R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
This response is of little to no help to anyone...especially since touque steer is only present with a shaft with the lower wind modified motors. It just sounds like you prefer belt over shaft.
sdmlsu1 asked for pros and cons of shaft and belt drive and I gave it to him. Yes, I prefer belt drive over shaft drive after having driven both types of cars, because shaft drive cars suffer from torque steer.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

yea im definitely leaning towards JRXS. does anyone have this car that can tell me their experience with it??
mtx-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx-2
Yea so i want to get into on road racing. What would you recommend as a better overall choice. Any other suggestions are also good. Thanks.
Go with the kit were you can get help on set up if your racing and get parts easy good luck on your choice.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
sdmlsu1 asked for pros and cons of shaft and belt drive and I gave it to him. Yes, I prefer belt drive over shaft drive after having driven both types of cars, because shaft drive cars suffer from torque steer.
Funny. I have a shaft drive car and run 7-turn motors all day long. I seem to have NO torque steer in my car.

Yes, your car can HAVE torque steer if it is not set up correctly...and, if I'm guessing right, mtx-2 is NOT going to be running hot modified motors...so, even IF your car exhibits torque steer and you THINK it's because of a hot modified motor, mtx-2 will most likely be running stock or maybe 19t.

mtx-2: you can't go wrong with either car. I, of course, vote for the FT TC4, but I'm somewhat biased.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is a good answer, NEITHER!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman
Here is a good answer, NEITHER!!!
what would you recommend?
mtx-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #22
Tech Adept

I had both a Team TC4 and the Losi JRXs. I gave the TC4 to my 6 year old son to bash with. I sold the Losi. Here are the reasons. With the Team TC4, I could not get it to turn in no matter what adjustments I made. Compared to other racers on asphalt, my TC4 just could not stay up with the other brands of cars in the turns.

With the Losi, I was very frustrated by problems with chassis tweak that was hard to banish. Also, the build quality was not good. The counter sunk screw holes in the chassis were not deep enough, so almost all of the screws were not flush with the chassis, but stuck down by varying amounts. Another problem (which is now solved) was that to get optimal handling, the Losi needed custom fabricated shock mounting brackets. Losi has finally released revised suspension arms that incorporate this new shock mounting, but I got really tired of waiting months for these parts. Finally, the Losi center battery design while cool is really a pain. It requires very carefully built battery packs, with very precisely located battery bars and you need an accessory battery tray for the new high capacity cells. Wiring the batteries is also a pain since you cannot easily use Deans plugs. You either have to solder the batteries or use Corally style bullet connectors. All in all, the Losi was just more trouble than it was worth.

I ended up getting an HPI Pro4 Hara Edition. It was much more dialed right out of the box than either the TC4 or the JRXs. Also, the drive train is much better shielded than on either of the other cars. Thus, I get far less dirt, pebbles, etc. sneaking into the Pro4 and messing up gears. Finally, in my experience as well as that of several magazine reviewers, the Pro4 has no torque steer despite being shaft drive. I have run mine with an 8x1 mod motor that had no trouble running away from a 1/12 car with a 9x1 motor and it ran straight as an arroweven under the hardest acceleration.

The only down side with the Pro4 is that as delivered it is optimized for asphalt. For optimal carpet performance, you would need to purchase new thicker top and bottom chassis plates. I have not done this and mine Pro4 runs well on carpet, but likely could be faster with these mods.

In my area, the most popular cars are the Xrays (mostly T1s, though I don't think there is enough data to know if the T2 is really the next big thing) and Corally RDXs. Also in my area, parts are most widely available for (in order) TC4, Pro4, Xray T1 and then fairly spotty coverage for the rest. Don't overlook the importance of parts. It is no fun to end your race day at 10 AM because you broke a part for which you have no spare and there is no local parts support.

Another possibility for budget minded folks is the new Tamiya TA-05. I have read very positive reviews and one of the locals recently ran very well on asphalt in 19T with a freshly built TA-05. If you shop carefully, you can get one for about $150 (or $90 if you have a friend in Japan ;-). Note, this is likely mostly an asphalt car.

Good luck,
Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
Actually you gave him neither pro's or con's.

I've currently run both as seen in my signature. I ran my FT TC3 for 4 years in stock and 19 Turn and it never once showed signes of torque steering. I have run down as low as 10 Turn in my TC4 and I had no evidence of torque steer. As Tphalen stated, if your shaft car has torque steering, your car is either tweaked or set up incorrectly.

sdmlsu1:

Bottom line is this:

Shaft has more punch or the feel of being punchier...all other things being equal, shaft is faster off the line and out of a corner due to the throttle response. Also, IMO shaft drives seem to like to be driven harder or more aggressive. Nop matter how hard I drive my TC4 it just screams to be driven harder.

Belt: while not having the great throttle response that shaft has, they are smoother and more forgiving. For me, I am more consistant with a belt car.

When comparing my RDX to my TC3, I am more consistant with the RDX and it seems easier to drive. However, My fastest lap times are with my FT TC4 but since my lap times are not as consistant, my slower lap times are slower than with the RDX but in the end my average lap time is the same with both cars.

It comes down to driving style IMO.

Shaft also has much less maintenance and easier to work on. No belts to replace, stretch or have to adjust the tension of. Sealed diffs so you are not constantly rebuilding them.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

sorry, I gotta' sneek this one in... consider a schumacher, so easy to drive its fun. my .02 for the Mi2.