R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Here is something to think about.

Weight distribution, from side to side can be made back to neutral by simply relocating the speed controler and receiver to the side of the battery(not a complete fix but makes it closer). But the biggest change will be the front to rear difference with the motors where they are at. That will more than likely have a greater affect on the handling than the side to side which was already fixed by changing where you mount your speed controler, and receiver.

Only real big draw back would be how would Lipo batteries fit into this equation since they are 3.7 volts per cell(approximately).
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder what will happen to people using the Orion4800 Lipo battery? does it count as 6cell or 1cell?
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

About time!!!!!

It worked for the oval cars a few years ago, It will work for the sedans now. Given the current and never ending increase in battery voltage, there are a select few that car wheel a 6-cell mod car the way it needs to be done. As far as a balance problem, move the electronics around and add some lead, not a big deal unless you make it one.

Eric Dimmick
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #34
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I want to see if it works! I would be 100% for it. I watched one of my teammates turn an almost TQ time with only 4 cells because his pack went nuculear on him. his lap times were only about 3 tenths off. And that was not at a lighter weight.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #35
Tech Master

I´m not sure why the JMRCA got this way, but they tryed 8 minutes for a while, and that required some VERY good batteries. One of the problems we saw at the worlds in Florida already was that normal motors go off balance with these new batteries and low winds. With the new 3800, 4200 & 4300 it will be even´harder not to say impossible to get the armatures stay together, and this is where brushless realy can be a factor. By going 4 cell, they bring speed back and give in my opinion, normal brushed motors another chance. Price will drop by 33% a pack as well, and that is what I think the best part for the hobby.
What I think is necassary is that with 4 cell, weight need to go down with it as it did in 1/12. Otherwise, they will act on the track like a ´52 Chevy with a strait 6 under the bonnet down the strait...
Or like Barry & me. Overweight and underpowered...
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
I´m not sure why the JMRCA got this way, but they tryed 8 minutes for a while, and that required some VERY good batteries. One of the problems we saw at the worlds in Florida already was that normal motors go off balance with these new batteries and low winds. With the new 3800, 4200 & 4300 it will be even´harder not to say impossible to get the armatures stay together, and this is where brushless realy can be a factor. By going 4 cell, they bring speed back and give in my opinion, normal brushed motors another chance. Price will drop by 33% a pack as well, and that is what I think the best part for the hobby.
What I think is necassary is that with 4 cell, weight need to go down with it as it did in 1/12. Otherwise, they will act on the track like a ´52 Chevy with a strait 6 under the bonnet down the strait...

This could also keep the nimh sales going as lipo's would not be close in voltage running one cell.

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Anders, you've some good points.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I started a post about this a year ago. The testing has all been done and 4 cells work just fine. 19T 4 cell is as fast as 27T 6 cell. Lap times with 4 cell mod and 6-7 turns is only 1-2/10ths slower than the same motors with 6 cells. You just have less rip.

I let the old post die as we are on the way to LiPo and BL motors and 4 cells just doesn't work in that world.

The future is 7.4v 2 cell LiPo and speed will be limited with lower Kv BL motors. Stock will be ~4500Kv, Spec mod will be ~6000Kv and Open Mod is unlimited Kv.

Current LiPo packs are 135g lighter than 6 cell packs so we get a weight reduction and all its benefits (less tire wear, better handling, etc).

Yes, cars will have to be redesigned but that is constantly happening anyways so its a non issue.

I think its cool what the Japanese are doing but its about 3 years too late to do anyone any good.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Lap times with 4 cell mod and 6-7 turns is only 1-2/10ths slower than the same motors with 6 cells. You just have less rip.

Must be a small track.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #41
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOL they dont do small tracks in FL LOL
Old 01-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #42
Tech Master

Thumbs up

bout damn time the on road crowd figured out the oval crew knows what time it is! look at the open mod lap times compared to the 19 turn times in touring car...there not far apart..........4 cells will help alex lopez in mod and give the new racers a slower place to start. a 6 cell stock car is getting way too fast for the new guy....4 cells may not replace all forms of touring car racing but i think it will have it's place. than again we may just be worrying about nothing with the advent of lipo?

btw adrian this may be the first topic ever we agree on?
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

judging by the following data from the JRMCA site..

15-3-11 重  量
    4WD(4輪駆動車)・1350g以上、2WD(2輪駆動車)・1250g以上
 15-3-15 バッテリー
   ④最高4セル(4.8V)まで使用できる。

it looks like the minimum weight is now @ 1350gm?

somone said earlier that 1 cell is ~65gm, which means that a standard touring car weighing 1500gm would straight away drop to 1370 by losing 2 cells... between the 2 extra battery bars, less CF holding the packs up (and in), and the fact that almost all cars nowadays are well under the 1500gm limit anyway, 1350gm seems like a proper limit.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman
Must be a small track.
Actually, the bigger and more flowing the track the less the diffrence between 4 and 6 cells.

Quite a few people in the R/C motor industry (in the US and Japan) read your posts on the old thread. They said you were incorrect in some of your conclusions but not to feel bad as most EE's don't fully understand the this particular application.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
LOL they dont do small tracks in FL LOL
The testing was done in California, Europe and Japan. I had nothing to do with it at all.