R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

If rubber cannot handle the heat and the speed........there are always FOAMS....from 26mm to even 35mm....LOL

There should not be a limit of speed and power.........but only for those who can handle it, and for ppl like me to WATCH them race in FAST MOTION.

I hope they are not doing the F1 thing....from no turbo allow, to no slick tires, later, they might even limited the cyclinder of the engines...then in year 2067, they might only allow electric powered F1 instead of racing gas powered F1....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
Tech Elite
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,428
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Yes, they do last longer. (Sorry I couldn't resist)
At the same amp draw, they last the same time. Your conclusion is only correct if the motors don't change. instead of 8 turns, it will be 5 and 6 turns. the reduction of a little bit of weight is not going to make up for the loss of power. motors will have to be changed.
__________________
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic
 
ttso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 900
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

IMO, what really interest is not on elect... It's on chassis/suspension design.

How many 6cells-on-one-side layout do we have right now? Virtually all latest design is based on 6cells-on-one-side, belt and shaft. The only exception is JRXS (centerline batt). 2 cells less will cause a huge weight reduction on one side of chassis (belt for right, shaft for left). This probably means servo to battery side if we still keep 4cells-on-one-side. Also the minimum weight is reduced from 1500g to 1350g, 150g less! All these are not just as simple as moving servo to battery, we probably see a total different layout/suspension to take advantage of 4cells and lighter weight.

My guess, this means a new era of touring just begin.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic
 
ttso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 900
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
If rubber cannot handle the heat and the speed........there are always FOAMS....from 26mm to even 35mm....LOL

There should not be a limit of speed and power.........but only for those who can handle it, and for ppl like me to WATCH them race in FAST MOTION.

I hope they are not doing the F1 thing....from no turbo allow, to no slick tires, later, they might even limited the cyclinder of the engines...then in year 2067, they might only allow electric powered F1 instead of racing gas powered F1....
4cells 4000mA with new chassis/suspension design might get a better laptime than 6cells, I don't know. But I think this is a good move for the future, since I almost certain current rule (6cells, 1500g) won't be reasonable for Li-battery-era with much less-weight battery.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #20
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I can't wait to run 4-cell, brushless, rubber tire touring car. I think that we should elimnate foam inserts next by requiring SOLID rubber tires, ban matched cells, and make everyone run tierods instead of shocks.

Maybe we should all just run 12th scale again.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,909
Default

It will be interesting to watch regardless of what happens - race day reality can be a hard wall to plow into.
__________________
Mason McCombs
NewRed Hobbies & Indoor Facility
Off-Road, Dirt Oval, Crawlers & Pullers
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 373
Default

It sounds cool driving 1/10TC at 100Km/h with a 4T mod, but the fact is very few people can handle that, TC mod class may died. With 4cell, we will see some power loss initally, but with the pace of battery & motor(especially brushless)technology, in 2-3 years time, horsepower will back to present level. In F1, 1995 they cut engine capacity from 3500cc to 3000cc, they lose about 100HP, from 850HP to 750HP, around 2000 they recovered all the power loss back to 850HP level. Last season some engines(e.g Mercedes) had close to 1000HP.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #23
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttso
IMO, what really interest is not on elect... It's on chassis/suspension design.

How many 6cells-on-one-side layout do we have right now? Virtually all latest design is based on 6cells-on-one-side, belt and shaft. The only exception is JRXS (centerline batt). 2 cells less will cause a huge weight reduction on one side of chassis (belt for right, shaft for left). This probably means servo to battery side if we still keep 4cells-on-one-side. Also the minimum weight is reduced from 1500g to 1350g, 150g less! All these are not just as simple as moving servo to battery, we probably see a total different layout/suspension to take advantage of 4cells and lighter weight.

My guess, this means a new era of touring just begin.
Did the minimum wheel base/overall length change? How much weight were you adding on the motor side to even out the chassis?
__________________
Mason McCombs
NewRed Hobbies & Indoor Facility
Off-Road, Dirt Oval, Crawlers & Pullers
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Tech Elite
 
speedxl's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland Oregon.
Posts: 3,881
Default

NITRO! anyone
__________________
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #25
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 241
Default

stupid rules ... I don't like it ..
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #26
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
It sounds cool driving 1/10TC at 100Km/h with a 4T mod, but the fact is very few people can handle that, TC mod class may died. With 4cell, we will see some power loss initally, but with the pace of battery & motor(especially brushless)technology, in 2-3 years time, horsepower will back to present level. In F1, 1995 they cut engine capacity from 3500cc to 3000cc, they lose about 100HP, from 850HP to 750HP, around 2000 they recovered all the power loss back to 850HP level. Last season some engines(e.g Mercedes) had close to 1000HP.
Back in the time they used 4cil 1500cc BMW motors with a turbo as big as a jet engine 1500HP was the result ..
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Thank God I'm not japanese
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic
 
ttso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 900
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
Did the minimum wheel base/overall length change? How much weight were you adding on the motor side to even out the chassis?
No wheelbase/overall length change.

3700/3800 1cell is about 64/65g. KO2363 servo 56.4g. KO302 RX 12g. KO VFS1 18.8g. So with 2cells less on one side, moving servo to battery side would be easiest solution, but battery would have to seat on rear to free front space for battery, that would make the front 2cells less weight, which is no good for front-rear balance, unless you move the motor forward, but than it be bad for chassis width (TA05 is about 12mm wider than 415, for moving motor forward). That's why I said we probably would see something totally different than today's design. Maybe PRO2/414/T1 centerline motor would return, who knows.

Anyway, it would be very interesting to see how major JP RC company gonna do to meet the new rule. I don't think they could ignore JMRCA rule, however, company like Xray/AE might just ignore JMRCA rule since their present in JP is quite small compare with Tamiya/Yokomo, and Kyosho might get a hardtime to redesign their yet-to-release EP... again.....
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedxl
NITRO! anyone
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
Tech Elite
 
tomdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Coo.. whip
Posts: 3,103
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default 4 cells

Sounds good to me but I race 1/12 scale so my opinion doesn't count. I agree that as the capacity goes up you can run lower and lower wind motors to take advantage of the runtime. The after effect is more heat more wear. When you see people putting heatsinks on the motor wire to keep them from desoldering and having to run fans all over the car its a sign of things getting out of hand. I cant wait to see the new chassis design... this might give the losi a new life.
__________________
Tom
The Couve, WA

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modified Racing Rule Change, and growing Classes dbmartin Florida Racing 28 12-22-2006 04:04 PM
EFRA rule change ttso Nitro On-Road 3 11-09-2006 06:12 AM
JMRCA 1/10 EP TOURING NATIONALS 2005 John Doucakis Electric On-Road 0 11-03-2005 03:32 AM
RC Pro rule change RMG Northwest Racers 8 10-28-2005 05:24 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net