Wiki Posts
Search

RTR kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RTR kits

can u guys give opinion on which elec. RTR kit is better?
The tc3 rtr or hpi sprint?(including the electronics in both?)
I am debating which one to buy as a starter in this hobby.
both these brands are amply supported in my area
Old 11-24-2002, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

TC3 is better - both have similar quality electronics, but the TC3 has more options available, and is probably a more competitive racecar out of the box.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

even at US$50 more(thats the local orice diff)?It will be stretching my budget to its limit(but still within tho).Cant i use the extra money to get some good upgrades(i was thinking of some extra batteries/graphite chassis/better motor or something)?
opinion and input appreciated.
Is it true that the sprint has to use its own parts and isnt compatible with the Pro3 parts?Is it also true that the tc3 can use is compatible with all other tc3(like factory/team factory etc) parts?Bcos if the sprint is incompatible with the more common pro3 parts then it isnt well supported even if there is an HPI dealer around isnt it?
Old 11-24-2002, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, the sprint has it's own parts.

Is it worth $50 extra? If you're really pushing your budget, It's a close call, because once you buy the car you'll find that there are little extras you'll want to buy (like extra batteries, or a fast charger).

One good thing about the sprint is that it's simpler, with foolproof geared differentials and fixed (rather than adjustable) suspension links, but the TC3 does have the edge as far as upgradeability goes.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI vs Associated

I you ever have racing in your future. Get the Asso. TC3 over the HPI Sprint.
The TC3 is a MUCH better platform to start with for racing. If your just going to run around in the street and NOT race. I think the HPI sprint might be a better choice. It is probally a little less delicate and should hold up better to the abuse of bashing around.

PS: I own HPI cars myself and ONLY race.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default HPI vs AE

well i just checked out the two kits (again) and sad to say i cannot afford the tc3 bcos it doesnt come with any batteries and charger.added up it would cost more than a PRO3!!!!so that's it guys
Old 11-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

They make a TC3 RTR

The sprint is a Heep!!!! I've seen one run
Old 11-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default whichis better

TC3 ... fullstop.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

PRO3 or TC3 racer kit then?If the consensus is towards tc3 that would really kick HPI in the ass!their top-of-the-line model losing to an entry kit for the same price......
and that would also revise my budget and i WILL get the rtr tc3 then(btw , they should've included a battery n charger , but they didnt)
If not that means i will still stick with the sprint or buy a PRO3 if i can come up with the money
Old 11-25-2002, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

The Pro 3 is a Great Car as well. From what I here the TC3 is a little easier to get set up.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I love my TC3. Pure and simple! There are lots of hop-ups available, too. Check the parts availability for each brand car in your area - always important. I have heard some horror stories regarding the Pro3. But hey! It's all personal opinion.

From what I have seen, and this cracks me up, so many people in this hobby feel that if the chassis doesn't look 'Wild Man' (X-ray, Schumacher, etc...), then it isn't such a great car. Rubbish! Check the mags, the races, etc... You will always see TC3s doing well.

Some day, I may want to try a Schumacher, X-ray, or XXXS Losi, but for now, as I learn about driving, etc..., I will 'Grin' driving my TC3.

Being in this wonderful hobby, we all know, you generally spend 40% driving, and 60% tweaking, and tuning. And; some of these brands require more tweaking and tuning than the TC3.

I had an exotic Micro RS4, Pan chassis, and all the bells and whistles. For my 1:10 touring car, I love the simplicity of the TC3. If it's good enough for drivers like Barry Baker, I certainly have no problem owning one.

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-25-2002 at 02:34 PM.