Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree507Likes

Tamiya M-07 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Got some of these today and they fit perfectly - thanks to all for the advice.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

Now it would be good if I could find some decent turnbuckles - I heard that Zen make some but I cant find them anywhere to buy online...?
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I don't think you started any debate. There's a difference between a debate of opinions and stating incorrect information. C ratings are a real thing.
In theory they are a thing in some ways since batteries do have some theoretical capability parameters, of course, but in practise as I said the manufacturers pretty much pull those numbers out of thin air. For example SMC Racing made a statement which says among other things: "Some may have seen my posts about C rates being used as marketing and pretty much made up. It’s not bad enough that C rates are made up and inflated that some are now inflating mAh too."

My SCTE takes a pretty damn deep gulp of battery power when I "floor it" to make it through a triple in one go after a turn for example, so when a 20C/40C pack can make that happen as much as a higher rating one can, it speaks volumes to me. I've never felt limited by a battery other than in capacity (in other words runtime, damned 4WD goes through a battery so fast). A Mini is a crawler by comparison.

Anyway, there's plenty of solid info out there about this, no need for me to parrot more of it here... plus, not really the thread for it anyways. Sorry for sidetracking things, guys! And of course there's no harm in getting a higher C-rating pack, except that it might be more expensive without any actual benefit and as someone stated perhaps a bit heavier. But as was also said, we each do as we feel best.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think all the comments are valuable, ...batteries have been discussed and debated so much on other threads and agree that we can probably dedicate another 10 pages at least on this subject. In the end, like you said, we all do as we feel best.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tvih

My SCTE takes a pretty damn deep gulp of battery power when I "floor it" to make it through a triple in one go after a turn for example, so when a 20C/40C pack can make that happen as much as a higher rating one can, it speaks volumes to me. I've never felt limited by a battery other than in capacity.
Problem with lipos is, that C rating doesn't state their maximum current, but maximum safe current. That means that 20C can give you current way above 20C, but it will shorten its lifespan or worse, destroy it.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
I do have another question, ...curious what diff' weight oil your all using in your m07's?
-and do any of you mix diff oils (from same manufacturer)? I am currently using 100k but fee that something a tad lighter would be better, say 90k -if they make it. So I was thinking of mixing some 100k and a bit of 50k in my diff to make it a bit lighter than the 100k I have in. thoughts?
Just put less 100k oil in the diff ?

Or take out 2 gears ?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bluecat
Now it would be good if I could find some decent turnbuckles - I heard that Zen make some but I cant find them anywhere to buy online...?
Tamiya makes 18mm turnbuckles for the m05 that will work on this car as well. Lunsford also make some nice ones.
JatoTheRipper and Bluecat like this.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I went with steel BD7 3x16 for the camber links, and Vbc 3x15 for steering. Aluminum tends to bend or snap if I pound 'the kink' a little too hard at my local track. lol
Old 01-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AngryRog
I went with steel BD7 3x16 for the camber links, and Vbc 3x15 for steering. Aluminum tends to bend or snap if I pound 'the kink' a little too hard at my local track. lol
Thanks - where did you get them?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks - where did you get them?
TQ Racing, available online.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Any ideas on what I can substitute in for the front uprights and steering knuckles, with so many places out of stock of the standard ones, and the 3 racing ones not legal at big events as no equal Tamiya parts (And yes, over here, there are some very eager Mini trophy hunters!)

Also the small spacer that goes under the screw holding the steering block in.

Note to self, on a hot outdoor asphalt track, Tamiya Type B's suck!

Finding the Shimizu 456 lasted all of 3 * 6 second races before completely chewed out on the inside edge (kit set up) Any one else running asphalt finding such with the tyre wear?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

dude, when the tarmac temperature is 100c, no tire is gonna last. :-)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
Any ideas on what I can substitute in for the front uprights and steering knuckles, with so many places out of stock of the standard ones, and the 3 racing ones not legal at big events as no equal Tamiya parts (And yes, over here, there are some very eager Mini trophy hunters!)

Also the small spacer that goes under the screw holding the steering block in.

Note to self, on a hot outdoor asphalt track, Tamiya Type B's suck!

Finding the Shimizu 456 lasted all of 3 * 6 second races before completely chewed out on the inside edge (kit set up) Any one else running asphalt finding such with the tyre wear?
Unfortunately no substitute part would be legal at this stage. We're expecting Tamiya to eventually release an alloy knuckle but they don't usually do the C hub. I imagine if this remains a pain point for too much longer there could be a rule change to allow them.

Regarding tyre wear, I'm liking the Team Powers 36, front and back, when the asphalt is hot. They're a bit twitchy for the first lap or so but they last pretty well.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is something a few of us were discussing at our club. We're of the opinion that if the only benefit is reliability over the standard item, it can run.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nova2015
This is something a few of us were discussing at our club. We're of the opinion that if the only benefit is reliability over the standard item, it can run.
I would agree with that, but as you know there will always be some that will point to it as an illegal upgrade and have a cry about it (the same ones who seem to like to over charge their packs etc)

Rationally, given the limited availability of the replacement part (and even the upgrade part) I think that if a club excludes someone for having these parts, it'd be a bit of a dog move.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It would be nice to substitute the plastic steering knuckles with M05 aluminium ones. At least until Tamiya works out their spare parts availability issues with C Parts tree.

I've found the Pits 36 tyres to be great on the front of the M07 in the heat, I have found the TP36s are over grippy and cause the car to almost traction roll or step out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.