R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Interesting tire wear (again) on my new Take Offs......

Running my TC3 this afternoon, already I am noticing a wear line on the left front tire just to the inside. It is (for lack of better words) beginning to form a groove. My camber is about 1 degree. I noticed this before on other tires, as well. It appears to only happen on the left side tires - both front and rear. Although, so far, I don't notice the left rear tire showing this. I am talking about only after 3 packs. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Greg
GKHTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i've been complaining about the new take offs for a while now, so why not once more. it sounds like you're talking about the phenomenon commonly referred to as ribbing. my take offs were notorious for this, regardless of camber setting or link placement. lately everyone's been running tire/rim/insert combos that combine to form an air gap inside the tire. it produces massive grip, at the expense of accellerated wear. take off redesigned their inserts about 10 months ago, and this resulted in a lower profile design that, you guessed it, performs better on the track than the wallet. now i'm not saying that take off's wear poorly, just poorer than in the past. in fact, they typically have more rubber than any of the competitors..ie, yok,sorex, or pits. i now use the take off inserts inside proline 1095's with the ribs of the wheel turned off. works like a champ. then, i can use hpi or echo back inside of the takeoffs. besides, the glr's started coming apart on me, so i prefer to glue my stuff up myself. hope this helps a bit.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Tech Regular

First check to see if anything is rubbing on the tire.
Second, take out the motor and spin the drive train. does everything spin smoothly?
Next, are you making more right turns than left, making more wear on the left tires.

does the car spin out more one way than the other: if so your car isn't balanced and may need some ballast on one side.

Are you running a one way, if so, do both tires spin smoothly.
Check your ride height all around,
Check droop.

Sounds like the tire is either spinning, rubbing or dragging.

or your running on an oval.
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Unusual tire wear

The wear that you are seeing is normal for most tires when using soft to medium inserts. It can be minimized by going to a firmer insert.
What happens is the insert deforms when cornering causing a high spot that wears faster than the rest of the tire. Less Camber may help, but at a possible loss in traction.
Go with the next step firmer insert the next time you glue up a set. and you should see an improvement.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:48 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have been reading you guys post. i was wondering if the take offs u were using were preglued? i just got a set of cs-22 preglued tires yesterday..
ROLLINGaFTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:19 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have the pre glued tires but I haven't had any really big probloms except for the wheels. They tend to bend ofter a big hit. When you go to check camber settings they are all funky at different points on the tire. The only way to get somewhat close to working setings is to use my hudy setup guages. They do give decent traction though. They also last longer than sorex, pit, and some other companies. Overall I think it's a good spec tire, but if they could improve the durability of the wheel they would be perfect good all around tire.
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #7
Tech Regular

GKHTC3:
Are you running the new Take Off Blue M inserts? I have also in the past complained like seaball.... the new Take Offs CS22 are really crap. I have a previous set that lasted me best part of 6 months and the new set I have lasted about 12 runs and I can see the belt. It is not just becos the inserts cos I bought another set and this time I put in the original CS22 black inserts and they still wore thru in no time.... looks like that TO has to make tyres that dont last to gain more sales as the previous tyres lasted so well and quite frankly I have not noticed any real grip difference, except if I use tyre additive to the new ones I get that ribbing within 2 run and the inside of mybody shell will be covered in rubber bits.....

I have now quit using CS tyres.... thank you Take Off for Taking the piss with us RC users!!!
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

yup, to further my comments, i too had every set of the glr's with the cross 12 spoke wheels warp very quickly. i cannot complain about the grip, but that's about it. when outdoor season rolls around, i will continue to find the best combo with the take offs as they are still a good deal for me since i pull the insert out for other combos.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:05 AM   #9
Tech Elite

by the way... rollingaftgt...you might off that set before you put any runs on them. i got $20 for a set i glued up and never ran. best $20 i ever made. i glued up like three full sets before i realized the wear pattern.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

This is a normal occurance. Your track most likely has a high speed righthand sweeper. You simply need to rotate the tires every other run. Also, you should try running a CS- MH (medium hard) insert if your track has good traction. You will notice an increase in side bite and a decrease in ribbing.

Now, I don't know how good you are, or how well your car is setup, but I would bet a nickel that you are turning the front wheels more than the arc of the steering angle. If so, you are scrubbing the front tires excessively more than needed. This is most likely the reason for you and some of the others that have posted here's uneven wear. (those of you that know you aren't doing that don't flame me- you know what I'm saying)

Hope this helped...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Has anybody tried the Orion High Pressure inserts in Take-Off tires? They seem to be about the same diameter as the 2002 blue Take-Off inserts. I have some CS-32s with the older black inserts that do not have the same amount of airgap or bite characteristics as my CS-27s with blue inserts and was wondering about replacing them with the Orion inserts as I cannot find any blue Take-Off inserts locally.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:56 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

We are using the CS tires as regulated tires here in Finland and the CS-22 is really a pain in high byte carpet. I'm running very hard inserts at the moment with good results. They are harder than the Take Off MH. Also avoid using wheels that have high inner ribs. Some people also use the stock grey insert (M) but first put a layer of double-sided tape on the wheel to decrease the airgap. Some just use the CS-27, but it's not as fast. Also try not to run excessive camber/caster. Another big problem is that the rubber just tears itself at the side.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:28 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I am running the Take Off CS-32GL, and am now rotating them after each day of running. Looking at them after this past Saturday (a nice day in the Mid-South - although now, I think Winter is near), there seems to be more evenness. The inserts, I am not sure about since these are premounted tires.

We always set up our recreational courses to run clockwise, since that is the club's direction of choice. So there is naturally, more right turning. Maybe we should start alternating that.

Greg
GKHTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote