R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

BTW, RC anonymus, I have bearings, and they all feel fine.
Bushings in a TC4?

bigair
bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

i have the team kit and the factory team kit tc4 and haven't had the problem with the lightened steel outdrives. the cvd rips out of the plastic ones even if i use a stock motor. they also melt.

todd
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVFracingwilly
You say you have replace just about everything else in the diff but the outdrives. When i ran my tc4 i did experiance the same problem you have. I think it was the raised portion that captures the diff ring is to tall and when it expandes it binds on the gear try a new set of outdrives and if that doesnt do it carefully sand down the raised area and that should take care of it.
This is exactly it. I used to sand down the retainer edge for the diff rings JUST enough to hold the ring in place. You could actually see on the diff gear where the outdrive had rubbed it. After it gets warm it expands.

Once I sanded, I ran the same rear plastic diff for a year and it was still smooth, and never slipped or tightened up during a run.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Default In the manual?

What page in the instruction manual was that on?
Just Joking.

I have an XXX-S, if you were to write down all the information necessary to maintain adjust and be competitive with this car it could easily run another 30 pages of double sided text.
If you think about it the manuals that come with the cars are totally inadequate for anything besides running the car a few times a year in street in front of you house. What is sad is that the companies have the additional information they are just to cheap to publish it.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah
What page in the instruction manual was that on?
Just Joking.
I built a few TC3/TC4 kits in my day, and NONE of them went together correctly without a dremel. I swear I even remember a supplement sheet one time using the words grind and dremel, or something to that effect?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

OK, After checking again, I did see a rub mark on the outdrive faces on both sides. Oddly enough, I couldn't see any marks on the Spur.
I filed down the plastic ledge for the diff rings until the "scratch" was gone, then I went a bit further to be sure they didn't rub again.
Tried the tc4 2day at the track. The Plastic rear diff Still got warm and tightened up. So I gave up, bought the steel OD's, and rebuilt using the old thrust bearings, washers, and spring. I had to use new diff rings, but used the old balls and spur. So.... The ONLY thing that was NEW in this rebuild is the rings and steel outdrives.
It now works fine. Nice and smooth like Butta', loose without slip, and never got hot after 3 heats and a Main. I still don't know what went wrong with the plastic diff, but I'll agree that the metal ones just don't do it, for whatever reason. Hmpphhh.....

BTW, The new steel diffs needed to be tweaked to work with the stock bearings cuz the spindle was too big. After chucking it up and sanding it down, we got the bearings to work, but it was a major hassle.

Bigair
bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #22

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

With the IRS aluminum outdrives, I remember having to use bushings. There was a sheet that came with them that specified bushings. Not sure if that is the case with the steel outdrives or not, I'm guessing no.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to RH Customs Send a message via Yahoo to RH Customs

I had the same problem with my TC3, I have no had the problem at all with the aluminum IRS outdrives in my TC4. What you could try doing is putting more grease on the diff rings. That should help, just sounds like there is to much friction and not enough lube.

RH
RH Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

My problem is quite the opposite... my lighten steel diffs keep loosening and mass slippage occurs. Any suggestions?
spidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to apexraceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidude
My problem is quite the opposite... my lighten steel diffs keep loosening and mass slippage occurs. Any suggestions?

change the T-nut assembly
apexraceway is offline   Reply With Quote