Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PRO4 DRIVE TRAIN HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default PRO4 DRIVE TRAIN HELP

hi how does everyone free up the drive train more ON THE PRO 4 i take one side of the bearing [metal shield ] out and flush it out then i put a few drops of serpent bearing oil and re fit them back [ without the shield ] i hope im doing this right any TIPS or advice PLEASE THANKS

Last edited by serpentrush; 01-23-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Your drivetrain is free when you get 20-30 seconds of freespin w/ a spool and atleast 15 seconds with a one-way.

Shimming, and cleaning out and oiling the bearings are the two most important things to do.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

so am i doing it right with oil & flushing ? what oil is the best also SHIMING i dont understand that part ? i run a one way and only get about 3 sec of free spin CAN YOU please give me a detailed info on how to do it THANKS
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dont think ive ever seen a car free roll by spinning the wheels by hand for more then 9-10 seconds
Old 01-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Your drivetrain is free when you get 20-30 seconds of freespin w/ a spool and atleast 15 seconds with a one-way.

Shimming, and cleaning out and oiling the bearings are the two most important things to do.
with the wheels..?
if so..that's just centrifical force at work...

without any wheels...your driveshaft should be able to spin free for a few seconds....

box stock..the pro4 has one of the freest drivetrain on the market..
the bearings are already pre-lubed with lightweight oil.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

SO come on guys how do you get it to spin for more than 3 secs
Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've never got why people get so hung up about "spin-time".. LoL.

If you NEED to get spin-time then get some new bearings, strip them of all grease and leave them without lube. Or better still, treat them with a surface friction reducer (Eg. Pro-gold). Your bearings will spin forever.

Of course, take care when you re-install your bearings to make sure things are properly aligned. Also, i've found that replacing the o-rings in the centre drive cups with foam helps.

BUT!! spin-time is less important when running under load. So, therefore it is more beneficial to actualy lube with a light-ish oil. This will slow your bearings down - and with the car unloaded without wheels etc. may seem to spin less.

But, once the car is up to speed the heavy oil is thrown by centrepetal force and you are spinning free all the same.

The Pro4 is a very smooth and free car out of the box. You would gain much more from working on set-up and driving technique than focusing too much on "spin-time"!!

Incidentally, the lighter your drive-train is (eg. upgraded with Ti or Alu shafts, delrin etc.) the less momentum your car will have and therefore less spin-time.

Some ppl measure spin WITH the wheels and you can get some stupid long times. Without anything on the car, i'd consider around 3s very good indeed.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

thanks i'll leave it at that
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With the pro-4, as long as you have the gears shimmed properly so they don't bind, then you are set.

It's very free out of the box.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

thanks and how do you shim gears is like say the 1 way can move a little left to right [ OR ??? ]