Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs. >

Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By texastc
  • 1 Post By WagwanBumba

Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs.

Hi,
As the title suggests. I need a new body. I have a 1:10 mini (bsr m rage). However I'm running normal 1:10 size wheels (62mm) 26mm wide.

I'm preparing a functional under tray, splitter and diffuser so to be worth it I want a decent body.

I have seen 1:12 scale pan card bodies, but I don't know if these will fit, especially with 62mm wheels.

The overall dimensions of the car is 210mm wheelbase,. 170mm track. Chassis with splitter and diffuser will be about 360mm, although the body could be 60mm shorter than this without a problem.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
JJ
Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't have any experience with this bout wouldn't a pan car body be pretty "draggy" because of all the down force they generate?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

experiment look at the Porsche 962 looking body from RJ Speed. I got one off eBay for cheap, its the old Bolink Co I think any way gotta start somewhere. You need downforce if you want traction

Im running 200mm width and about 185 wheelbase

NEW RJ Speed 1/10 962 Style GTP Body 200mm 1052 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs.-img_0386.jpg  
jj_RC likes this.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LJH
I don't have any experience with this bout wouldn't a pan car body be pretty "draggy" because of all the down force they generate?

Cheers,
Jim
Yes and no. The pan cars will have much cleaner air flow so will be more efficient than a lot of the other rc bodies. However the large rear wing will generate more down force than needed so will need cutting back a bit so as to not cause too much drag. A lot of the 'wings' on rc bodies are not accurate aerofoils they are just scoops so they don't create down force efficiently. I'll be using a proper low pressure undertray and diffuser to generate down force so mostly I need a clean compact body.

I think I may have to go with a 190mm width body to accommodate the full size 1:10 wheels and deal with the extra 10mm width overhang. The length isn't an issue as I may leave rear wheels enclosed..

Still struggling to find a good option. The actual pan card bodies use much smaller front wheels so I don't think they will clear. I did find an rs4 bltiz. 1:10 mini for bsr m rage. I may have to go with this and hope the large wheels fit.

What are people's thoughts on the over hang of a 190mm body on a 170mm chassis. I could get 6mm offset 36mm wide wheels which would take up most of that, but would screw up cars handling I fear..
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jj_RC
Yes and no. The pan cars will have much cleaner air flow so will be more efficient than a lot of the other rc bodies. However the large rear wing will generate more down force than needed so will need cutting back a bit so as to not cause too much drag. A lot of the 'wings' on rc bodies are not accurate aerofoils they are just scoops so they don't create down force efficiently. I'll be using a proper low pressure undertray and diffuser to generate down force so mostly I need a clean compact body.

I think I may have to go with a 190mm width body to accommodate the full size 1:10 wheels and deal with the extra 10mm width overhang. The length isn't an issue as I may leave rear wheels enclosed..

Still struggling to find a good option. The actual pan card bodies use much smaller front wheels so I don't think they will clear. I did find an rs4 bltiz. 1:10 mini for bsr m rage. I may have to go with this and hope the large wheels fit.

What are people's thoughts on the over hang of a 190mm body on a 170mm chassis. I could get 6mm offset 36mm wide wheels which would take up most of that, but would screw up cars handling I fear..
As I had said previously, you're very stuck for bodies with the m-chassis cars.

If you can find one of these - LZ Mini Touring Car Lexan Body Shell ( For 1/10 Mini) [SPR007-LZ] - $15.20 : Spec-R, The Professional Accessories for R/C minus or a very trimmed wing could do. But a full 190mm touring car body on an m-chassis car would be very odd.

190mm width TC car is expecting a wheel base of about 255mm
M-chassis 170mm width on the M-rage is looking for a wheel base of 210mm. You're not just dealing with the width but also the length.
jj_RC likes this.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
As I had said previously, you're very stuck for bodies with the m-chassis cars.

If you can find one of these - LZ Mini Touring Car Lexan Body Shell ( For 1/10 Mini) [SPR007-LZ] - $15.20 : Spec-R, The Professional Accessories for R/C minus or a very trimmed wing could do. But a full 190mm touring car body on an m-chassis car would be very odd.

190mm width TC car is expecting a wheel base of about 255mm
M-chassis 170mm width on the M-rage is looking for a wheel base of 210mm. You're not just dealing with the width but also the length.
Yep, you're 100% correct. I think because I had read the cup racer and and the Tamiya mini bodies would fit that I would find more. Sadly the styles are limited for aero.

The link is helpful. I will try to source one of these.

Thanks again. We
Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

I totally missed the M-chassis part.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jj_RC
For sure, as in any scale motorsport it is a balance. Obviously the more down force you have the more drag it will generate, now you just have to find that happy medium.

I do find it interesting that more research has not been done on RC car wings, I fly RC gliders competitively and some really smart people have done a huge amount of work to find airfoils that produce the greatest amount of lift with the least amount of drag.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-27-2017, 01:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LJH
For sure, as in any scale motorsport it is a balance. Obviously the more down force you have the more drag it will generate, now you just have to find that happy medium.

I do find it interesting that more research has not been done on RC car wings, I fly RC gliders competitively and some really smart people have done a huge amount of work to find airfoils that produce the greatest amount of lift with the least amount of drag.

Cheers,
Jim
It's really is interesting,. I have found a few research projects on it. In reality their aero performance is extremely similar to their full scale equivalents. However, with much higher power to weight, much lower cross section the challenges are different. My main surprise is the lack of using ground effect it diffuser. So many videos of people topping 150mph with even 1/5 scale and they basically have an inboard buggy body and floor. I do wonder if bottoming out is a problem on anything by super smooth surface and this is why people aren't using aero undertrays. A sudden loss if air flow at 100+ would be catastrophic... I'm a few weeks from trying some stuff out. Theoretical 100mph mark with current set up, but for a 1:10 mini (1:12), it will probs end badly haha. Also from advice and reading up, the drive train will be at it's limit so may melt. All part of the fun! Great to find this forum, so many helpful people and good info.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ground effect probably doesn't scale enough to make it worth while and if you're going to also consider the scale of the bumps in the road, the road surface is probably a little too bumpy to rely on it
There's a thread that's looked at some funky aero here somewhere but can't find it at the moment
Given you're looking at pushing the boundaries, how about home brewing a body for your car? That would be really interesting to see!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Ground effect probably doesn't scale enough to make it worth while and if you're going to also consider the scale of the bumps in the road, the road surface is probably a little too bumpy to rely on it
There's a thread that's looked at some funky aero here somewhere but can't find it at the moment
Given you're looking at pushing the boundaries, how about home brewing a body for your car? That would be really interesting to see!
Yea this was what I wondered about. Also, most people have the bodies v close to ground so will get some ground effect from the skirts anyway even if car floor isn't perfect. I'm looking into a custom body. The trouble is u can't guess at the aero elements so making an efficient body without a jig and/or some sophisticated kit could be tricky. I am considering a 190mm width body with closed rear wheels. I could quite easily take 20mm out of the centre line and bond it to get a 170mm width and for the gt style bodies the longer wheel base won't be an issue, just as long as front lines up. Got a lot going on, but once I get this moving in a few weeks I will post some pics and detail.