 1/8" of the way in from the outboard edge of tire. Pretty sure it was on the right, spur side, see any correlation there? Why it'd happen on only the one side? I don't mean to argue any of this btw, I don't know enough about to do so, just trying to learn. The fast guy at the track has locked his diff. Know of any way I can tighten my diff (serpent f110 sf3) but still have a little diff action? Seems I can tighten the nut only so far and it never quite will lock up...
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the Serpent car to be able to help with the diff.
Try tyre warmers if you have some and see if that helps.