R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Drift/Touring Car advise (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/987778-drift-touring-car-advise.html)

Rascalbum 05-17-2017 07:01 AM

Drift/Touring Car advise

hey guys,

not sure if this is the right place for this or not but im looking into purchasing my first dedicated on road car. I have a few short course trucks currently and wanted to cange it up and do something on road based. The problem i'm having is making a solid decision about what platform would be best for me.

I know its a bit of a stretch but i would like a car that can be used for both grip and drift. I know typically this isn't ideal but im not looking to win races just get myself outside and have some fun.

I have been looking into both the Tamiya TT-02 chassis (both D and s trims) as well as the 3racing sakura d4 in both awd/rwd but i don't know enough to make a solid decision about what would serve my purposes best. I would like to keep the initial cost sub $200, and i have a spare brushless 540 motor, esc and receiver sitting around in another chassis that is broke currently.

Any input or guidance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

WagwanBumba 05-17-2017 07:10 AM

TT02s in my opinion.

I went from dirt off road (but because the track had to close) to on-road and I would pick the TT02 over the D4 any day. But that's because I much prefer grip to drift. TT02 you can still "drift" but it won't be with CS because I don't think the gears exist for the TT02 and on the other side I don't think the D4 would do too well with grip. The steering geometry is all wrong for grip.

0010 05-17-2017 07:22 AM

I don't have any experience with the D4, but I can tell you that a TT-02 can be a decent car for your first touring car. We race them at our club and several guys have both a race car and a drift car using the TT platform. The D is geared toward drifiting and won't race well. The S is geared toward racing and won't drift well, however, throwing in a locked diff and changing tires and some suspension settings will allow you to drift an S.

Vice versa, you can throw a normal diff in a D, put on some different tires and go racing, but you won't have as much adjustability in the suspension to adjust to track conditions.

Rascalbum 05-17-2017 08:14 AM

So it seems the tt-02s may be my best compromise. I'm not opposed to changing diffs and tires when I want to change things up.

The spare motor I have sitting around is a Dynamite 3300Kv 4-pole brushless motor, would that be overkill for the chassis?

Also as far as body's go what do I look for for proper fitment? All my other trucks came with pre finished bodies.

RONAMYTH 05-17-2017 09:05 AM

Not sure about the motor you have, but any 200mm wheelbase body will work, they only make about a thousand of them:lol:

zaraz 05-17-2017 09:45 AM

tt02 is 190mm, you would need 190mm body, can use 200mm but would need correct offset wheels, to look correct. Tamiya bodies will fit perfectly and have the dimples marked out for proper fitment with the tt02.

Billy Kelly 05-17-2017 12:00 PM

Any touring car can be made to drift. And I've almost always suggested starting with a touring car for this reason. Most that try drift don't stick with it. At least going with a touring car gives the option of just using it as a road car

Drift_Buggy 05-19-2017 01:44 AM

Does your local club run classes for Tamiya TT02/TT01 etc.?
Sure you can throw some plastic/abs drift tires on any on-road car but 50/50 drift isn't really that great/fun compared to cs/rwd.
Personally if I had a choice of either two for drifting I would choose the D4 or maybe even D3, however for racing, well I probably wouldn't choose either one, would probably go with TB series Tamiya or even TA07 etc. Can pickup 2nd hand Xray T4's for pretty good price which have seen setup good for both drift and racing.

LJH 05-19-2017 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rascalbum (Post 14930056)
So it seems the tt-02s may be my best compromise. I'm not opposed to changing diffs and tires when I want to change things up.

The spare motor I have sitting around is a Dynamite 3300Kv 4-pole brushless motor, would that be overkill for the chassis?

Also as far as body's go what do I look for for proper fitment? All my other trucks came with pre finished bodies.

I just finished a TT02 build and for the price I think Tamiya, once again, did a good job. The chassis seems robust, there is good support for it both from Tamiya and the aftermarket and it is cheap. While I have little interest in drifting I ended up with the TT02 because I plan on running it on unprepared tarmac surfaces 99% of the time and I liked the fact that it offers the option of running a higher then normal TC ground clearance.

Cheers,
Jim

Rascalbum 05-19-2017 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy (Post 14931596)
Does your local club run classes for Tamiya TT02/TT01 etc.?
Sure you can throw some plastic/abs drift tires on any on-road car but 50/50 drift isn't really that great/fun compared to cs/rwd.
Personally if I had a choice of either two for drifting I would choose the D4 or maybe even D3, however for racing, well I probably wouldn't choose either one, would probably go with TB series Tamiya or even TA07 etc. Can pickup 2nd hand Xray T4's for pretty good price which have seen setup good for both drift and racing.

I don't have any clubs that are local to me. It's just going to be me and an empty parking lot. The closest track to me is over an hour away and they only support off road racing.

Billy Kelly 05-19-2017 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rascalbum (Post 14931843)
I don't have any clubs that are local to me. It's just going to be me and an empty parking lot. The closest track to me is over an hour away and they only support off road racing.

With no club a touring car is good place to start. Be suprised how well they can drift with practice. I had the D4 RWD. Never got it to work. Maybe if I had club I'd have stayed with RWD. But it's just me. I keep a Touring car set for drift, and my older countersteer D3.

Drift_Buggy 05-20-2017 08:29 PM

Another chassis to consider is the Yokomo SD9.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...tc-sd9/p267795

https://images.amain.com/images/larg...okmrtc-sd9.jpg

Rascalbum 05-23-2017 03:23 PM

I went ahead and sprung for the tt-02 type s chassis. It arrived yesterday so hopefully I'll get it put together sometime this week.