R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Thats cool. I didn't know Kyle had been up there. This month break has got me out of the loop lol
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Yea its pretty big. I was running low 18s in 19t. I just need a spool that will hold up in my cyclone. Wonder if somebody has one I can test out, hint hint lol
Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #168
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

its coming bro.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

http://akira01.10.dtiblog.com/blog-date-20061008.html
tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if ROAR got a major agreement from all US teams and backing from local tracks/racers to do a clean sweep and drop 2-cells.....ROAR could make the same type major announcement. even big races that aren't ROAR sanctioned but use ROAR rules would probably follow. this way we wouldn't face further sedan class division. it's bad enough now with just tires, battery, and motor type.

X5 classes (27t,19t,13.5BL,4300BL, Mod) for each battery type
4-cell nimh
6 cell nimh
lipo equal to 6 cell (would these guys be willing to step down?)
lipo equal to 4-cell (not sure if there is one yet for RC Cars)

the rest of the worlds RC Car governing agencies would need to do the same so racers crossing borders to race would have to switch between 4 and 6 cells.

imagine now what it will be like for a upcoming or top Japansese driver who has been running 4-cells showing up at the IFMAR worlds in the US or EU and it's run with 6-cells? or for a US and EU driver to run 4?
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #171
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
if ROAR got a major agreement from all US teams and backing from local tracks/racers to do a clean sweep and drop 2-cells.....ROAR could make the same type major announcement. even big races that aren't ROAR sanctioned but use ROAR rules would probably follow. this way we wouldn't face further sedan class division. it's bad enough now with just tires, battery, and motor type.

4-cell nimh
6 cell nimh

the rest of the worlds RC Car governing agencies would need to do the same so racers crossing borders to race would have to switch between 4 and 6 cells.

imagine now what it will be like for a upcoming or top Japansese driver who has been running 4-cells showing up at the IFMAR worlds in the US or EU and it's run with 6-cells? or for a US and EU driver to run 4?
Well ROAR rules states that you can run up to 6 cells so if some one wants to run 4 cells let them its not against the rules.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #172
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars

4-cell nimh
6 cell nimh

the 4cell cars are still fast ,go out and try it out this weekend and see for your self. I didnt agree with it either until I tried it out for myself.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #173
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
the 4cell cars are still fast ,go out and try it out this weekend and see for your self. I didnt agree with it either until I tried it out for myself.
I tried and it's sloooooow even with a 7T it's barely faster than my 19T, and my car wasn't handling anywhere near as well.

And YES it will start a battery war, we already had that discussion all over on that other thread. Masami Hirosaka has been testing for the JRMCA and is now down to 5T motors, with which he can barely last, saying that with a set of fresh cells he should be just about fine with runtime. Did you say one race packs ? If he can't last with a 5T then even good drivers are going to struggle to last with 6T motors, we'll be burning brushes and destroying our packs because of the huge amp draw.

By the way, japan isn't all 4-cell it's only for te JRMCA which is a one off race every year to decide of the japanese champion. And Japan isn't all of the FEMCA block either.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #174
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
I tried and it's sloooooow even with a 7T it's barely faster than my 19T, and my car wasn't handling anywhere near as well.
what gear ratio were you running?? both my car and Jasons's (protc3) were both very fast and handle great! How did you balance your car? what timing did you run on the motor?what batteries?
I usually run a 11.0 FDR with my 3.5 brushless but with 4 cells I ran a 8.23 FDR and it was plenty fast.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #175
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
what gear ratio were you running?? both my car and Jasons's (protc3) were both very fast and handle great! How did you balance your car? what timing did you run on the motor?what batteries?
I usually run a 11.0 FDR with my 3.5 brushless but with 4 cells I ran a 8.23 FDR and it was plenty fast.
as per andy moore's advice i geared up one tooth and put my pack in the middle (MSX), packs were 3700s spashett so runtime wasn't great, but i wouldn't split my 4200s to test a configuration that i didn't like.

To be totally honest, there isn't anything wrong with 6-cell, this 4-cell thing is just a way for manufacturers to make more money IMHO. It would be a lot more interesting to race for longer than 5 minutes per run.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #176
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
as per andy moore's advice i geared up one tooth and put my pack in the middle (MSX), packs were 3700s spashett so runtime wasn't great, but i wouldn't split my 4200s to test a configuration that i didn't like.

To be totally honest, there isn't anything wrong with 6-cell, this 4-cell thing is just a way for manufacturers to make more money IMHO. It would be a lot more interesting to race for longer than 5 minutes per run.
I would gone up a few more , i went up like 5 teeth
Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #177
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, you were way under geared.

The car is 130g lighter so you will need lighter springs,oil, roll bar and possibly lower roll centers to increase the chassis roll.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Question...

Historically, has it always been the case that IFMAR aligns with JMRCA rulings?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #179
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex
Historically, has it always been the case that IFMAR aligns with JMRCA rulings?
No..IFMAR follows the votes of all its blocks 50% of the time and the rest of the time it does what it wants based on lobbying from manufacturers and racers.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #180
Super Moderator

Here is 2nd Cyclone almost finished. Just waiting on the servo to arrive tomorow ,as of now the car is pretty balanced( left/right,front/rear).